Yet another school shooting in USA - 20 children dead

Gaybutton

Yet another school shooting in USA - 20 children dead

Post by Gaybutton »

I wish I could understand why the USA refuses to do much of anything to bring guns, especially assault weapons, under control. How many more have to be killed in mass shootings by some crazed individual before something very serious is done to keep these weapons out of the hands of these kinds of animals. When Charlton Heston was the spokesman for the NRA, he opened his speech by saying. "From my cold, dead hands!" I, for one, would be perfectly willing to be the one to pry those guns from those cold, dead hands, especially if those cold, dead hands became cold, dead hands because of becoming the victim of one of these shooters.

This time 20 children are dead, even more children are traumatized, an entire community is devastated, and the lives of so many families are destroyed forever in a matter of a few minutes. I don't know how anyone could get over an incident like this. They are becoming so commonplace that instead of reacting with shock that something like this could take place, now people tend to react with, "What, another one?"

I have to wonder what kind of system the USA maintains that makes it possible for some nut to just walk in and start murdering people. I think it's quite a sad situation when virtually every parent in the USA sending their child off to school in the morning can't be certain that child is going to come home again.

So far, the best coverage I have been able to find is from CBS. It is a 50 minute video report of what happened:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137151n
lvdkeyes

Re: Yet another school shooting in USA - 20 children dead

Post by lvdkeyes »

If you ever post on Huff on AOL anything about being pro gun control, which I have, you would understand why nothing is done. There are so many people who throw up the second amendment as an argument and posting such nonsense as "cars kill more people than guns; should we ban cars?" One even posted that a gas can and a Zippo could do more damage than guns. With that kind of mentality among so many people, it's easy to see why guns are not better controlled.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:nonsense as "cars kill more people than guns; should we ban cars?"
I'd ask them how many cars drive into movie theaters or schools and then start intentionally running over people. Maybe another argument that would fit right in to their kind of logic is heart attacks kill more people than guns. Should we ban hearts?

When it's their child, their friend, or their close relative that gets shot and killed by one of these gun nuts, then I'll be glad to listen to them tell me all about how there should be no gun control.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

You should go to AOL and respond to the nut cases who post there. It would be a revelation.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:You should go to AOL and respond to the nut cases who post there. It would be a revelation.
It would be too frustrating for me. I'd rather just take your word for it.

Here is President Obama's reaction to this school shooting:

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Some of the assholes on AOL also criticized the president saying he was just acting and he was a fake. I do get frustrated with idiots.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Some of the assholes on AOL also criticized the president saying he was just acting and he was a fake. I do get frustrated with idiots.
I share your frustration. I know I over-quote George Carlin, but I always thought he said things best. And one thing he said that I think would particularly apply to the kinds of comments you have been seeing: "Some people are fuckin' stupid!"
anonone

Post by anonone »

I tend to agree for the need for better gun control...but you are delusional if you think that will prevent further massacres at schools and malls.

The root issue is culture and upbringing. I haven't followed this latest incident closely, but I seem to recall the shooter was a son of a school teacher there. Talk about some pent up anger and mommy issues going on.

These types of individuals are not going to be "stopped" if they don't have access to guns. You laughed at the gas can and zippo comment, but it is a bit on target. Someone intent on causing this type of mayhem is not concerned with the method...just the result.

And no, I don't know what the answer is....but we need to change something about our culture to make people less up-tight...more accepting of others....something. I don't think there is any other country that has these types of issues on such a regular basis....Why is the USA so messed up with this stuff as compared to the rest of the world...?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

anonone wrote:I seem to recall the shooter was a son of a school teacher there.
Actually, the latest news reports are now saying the original reports that his mother was a teacher at that school were incorrect and it turns out his mother was not a teacher there at all and had no known connection to the school.

But I think you're right in that if someone wants a gun badly enough, he'll manage to get one. Still, I see no logic in making it easy to get one. I agree that bans on these kinds of weapons are in themselves not enough to prevent these things. Much more than that will have to be proactively done. I don't have a clue what that might be, but I hope they can come up with something effective - and come up with it before we have to hear about another similar incident.

Even as recently as today, yet another gun nut started firing off shots at a California shopping mall. Fortunately, this time no one was hurt: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/16/ma ... in-the-air
crabby

Post by crabby »

Time to bring back Prohibition, this time on guns, it was so successful last time, we should do it again.