Get ready .... here in the UK ....

whitedesire

Get ready .... here in the UK ....

Post by whitedesire »

.... we will soon be able to get married in a church if the vote goes through this evening through the Houses of Parliament. Needs to go through the House of Lords after though, but all looks good ....
Alex

Re: Get ready .... here in the UK ....

Post by Alex »

Great, the vote went through, and assuming that the same will be the case in the House of Lords as well, the registry office wedding will be open to all gays in England and Wales.

I'm not sure about churches, I think it hasn't been decided yet if they will be forced to hold wedding ceremonies for gays by law or if they'll be free to decide?!

There was quite some opposition from conservatives though, and I had to laugh when I read the following comment:

But Conservative MP David Burrowes said: "We do respect the equal value of men and women, but surely that doesn't avoid us looking and celebrating difference, and marriage is a great way of celebrating the difference between a man and a woman." (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220)

Seriously, celebrating the difference between a man and a woman. Comedy Gold! :lol:
Jun

Post by Jun »

Alex wrote:I'm not sure about churches, I think it hasn't been decided yet if they will be forced to hold wedding ceremonies for gays by law or if they'll be free to decide?!

I thought there was some provision that specifically ensures churches, mosques etc do not have to marry gay people.
That's probably the right policy.
However I do suspect there are some double standards in operation. If a gay establishment banned moslems (or any other specific religion), there would be an outcry. Also, people from certain religious groups get away with homophobic comments, but I'm quite sure we would have a much harder time criticising their religion.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Jun wrote: I thought there was some provision that specifically ensures churches, mosques etc do not have to marry gay people.
That's my understanding, too, but I think there are efforts under way to force (only) the "state-run" Church of England to marry gay people. I don't think that has been a part of the legislation that has already been passed, however, and I'm not sure if these efforts will be successful.