PM ends up in OUTbox and not in SENT-box ?

BULE

PM ends up in OUTbox and not in SENT-box ?

Post by BULE »

I just tried to send a PM to another member and was surprised to find the message in my OUTbox after, but not in the SENT-box. After writing the msg, I clicked on SUBMIT as usual, so I expected the msg to be delivered to the recipient.
what went wrong there ? I never had problems sending a PM before. When I now open my user control panel, I can see the said msg in myOUTbox, but with a remark "sent: Fri March 22, 11.29 PM". But sent to where ? just to my Outbox ? or did it reach the actual recipient ?

could I please get a feedback from those in the know, thank you very much
Gaybutton

Re: PM ends up in OUTbox and not in SENT-box ?

Post by Gaybutton »

Nothing went wrong. That's how it is supposed to work. The message will remain in your Out box until your recipient receives it. After he does, the message will appear in your Sent box.
BULE

Post by BULE »

ah okay, it hoped it would be like that. thanks for confirming
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Well, that explains why some of my PMs remained in the outbox.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:Well, that explains why some of my PMs remained in the outbox.
When you send a PM, two things happen next. The system automatically sends an Email notification to your recipient and the Email contains a link to the PM. That's fine, assuming your recipient registered with a legitimate Email address and checks his Email once in awhile.

The second thing that happens is a small notification, again with a clickable link, appears when your recipient logs on to the board.

If your PM remains in your outbox, then for whatever reason your recipient never read it.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Another interesting feature of the OUTbox is that the sender can remove the message as long the receiver hasn't clicked on it to read it. Then you will just see a message that the sender withdrew his message.

This is absolutely unique, unlike letters (paper), emails, messages on gayromeo, in fact any message on paper or in electronic form that I can think of, that are the property of the receiver, once the sender clicked on "send".
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Gaybutton wrote:" ... When you send a PM, two things happen next. The system automatically sends an Email notification to your recipient and the Email contains a link to the PM ... "
Not necessarily. You have to have your permission to receive PM notification toggled to 'ON' in your Control Panel settings. If you toggle it to the 'OFF' setting you'll receive no notification.
Now I believe the default is 'ON' ... so in order to not to receive notifications you have to consciously go into the Control Panel and turn it off. (Not 100% sure about the default part.)

The phpBB PM protocols on this are a bit confusing. The two 'Out' boxes would probably be more easy to understand if they were labeled 'Out Box' and 'PM Received Box' ... rather than 'Out' and 'Sent'.
As far as I know the Admins of phpBB boards have no control in this particular matter. It's preset.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )