FDA Approves New Diet Drug

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I hope this becomes available in Thailand soon. It certainly wouldn't hurt me any to shed excess tonnage. And I'm certainly not the only one around here with Roundus Poundus Ultimus Syndrome . . .

By William Hudson and Elizabeth Cohen, CNN
Tue July 17, 2012

(CNN) -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved a new prescription diet drug called Qsymia on Tuesday. The medication produced dramatic weight loss in clinical trials, but some are concerned over potential side effects, including increased heart rate, birth defects and other issues.

Qsymia (pronounced kyoo-SIM-ee-uh) is the second diet drug approved this year. The FDA approved a weight-loss pill called Belviq on June 27.

Qsymia had been known as Qnexa until its approval. The FDA asked the company to change the name to avoid confusion with another drug on the market, according to the company.

Patients in clinical trials experienced more dramatic weight loss with Qsymia than with Belviq. On Qsymia, patients went from an average 227 pounds to 204 pounds; on Belviq, the average weight dropped from 220 to 207.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2012/07/17/health/fda ... index.html