Hot Stuff ...

Smiles

Hot Stuff ...

Post by Smiles »

Donna Summer died today (or yesterday). She was hot stuff indeed in-her-time, which I hate to admit, was my time as well: That would be one of my times that is ... having had more than one! :lol:

There was this bar tender at Grasshopper Bar in Hua Hin (for a month or so ... he left abruptly, no notice, for places north east) who played this song quite a lot ... but more often around late afternoon when he was alone getting the place spiffed up for the evening: he'd be walking/dancing to the beat while sweeping.
I used to hear it blaring as I was finishing a beach run a couple of times and coming down the little soi past Grasshopper (our home was only two blocks away). I'd sometimes stop, tongue hanging out, and sit on the Grasshopper steps ~too sweaty for the real chairs ~ breathing heavily. The guy always gave me some water, as well as a smile, and having Donna in the background was rather a nice throw back.

Grasshopper is closed now, sadly ... and so is Donna Summer.

At one point in her life Donna was accused by the gay Brown Shirts of being a homophobe. But she denied it.

Lung cancer.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

bao-bao

Re: Hot Stuff ...

Post by bao-bao »

Gone at 63. It wasn't all that many years ago that I'd have said "Oh, she lived a full life" - but now that I'm gradually approaching that neighborhood myself I think "Wow... that's kind of young, isn't it?" How our perspectives change.

Back when the allegations about her comments regarding AIDS being a just punishment for being gay couldn't be Googled or looked up on Wikipedia all we had were the printed reports in The Advocate and other places, relating what some people claimed to have heard her say. Disco was past it's heyday by the mid-80s, and maybe she was bitter - or maybe she never said them at all. I suspect there was some truth to the allegations. We'll probably never know.

Personally I wasn't all that big a fan of hers as I wasn't a club person, and in retrospect that's probably a good thing. I do feel sorry for those who loved her - family and "family" - and when I hear a couple of her songs they do trigger memories of some pretty intense evenings between the sheets.

I liked the OP story, too. I'll take one of those in place of 50 of some of the others online. Thanks, Smiles!