Marco Polo Restaurant - Montien Hotel

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lexusgs

Marco Polo Restaurant - Montien Hotel

Post by lexusgs »

Myself and a friend were in the mood for a decent Chinese meal and had been recommended to check out this place as a quality choice within Pattaya. Decor in the Restaurant was tired to say the least. Ceilings were cracked and falling apart. A kind of stale smell was in the air so slightly off putting to begin with. We were the only 2 people in the place which again should rang alarm bells but we decided to see things through as we thought the actual food put a better slant on out initial impressions. We ordered 2 Szechuan soup starters (250 bht each). Main course was Lemon Chicken and Duck. Food quality was decent. No rice was included in the main course. One beer and one Pepsi brought the total bill to 1850 bt. Service and VAT were charged as an extra which to be fair I guess I expected considering we were dining in a hotel. You could probably have a similar meal for half the price elsewhere (China Garden maybe) therefore we left slightly disappointed mainly due to the surroundings along with the cost. I don't mind paying higher prices if I can see value. For me, this place is a long way off offering anything remotely near it.
Gaybutton

Re: Marco Polo Restaurant - Montien Hotel

Post by Gaybutton »

I wish you had tried their Peking Duck. That seems to be their specialty. It's been a couple years since I was last there, but I've been there several times over the years and it was the best I've ever had, even better than I had in Singapore. They charge 1450 baht for it and I thought it was well worth it. It's certainly enough for three or four people. I too thought everything else was overpriced. Maybe the Peking duck is too, but I don't know anywhere else in town to get it.

The Montien also used to offer, once a week, an excellent Italian buffet for around 400 baht or so. Then they stopped it. While you were there, did you happen to notice if they're doing it again?

I wish there was an American style San Francisco type of Chinese restaurant in Pattaya, but there isn't. China Garden seems to be the best, but it definitely is not American style and they've also recently raised their prices. There's nothing wrong with China Garden. I really like it, but they simply don't offer what I'm really looking for. Besides, some of what they offer can easily be found in many Thai restaurants. One of my favorites at China Garden is the sweet and sour chicken. They charge 150 baht for it. Meanwhile, my Thai next door neighbor opened a door-front restaurant. She also makes sweet and sour chicken (Pad bee-ah wan kai). Hers is even better than China Garden's, in my opinion. It takes her all of five minutes to make it and she gives you more than twice as much as China Garden does, along with a generous portion of rice. Her price? 35 baht. If I'm in the mood for sweet and sour chicken, three guesses where I'll be getting mine . . .
lexusgs

Post by lexusgs »

Have to be honest. I didn't notice anything in terms of a buffet deal. This may help for the current month: http://www.montien.com/pattaya/news/

Another point, there is a large model in the lobby showing the building and location of their new hotel which replace the existing building/location. They seem to be moving the whole thing to new spot next to the Sanctuary of Truth at some point. I guess the current building is going to be sold off/demolished and something new will be constructed in its place. Must be a very valuable piece of land I guess.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:Maybe the Peking duck is too, but I don't know anywhere else in town to get it.
Try the Peking duck at the Siam Bayshore hotel.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Try the Peking duck at the Siam Bayshore hotel.
I will. Do you happen to know their price?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:
Undaunted wrote:Try the Peking duck at the Siam Bayshore hotel.
I will. Do you happen to know their price?
I Peking Duck....served in 3 courses 1120
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Is that per duck or per person?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Per DUCK. :oops:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Per person.
That seems awfully expensive to me, considering the price at the Montien is 1450 baht for the entire duck.