Only curiosity!

thaiworthy

Re: Only curiosity!

Post by thaiworthy »

bkkguy wrote:yes but he said this a few weeks before he really understood infectious diseases and genetic pre-disposition and a few other minor issues!

how many doctors still treat AIDS, diabetes, or most other diseases based on a knowledge of the four humors?

bkkguy
Have you never heard of "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?"

Get real. If I break my leg, I'm not going to treat it with chicken soup!
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

thaiworthy wrote:Get real. If I break my leg, I'm not going to treat it with chicken soup!
so when christianpfc says "I don't take any medicine ... with normal healthy food you don't need anything else" and you reply "This is absolutely correct" perhaps what you really mean is "sometimes" or "usually" rather than "absolutely"?

forgive me if I am not "real" enough for you - I am just a simple native English speaker trying to understand other people's usage of the language

bkkguy
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

windwalker wrote:
christianpfc wrote:I don't. I don't take any medicine (or medicine like substances, vitamines, food supplements). .
What about vaccines? Antibiotics for infections and STDs? Anesthesia for dental work?
Fluoride in toothpaste?
Now with your comment, I realize my post was incomplete. I forgot to add: without a doctor's advice.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

bkkguy wrote: . . . perhaps what you really mean is "sometimes" or "usually" rather than "absolutely"?
Nonsense. Merely hyperbole.

bkkguy wrote:forgive me if I am not "real" enough for you - I am just a simple native English speaker trying to understand other people's usage of the language
You're forgiven.

The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.
--Thomas Edison.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

thaiworthy wrote:
The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.
--Thomas Edison.
US doctors get very little in the way of nutrition education in med school. That's why, if needed, they send you to a nutritionist.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:they send you to a nutritionist.
Where does the nutritionist get his education?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

He/she gets a degree in nutrition from a university.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

thaiworthy wrote:
--Thomas Edison.
That is what Steve Jobs believed until it was too late for effective treatment.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:That is what Steve Jobs believed until it was too late
So did Euell Gibbons

christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

We have to distinguish three cases:

diseases that can easily be cured (like my last diarrhoea, from taking antibiotics to a significant improvement only 12 hours, efficient and cheap),

diseases that are difficult to cure (or the cure does not really help the patient, but is a great way for pharmaceutical companies to make money, like cancer and HIV - uncurable at the moment, but expensive medicine is necessary to delay the outbreak of AIDS),

ailments due to lifestyle choices, that can partially be cured by medicine (e.g. problems due to drinking, smoking, unhealthy food, lack of exercise; it would be best to give up the unhealthy lifestyle, but people prefer to take medicine to partially cure the effects)