So you think SE Asia has inhumane prisons?

Jomtienbob

So you think SE Asia has inhumane prisons?

Post by Jomtienbob »

Very interesting article on a Supermax prison in Virginia.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/9624-hun ... conditions
Alex

Re: So you think SE Asia has inhumane prisons?

Post by Alex »

I think both SE Asia and America have inhumane prisons. Victor Bout, who is able to compare both, made some interesting remarks after he was extradited from Thailand to America.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Good on the US.

If people are in the prisons for criminal activity, why the hell shouldn't they be very very uncomfortable?

For me, there's definitely a role for a low cost prison that allows certain people to be locked away for 5~70 years at the lowest possible cost to the taxpayer. These would be for serious offences (theft, violence, murder), or for people on their second jail term.

As long as they've had a fair trial, I advocate making prison as miserable as possible.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Jun, if you had a friend or family member in prison you may think differently. And, for sure, if you ever are imprisoned you will think much differently.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Ok, I read the article and noted that while punishments for "breaking the rules" seem barbaric, it leaves out some salient information. For example, if a prisoner is sentenced to a life term and murders another prisoner, breaking that rule might justify some severe punishment. While the article states that the prison houses the "worst of the worst" it is difficult for me to generate a lot of sympathy for a guy who is a child torturer or murderer - although draconian measures are repugnant to me. I'm curious about how others would advise the warden to deal with habituated violent criminals who continue their criminal lifestyle while incarcerated.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Jun wrote: If people are in the prisons for criminal activity, why the hell shouldn't they be very very uncomfortable?
I'd agree that it shouldn't be too cozy, but there's a difference between uncomfortable and inhumane.

There's another point though. It makes sense for society that those in prison who aren't "career criminals" will return with their bodies and minds intact once their term is completed. Not to do them a favor in the first place, but to avoid further trouble with them. Keep in mind that your own mother could accidentally hit a pedestrian with her car tomorrow and be sent to prison for involuntary manslaughter.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I believe in more severe punishment for criminals who commit violent crimes. On the other hand, I don't believe in hiring guards who might as well have gotten their training at Auschwitz. In my opinion, even the worst criminals should at least be given decent food, be protected from violence and rape perpetrated by other inmates, and be protected from sadistic guards. To my mind, a prison guard who tortures prisoners should become a prisoner himself. While I realize the guards need to be able to control the prisoners, I don't see how it can be justified that torture, terror, and inhumanity is the way to do it.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Alex, I agree with you, but the prison in question would not be housing someone who was guilty of manslaughter. The article stated that it was a place reserved for the "worst of the worst."

And, GB, you are sidestepping the question. Given that prisoners there are true miscreants, how would you advise the warden to control them and maintain order? I would never be brave enough to advocate medieval torture, but I'm at a loss to come up with a socially acceptable technique for those who think nothing of murder, maiming, and terrorizing other prisoners. Once a criminal has been sentenced to life imprisonment, what other threats can be used? We can all wring our hands at how horrible such a place must be, but so far no one has offered an alternative to what is being done.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:how would you advise the warden to control them and maintain order?
I wish I knew, but I don't. But I fail to see how sadistically sick guards and draconian punishments are acceptable methods.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Gaybutton wrote:
RichLB wrote:how would you advise the warden to control them and maintain order?
I wish I knew, but I don't. But I fail to see how sadistically sick guards and draconian punishments are acceptable methods.
Nor are summary executions, the rack, or being boiled alive. Of course none of those methods are being proposed and other than the claims of the prisoners are there sadistic guards or draconian punishments. From what I read solitary confinement (without a stated end date), some bent back fingers (without knowing what was being held in a prisoner's fist), and non-tasty food are being cited as the inhumane treatment. Remembering the nature of these prisoners, I'm still at a loss to know how else to exert control.