Billionaires' yachts in Canary Wharf

whitedesire

Billionaires' yachts in Canary Wharf

Post by whitedesire »

I'm working in Canary Wharf at the moment and looking out my window - what a view - boats and yachts galore for the Olympics.

The latest to arrive tomorrow is Roman Abramovich's yacht. A couple of week's ago it was Paul Allen's Octupus yacht (he is from Microsoft) (apparently one the biggest yachts in the world), apart from nameless other people's yachts. Floating German yacht as a hotel also. One massive yacht had its massive screen on tonight watching the Olympics. Why Canary Wharf I don't know.

Apparently Brad Pitt and Jodie Angelina, the Beckhams and a whole host of others have been invited to a "bash" on Paul Allen's yacht, along with Bill Gates also. Erm!!

Envious or is it just plain greed. Wish I had their wealth.
Bob

Re: Billionaires' yachts in Canary Wharf

Post by Bob »

Not likely any of us would be invited aboard but we might increase our chances if we didn't refer to their vessels as boats! :lol:
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

Yacht is a bit of a swine spelling-wise. Interestingly it is derived from a Dutch word yaghte, or yaghtschip, being a 'fast piratical ship'.

Paul Allen seems to have earned his money fairly so he's no pirate, but I have reservations about Abramovich as he is one of the so-called Russian oligarchs, and I have always wondered how he came by his fabulous riches, so I suppose to my mind I suspect he's something of a latter-day pirate.

Pirate or no pirate I wouldn't turn down an invitation.

I've often thought it was a bad decision to do away with the Queen's yacht. The Britannia was de-commissioned, or whatever the expression used when a boat is no longer viable, and IMO she should have got a replacement. I have no idea how big the Britannia was, and wonder how it would have compared with some of those taking up space in Canary Wharf.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Rogie's post would make more sense had my post not been edited. Unbelievable.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote:Rogie's post would make more sense had my post not been edited. Unbelievable.
Very sorry, but terrible thing as it was for me to do, I corrected all the misspellings of 'yacht' in all the posts on this thread. I didn't know the misspellings were intentional. Mea culpa. And with or without the misspellings, Rogie's post still makes plenty of sense.

Of course, I can always put the misspellings back in . . .

Col Codman: "General Alexander sent this message reminding you not to take Palermo."
General Patton: "Send him a message, Cod. Ask him if he wants me to give it back."
- George C. Scott (General George S. Patton), 'Patton'
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

fanks GB. You do make me laugh, no doubt when I get into work today, the "big boat" will be in harbour, (or harbor).