Americans, who ya gonna vote for?

Gaybutton

Americans, who ya gonna vote for?

Post by Gaybutton »

Are you thinking Obama or Romney? George Carlin doesn't vote at all:

Jomtienbob

Re: Americans, who ya gonna vote for?

Post by Jomtienbob »

It may be good humor, but the truth is that not voting allows the majority (or in some cases some semblance of a majority) that do, decide.

An election has to be close in order to steal it.

This year, VOTE AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

And to answer the question: No brainer, OBAMA!
Rin

Post by Rin »

Here is a good biographical video on Romney. I'm sure all his supporters would want you to at least view it and give him your consideration.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-a ... built-that
Bob

Post by Bob »

Rin wrote:I'm sure all his supporters would want you to at least view it and give him your consideration.
While I was a big fan of George Romney (a very honest, consistent, and moderate Republican....and a very good governor of my state), I simply can't trust any politician that so publicly "flip-flops" on important issues. Given you're obviously a support of Mitt, I'm curious as to how you can reconcile his changing positions. For example only:

Abortion: This is exactly what he said while running for the US Senate against Teddy Kennedy in 1994: "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country.” In 1998, while running for governor of Massachusetts, this is exactly what he said: "I will preserve and protect a woman’s right to choose and am devoted and
dedicated to honoring my word in that regard."

Health Care Coverage: In the 1994 Senate race, he said he would support the health care act proposed by Senator Chafee which contained a full federal mandate for all citizens. He said many times during that race that he supported "universal coverage." While Governor of Massachusetts, he proposed and ultimately signed what became known (more recently) as "Romneycare" and that law was a state government mandate for every single citizen of Massachusetts to acquire health insurance coverage.

There are other similar "switcheroos" on important issues but I'm wondering how anybody, as a supporter of Mitt Romey, can reconcile his current views with his prior positions.

But what bothers me the most currently about Mitt is his absolute refusal to give any specifics at all as to how he would cut the federal deficit (other than he'll cut the hell out of it). He's been asked 100's (maybe 1000's) of times as to specifics and he simply refuses to provide any at all. He responds by saying it depends on talks he will have with Congress after he's elected and that we'll just have to "trust" him that he'll get it done. I personally don't "trust" any politician of either party but the "trust me" response by any of them is, for me, about the equivalent of telling me: "shut the fuck up, I either don't know or I don't want to tell you because my real position would make me unelectable."

In any event, just curious how you view these particular points.
Rin

Post by Rin »

Bob, you evidently did not watch the video.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Rin, I'm mystified why you assume Bob did not watch that video from the Jon Stewart show. I did and thought it made the point that Romney is inconsistent at best. Frankly, I have no idea what the man believes, and I've really tried to listen carefully to his statements (all the versions).
Rin

Post by Rin »

Rich, I was being facetious in my statement as proven by the satirical video pointing out Romney's inconsistencies.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Rin wrote:Bob, you evidently did not watch the video.
I actually did, but would note that my comments were inappropriately aimed at you (they were intended for those who support Romney). Romney seems like a nice guy but I simply can't get past his flip-flops and inability to say anything specific. Everybody's for reducing the deficit, a reasonable defense, a fairer tax system, etc., but saying you support those things doesn't mean squat if the politician won't say how he/she would accomplish any of those goals.

Obama's presidency has been disappointing on many levels but that's due to a whole lot of factors. One, I think, is Obama's style of leadership - which I think is well-intended but rather ineffective. Another, of course, is the apparently intentional choice by a large group of Republicans who have pretty much taken the view that they'd do anything to try to undermine his presidency irregardless if their actions harm the country as a whole. A rather sad mess we have.
shamahan

Post by shamahan »

I will vote for Romney. On positive side , Romney promotes the idea of economic freedom and I perceive this as the major kind of freedom the individual may have. On negative side,
United States is on the path of total collapse. By this I mean the possible default of Federal government on debt obligations. Whether it will be a direct default or infinite money printing (which Fed already started) does not really matter. The outcome will be terrible for all Americans either way. Whether Obama is doing this deliberately or just because he simply is not capable to comprehend it is frankly irrelevant. From this perspective this is probably the most important American elections in recent history and will eventually determine the fate of the country (or perhaps the whole civilization as we know it).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »