A few riddles just for fun!

Gaybutton

Re: A few riddles just for fun!

Post by Gaybutton »

Christianpfc and Bob,

You both have some right and some wrong. I'll give it a couple more days before I post the answers, in case others decide to try too.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Since nobody else seems interested in giving it a try, here are the answers:

1. I love you, Spartacus. - Tony Curtis (Antoninus), 'Spartacus' - Tony Curtis was frequently imitated saying this line by impressionists such as Rich Little. In the movie, he says it as he is dying in Spartacus' arms.

2. As an actor, nobody could touch him. As a human being, nobody wanted to touch him. - Walter Matthau (Willy Clark). 'The Sunshine Boys' - as he is explaining to his nephew why he can't stand his former partner, Al Lewis (played by George Burns)

3. Not Slytherin. Not Slytherin. - Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' - the first Harry Potter movie - He is hoping to be selected for any house but Slytherin.

4. You can't handle the truth! - Jack Nicholson (Col. Nathan R. Jessup), 'A Few Good Men'

5. Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night. - Bette Davis (Margo Channing). 'All About Eve'

6. Houston, we have a problem. - Tom Hanks (Jim Lovell), 'Apollo 13'

7. But you are, Blanche. You are in that chair. - Bette Davis (Baby Jane Hudson), 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane'

8. I told you. Kill him. Kill him. It would have been so easy!- Gregory Peck (Dr. Josef Mengele), 'The Boys from Brazil'

9. My officers will not do manual labor. - Alec Guinness (Col. Nicholson), 'The Bridge on the River Kwai' - Col. Nicholson insisting to Col Saito (Sessue Hayakawa) that the Geneva Convention be adhered to.

10. What we've got here is failure to communicate. - Strother Martin (Captain), 'Cool Hand Luke'

11. Attica! Attica! Attica! - Al Pacino (Sonny Wortzik), 'Dog Day Afternoon'

12. Bligh, you've given your last command on this ship! - Clark Gable (Fletcher Christian), 'Mutiny on the Bounty'

13. Fiddle-dee-dee! War, war, war. This war talk's spoiling all the fun at every party this spring. - Vivian Leigh (Scarlett O'Hara), 'Gone With the Wind'

14. Open the pod bay doors, HAL. - Keir Dullea (Dr. Dave Bowman), '2001: A Space Odyssey'

15. That would be much too vulgar a display of power, Karras. - Linda Blair (Regan MacNeil), 'The Exorcist'

16. I didn't know 'till this day - it was Barzini all along. - Marlon Brando (Vito Corleone), 'The Godfather' - speaking to Michael after the meeting with the Five Families

17. You're going to need a bigger boat. - Roy Scheider (Chief Brody), 'Jaws'

18. Hercules, Hercules, Hercules. - Eddie Murphy (Mama Klump), 'The Nutty Professor'

19. I am going to be allowed to fulfill my destiny!- George C. Scott (General George S. Patton), 'Patton' - to his aide after yet another personal fiasco that keeps him out of the war

20. I don't know you. But you? I never forget a face - Mr. Chekov. - Ricardo Montalban (Khan), 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan'

21. Go ahead. Make my day. - Clint Eastwood (Harry Callahan), 'Sudden Impact'

22. Made it, Ma! Top of the World! - James Cagney (Cody Jarrett), 'White Heat'

23. I'll get you, my pretty - and your little dog too. - Margaret Hamilton (Wicked Witch of the West), 'The Wizard of Oz'

24. What a dump. - Bette Davis (Rosa Moline), 'Beyond the Forest'

25. I'll be back. - Arnold Schwarzenneger (Terminator), 'The Terminator'

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I know the actress who said, "I'd like to kiss you, but I just washed my hair.", but I don't remember the movie.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I know the actress who said, "I'd like to kiss you, but I just washed my hair.", but I don't remember the movie.
Bette Davis, 'The Cabin in the Cotton'

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Yes, after I posted it I looked on Google and found it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Yes, after I posted it I looked on Google and found it.
If I want to know recipes, I go to you. If you want to know movies, come to me . . .
Bob

Post by Bob »

After getting your answers, I could kick myself on a few. But there were 4 or 5 that were (and remain) totally unfamiliar to me (should have been more as I've actually never seen 8 of those movies).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote:But there were 4 or 5 that were (and remain) totally unfamiliar to me
Which ones?

Don't feel bad. I did say for some of these you have to really know movies. For some that you probably would have known instantly, I intentionally picked some of the lesser known lines. Some people say I am like a Savant when it comes to movies. I can't even imagine anyone missing "The Wizard of Oz" one. You might not remember the name of the actress, but I'll bet everyone remembers the line and the character. How could you have been a kid (or an adult) without knowing by heart virtually the entire script of "The Wizard of Oz"?

I really do know this stuff without cheating or having to look it up. I have absolutely no idea why I know movies so well, especially since I can never remember anything else. If I'm introduced to someone I've never met, I'll have to ask him to repeat his name at least a dozen times and I still won't remember! And I'd love to have one baht for every time I've walked into a room and can't remember why I went in there. But movies? Those, I remember.

My mother's side of the family has always been like that. If we're trying to remember the name of an actor or a movie and can't come up with it, we go nuts until we can. My mother tells a story that when I was just born, her mother came down to Washington, D.C. from New York for a week to help her with the newborn baby - me. They spent more time that week trying to remember the name of an actor than they did paying any attention to me. When my grandmother returned to New York, they still hadn't remembered the name.

Next night, my mother says, the phone rang about 3:30am. She drowsily answered the phone only to hear her mother's voice and two words: "Louis Calhern" - click.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hate to mention it (nah...that's a lie) but a few of the movies reflect your (and my) age. I can understand the concept, given my age, that it's somewhat unbelievable one wouldn't remember what the witch said to Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz but let's not forget the movie was made before either one of us was even born. It was on tv almost every year in the 50's and 60's and that's probably when you and I saw it; however, I'd bet that there's a whole lot of people under 40 years of age who've never watched it. On the other hand, I doubt if either of us knows a single line from Toy Story...hehe.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote:I doubt if either of us knows a single line from Toy Story...hehe.
I certainly don't. I neither watched it nor care to . . .