Jimmy Saville

whitedesire

Jimmy Saville

Post by whitedesire »

I am surprised there isn't a thread been opened on Jimmy Saville (well only the Brits will know who he is).

There is not a day that goes by without additional material on this case.
Gaybutton

Re: Jimmy Saville

Post by Gaybutton »

I was not familiar with this. Since your post I did a quick search and came up with: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... andal.html

It does appear to be good scandal fodder. Based on a very quick read-through, it appears that he is a well known British personality who was accused of pedophilia activities, but now the accusation has been recanted. Still, there are quite a lot of people who are convinced he did as accused and quite a lot who are convinced he did not.

Do I have it correct?
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

I'll leave it to Whitedesire to comment on that as he was the OP and I don't wish to tread on his toes. But suffice to say almost everybody in Britain now thinks the allegations are well-founded, including his family who went so far as to have the headstone on his grave removed and destroyed.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

I don't mind Rogie, go ahead. There is so much on this, there isn't a day that goes by when there is something else on this subject. Jimmy Saville isn't the only one to be implicated in this though. The police have interviewed Gary Glitter, Freddie Starr. And it is reported a well known politician is going to be named. It goes on and on.

One thing that did make me wonder how small minded people are is is Jim Davison (a well known comedian in the UK), who said or words to the effect ".... is full of gays and paedophiles". Now how someone can relate one to the other just shows how small minded they are.

GB, here in the UK, Sir Jimmy Saville as he is known (I'm sure that title will be stripped of him as has his grave headstone been), was a institution, he had so many charities in his name, mainly geared towards children with mental and handicapped problems, but also children who had been in hospital as a child; alleged dressing room romps; alleged romps in hospital nurses homes; the list goes on. He had a programme over the years called "Jim'll Fix It", which says what it does in the name, he would fix their dream as so to speak, that might be a visit to a theme park or meet one's favourite pop star. He died last year at age 84. Lots of people knew about what he was allegedly up to but nothing was said. These stories and all that goes with it should have been "out" years ago.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Sounds quite similar to the American version of this kind of scandal - Jerry Sandusky
Jun

Post by Jun »

whitedesire wrote:I am surprised there isn't a thread been opened on Jimmy Saville
I don't see what relevance that piece of **** has here.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

Yes GB, "Jerry's" case was also fairly leading news here in the UK also, even though no one had heard of him here in the UK. The thing is with Jimmy Saville, it wasn't just with young teenage girls it was alleged he committed offence, there were also cases of young boys as young as 9 it was alleged he committed an offence. They have frozen his "estate" of £4 million - for obvious reasons, there is always money involved.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

Whereas I am in agreement with Jun that Jimmy Savile has turned out to be a most unsavoury character, I am surprised at his outburst - surely something that has hogged the headlines in the British press for the past few weeks is a perfectly valid topic for this forum (Everything Else). I was going to say a topic for debate but it rapidly became pretty obvious what his true nature was, so not much room for debate there. What we can debate though is why he was able to get away with that kind of behaviour for so long when quite clearly many people in the BBC and elsewhere knew or suspected what he was up to. I think when it comes to the different modus operandi of men abusing youngsters that people like Savile and Jerry Sandusky are quite different. Whereas, as far as my limited knowledge goes, I believe Sandusky 'groomed' his victims, Savile seems to have adopted a 'bull in the china shop' approach which relied on the victim being so star-struck she (usually a girl) fell under his spell. I don't think he had any interest in 'grooming' and in any case he was far too impatient, well why not when the supply was seemingly inexhaustible. But it wasn't only young girls in the prime of life that were his victims, it was children in hospital and those in young persons (childrens) homes he targeted - quite despicable and almost unbelievable really . . . unbelievable he did it and unbelievable he got away with it.

No, we might not like Savile or Sandusky, but these things have happened and are most worthy of discussion because those kinds of people are not going to magically cease to exist. I've just read an article in the Bangkok Post concerning youngsters being 'chatted up' on Facebook in Indonesia and being trafficked for sex. So it seems to me the Savile's and Sandusky's of this world are like the bit of an iceberg we can see, below the surface are the anonymous traffickers using a variety of methods to ensnare their victims. The methods change but the tales of misery and ruined lives don't.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

The latest on this has gone even further now. It has been reported that children's care homes in Wales that were investigaged about 2000 with regard to the same subject were not thoroughly investigated. This will be reopened. It is also alleged that a senior policitician from the Thatcher era is involved. I suspect he will be named sooner or later. It gets more horrendous by the day.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

The police say there are 200 people reporting cases of sexual abuse with regard to the Jimmy Saville case, known as Operation Yewtree and there are additional cases being reported as separate cases. The people that have been arrested are household names, whether it will be proven or not remains to be seen but Dave Lee Travis is the latest, over the past couple of weeks, Garry Glitter, Freddie Starr, and a colleague of Jimmy Saville, Wilfred De'ath. It has also reported that Cyril Smith was involved in a separate story/case - Cyril if any Brits remember has passed away now, a few years ago, but was a larger than your average MP for the Liberal party for many years. Similar to Jimmy Saville, Cyril's headstone has now been removed.

One sad thing about this is Lord McAlpine (a member of the Margaret Thatcher era/government, Treasurer I think) who was "named" by someone only to be later mistaken of the identity. McAlpine has totally been "damaged" by this.