A Cheat Sheet on Tipping Do's and Don'ts

Gaybutton

Re: A Cheat Sheet on Tipping Do's and Don'ts

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:I'm wondering what general guidelines guys here in Thailand use.
In general, I tip waiters, bellboys, taxi drivers, and of course young gentlemen. I sometimes tip others, depending on the circumstances and why I think a tip is appropriate, but in general that's where most of my tips go.
DeE

Post by DeE »

First off....if the service worker i.e. food/drink servers asks for a tip...I give them the "deer in the headlights look". Not sure why that annoys me but it does.

In the states I never tipped gas station attendants, but here I always do as long as they don't spill gas all over the side of the truck or overfill the motorbike....but I tend to use the same service stations. 20b

Car wash attendants yes...20b Food & drink service personal yes 20b-40b...except for the fast food places like McDonalds or KFC.

The telephone repair guys that come to your home. 50b

The three B's-----Barbers 30b, Boys "up to me" and the Boys in brown 100b but I suppose that it's more of a bribe than a tip with the latter.

Service personal at the condo i.e. security, maids, office staff, maintenance guys, gardener---NO, but I always buy them little trinkets or chocolates, food, or things they would never buy for themselves.

As a general rule any Thai who helps me out with a physical effort that is not part of their job will always get a tip--for example the lady who helped break into my condo when I locked the keys inside, 30b or the guy who helped me change a tire when I was stuck in the middle of rice fields between here and Udon Thani, 100b.

I realize that tips are not mandatory but I often justify it by realizing I was fortunate enough to be born, raised and retired in the west, allowing me a comfortable mode of life style over here----something the large majority of Thai workers will never experience.

Maybe it a guilt thing or maybe it's a "feel good" thing...in any case I enjoy tipping and I do it often.

Oh and the old guy(s) who are dragging themselves around the sois missing a leg or an arm, the blind man with his lady friend playing the fake guitar or whatever....I always give them a few baht. Sure he may not be blind, but on the other hand he may be. The kids selling flowers or gum...NEVER.

Total average cost for one month......Maybe 450b. Well worth it in my humble opinion and hoping I make a few brownie points for the life hereafter. ;)

Cheers....
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I don't tip my barber because she owns the shop. I don't tip in fast food restaurants. I tip delivery boys, waiters if no service charge is added, repairman in condo, bell boys and taxi drivers.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I tip delivery boys
Ah yes, delivery boys. I forgot about that. I tip them too. I don't live in a condo so I have no repairman to tip, but other than that my list is identical to yours.
painai2

Post by painai2 »

I always wonder if I should tip a delivery boy from a place that has a delivery/service charge. I usually tip him anyway.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

painai2 wrote:I always wonder if I should tip a delivery boy from a place that has a delivery/service charge. I usually tip him anyway.
Me too. I've always taken it for granted that a delivery charge has nothing to do with the delivery boy and he doesn't get anything from it. If he does, along with my tip he gets a few more baht, but I think all he gets is tips. In any case, considering that, for me, I might receive a delivery maybe once every two or three months, if even that often - tipping the delivery boy won't break the bank.