16 ounces ground pork
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)
Hot:
16 ounces ground pork
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp MSG (such as Accent)

Directions

Combine the ingredients for the desired flavor in a mixing bowl.
Form patties from the sausage and cook over medium heat until browned, in a skillet.

Breakfast pork sausage:
2 pounds ground pork, not too lean
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Pinch of cloves

Directions

Combine all ingredients by hand. Form into patties 1/4" thick or stuff into casings.
Gaybutton

Re: Sausage Recipe

Post by Gaybutton »

I've made both of those recipes several times and believe me, both are superb. The American Breakfast Sausage is excellent and very easy to make. I doubt you will have much of a problem finding all the ingredients, even in Ubon. If you go to buy imported American sausage, you need to mortgage your house to pay for it. But making your own is close to cost free. I buy about 25 baht worth of ground pork and it makes enough to last me three days.

For Italian sausage, I've seen it for sale in many stores in town, but have yet to find one that tastes even remotely like what I was used to back in the states. But this recipe is exactly what I wanted.
blue

Post by blue »

GB, Want to try my recipe?

I make my own dry rub for pan seared pork chops and also use it to make breakfast sausages, in patties or for omelets.

Dry rub recipe: 1 part cumin seeds,1 part coriander seeds,1 part peppercorns,
lightly toasted in a skillet , let cool and grind into powder, then mix with 1 part sugar 1/2 part salt.

I make a big batch and it last me a long time. Makes excellent sausages mixed with ground pork, easy and inexpensive.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you, blue. I'll certainly give it a try soon.
Klong

Post by Klong »

Gaybutton, In this thread above you talk about Italian sausage and imply that there is a recipe in this thread. I don't see it. Do you have one?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Klong wrote:Italian sausage and imply that there is a recipe in this thread. I don't see it.
You're looking in the wrong thread. Lvdkeyes posted his Italian Sausage recipe here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2026&p=17010#p17010
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Here are four versions of Italian sausage. All can be stuffed into casings or used loose or made into patties.

Italian Sausage I

800g diced pork shoulder
200g diced pork fat
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp fennel seeds, ground after toasting
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp fine coarse black pepper
7 ounces cold water

Marinate the pork shoulder and fat, overnight with salt, pepper, oregano, fennel and garlic.
Next day, mince the marinated meat through the coarse plate of your mincer. Add to this the cold water, and mix well using hands.
After flushing the casings keep them in a bowl of warm water next to the sausage stuffier. The warm water keeps the casing lubricated when you feed it onto the stuffing horn.
Select the stuffing horn that is best suited to the thickness of the casing you are using. Find the end of a casing and slip this over the end of the stuffing horn.
Push the casing over the stuffing horn towards the sausage stuffier, so that it forms an accordion-like pleat. Keep the casing wet throughout this process or it will not slide back on the stuffing horn very easily. Leave some of the casing hanging over the horn.
Start stuffing the sausage meat into the casing. You will need to regulate the flow of sausage into the casing, which will determine how tightly packed the sausage is. If you try and pack the sausage too tightly the casing will burst. If the casing does burst, tie it off at that point and start again.
To regulate the flow of sausage hold the casing on the stuffing horn with your thumb and forefinger. Increasing or decreasing finger pressure on the casing will determine how tightly and consistently the sausage is packed.
As the sausage comes out of the stuffing horn, you can tie the ends at regular intervals or make links by twisting the sausage.

Italian Sausage II

4 pounds boneless pork, shoulder or butt
1 tablespoon coarse ground fennel seed
2 bay leaves, crushed
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
5 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
3/4 Cup dry red wine
4 yards sausage casings
Olive oil for cooking

Grind the meat using the coarse blade.
Mix all ingredients together and allow the mixture to sit for 1 hour before stuffing into casings.
To cook, place in a frying pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook until the water evaporates. Then, continue to brown, turning once.
Use in any recipe where Italian sausages are called for.

Italian Sausage III

800g diced pork shoulder
200g diced pork fat
18g Fleur de Sel
2g ground white pepper
1g garlic powder
1g ground fennel
2g dried oregano
4g fine coarse black pepper
100g cold water
½ bundle pork casing

Marinate the pork shoulder and fat, overnight with salt, pepper, oregano, fennel and garlic.
Next day, mince the marinated meat through the coarse plate of your mincer. Add to this the cold water, and mix well.
After flushing the casings we like to keep them in a bowl of warm water next to the sausage stuffier. The warm water keeps the casing lubricated when you feed it onto the stuffing horn.
Select the stuffing horn that is best suited to the thickness of the casing you are using. Find the end of a casing and slip this over the end of the stuffing horn.
Push the casing over the stuffing horn towards the sausage stuffier, so that it forms an accordion-like pleat. Keep the casing wet throughout this process or it will not slide back on the stuffing horn very easily. Leave some of the casing hanging over the horn.
Start stuffing the sausage meat into the casing. You will need to regulate the flow of sausage into the casing, which will determine how tightly packed the sausage is. If you try and pack the sausage too tightly the casing will burst. If the casing does burst, tie it off at that point and start again.
To regulate the flow of sausage hold the casing on the stuffing horn with your thumb and forefinger. Increasing or decreasing finger pressure on the casing will determine how tightly and consistently the sausage is packed.
As the sausage comes out of the stuffing horn, you can tie the ends at regular intervals or make links by twisting the sausage.

Italian Sausage IV

5 pounds of pork shoulder
pork casings
25 grams whole fennel seed
50 grams fresh ground black pepper
35 grams salt
50 grams paprika
25 grams dried basil
15 grams dried oregano
2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
25 grams garlic, chopped
25 grams crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tbsp red wine

Soak the casings overnight in salt water.
Before using the casing rinse well and cut into 18 inch pieces.
Keep the casings in a small bowl of warm water.
Cut the pork into 1 inch cubes keeping some fat on the meat so the meats stays moist.
The best ratio to this is 80% meat 20% fat.
Using the meat grinding attachment, grind the meat into a ground pork type texture.
Season the meat with the remaining ingredients and thoroughly mix together by hand until all the spices are blended through.
Refrigerate the mixture overnight to let the spices blend.
Take the meat out of the fridge and let it stand for about 30 minutes to reach room temperature. It makes stuffing a lot easier and doesn't clog up the tube.
Test the flavor of the sausage by frying some up in a pan. Adjust seasoning accordingly before stuffing.
Using a tube attachment, carefully slide the casing on the tube. Stuff the casing with sausage mixture being careful not break the casing.
Remove any air bubbles with a toothpick. This is a two person job.
Twist the casing around every 6 inches.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I had never heard of Fleur de Sel. I had to look it up. Obviously it's not sold here (or I've never seen or heard of it). What do you recommend as a substitute?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Use Kosher salt or non iodized salt.