Rich Man Poor Man

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
firecat69

Rich Man Poor Man

Post by firecat69 »

I know they have been mentioned before but I am not sure where you can get home cooking as good as Rich Man Poor Man on Soi 9 in Jomtien.

I had their meatloaf which was close to being as good as my moms. A big helping served with mashed and a big serving of fresh vegetables . At 210 baht , I 'm not sure how you beat it. I certainly didn't need anything else but my sweet tooth called and I asked if their Apple Pie was Home Made. The reply was you bet so I took a chance. Now I have tried Apple pie allover Thailand and am almost always completely disappointed . From too much sugar, not enough apples, awful crust I find the Thais lacking in being able to turn out good pies or cakes.

This Apple Pie was not only the best I have had in Thailand by a mile it was in the Top 3 I have ever had. The serving was generous with fresh whipped cream for 85 baht.I have paid a lot more for a lot less!!! Glad it is a long ways from South Pattaya or I would be even heavier.

If you like Western Food Home cooked and you have never tried Rich Man Poor Man, give it a try!!!
thaiworthy

Re: Rich Man Poor Man

Post by thaiworthy »

All of the food at Rich Man, Poor Man is very good. I found it by accident because I just happened to be staying at a condo up the road last year. You can't go wrong here. They have daily specials and their menu is extensive. Prices are very reasonable. Also have some Thai food. Highly recommended.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Have they stopped allowing smoking inside?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Have they stopped allowing smoking inside?
Sorry, but smoking is still allowed inside. I think it's because the owner smokes.

By the way, Rich Man-Poor Man also has excellent breakfasts.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

As long as they allow smoking inside I won't be going there.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:As long as they allow smoking inside I won't be going there.
I'm sure it puts off a lot of people, but he allows it anyway. He has no outside seating, so those of you who can't put up with smokers, unfortunately Rich Man-Poor Man is the wrong restaurant for you.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote: He has no outside seating, so those of you who can't put up with smokers, unfortunately Rich Man-Poor Man is the wrong restaurant for you.
Have things changed in past two years? I ate there about two years ago and did eat outside as I recall.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:Have things changed in past two years? I ate there about two years ago and did eat outside as I recall.
Yes. He used to have an outdoor seating area, but that property was bought and now it's part of a condo that was built next door to the restaurant. So, he lost his outdoor seating area and now there is no place for him to put any outdoor seating.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

So he is allowed to break the law. He must be paying the right people.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Well owner was there and was not smoking nor were any of the customers but I suspect this is the luck of the draw. I have been there when there was smoking.

The place is well air conditioned and big enough to find a table where smoke is not a problem unless you happen to be there at a busy time.

Anyways I can understand the aversion to smoke but if you can be there when smoke is not a problem then the food is soooo worth it!!!