Pumpkin

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
lvdkeyes

Pumpkin

Post by lvdkeyes »

If you are looking for canned pumpkin in Pattaya, Good Luck. I tried Makro, Foodland, Villa, Foodmart & Friendship. None have it. I ended up buying fresh pumpkin to make my own pumpkin puree. :x
Gaybutton

Re: Pumpkin

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I ended up buying fresh pumpkin to make my own pumpkin puree.
Just to show my ignorance, that's what I would have thought is the best way to do it. Why is canned preferable to fresh?

Then again, I remember a scene from All in the Family in which Gloria makes a Thanksgiving dinner. When she serves the cranberry sauce, Archie says he doesn't like it. Gloria says she worked hard and made it herself, with fresh cranberries.
Archie's response: "Don't you have the real kind . . . . that comes in a can?"
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Canned pumpkin is preferable when you have a lot of dishes to prepare for a lot of people. It saves time and still produces a good product.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Canned pumpkin is preferable when you have a lot of dishes to prepare for a lot of people. It saves time and still produces a good product.
I see. Ok, then I'd like to know how to best make a puree from fresh pumpkins and, of course, your recipe for pumpkin pie.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

First off to make the pumpkin puree you steam the cut up and seeded pumpkin, with all the stringy bits removed, until it is fork tender. Remove the skin, chunk the pumpkin and using either a stick blender or food processor puree it until smooth. If you want to go through that ask again for the pie recipe.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:If you want to go through that ask again for the pie recipe.
That doesn't seem very difficult, so yes, if anyone has the best pumpkin pie recipe it would be you, so I would like to have it.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

OK Do you know how to make pie crust?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:OK Do you know how to make pie crust?
I'm always eager to learn. I've made pie crust before. Once in a blue moon mine comes out good. In other words, some tips about how to make a good pie crust would be most welcome.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote: That doesn't seem very difficult, so yes, if anyone has the best pumpkin pie recipe it would be you, so I would like to have it.
Not all pumpkins are created equal. The traditional pumpkin seen at Halloween makes a terrible pie. Not worth all the effort.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Windwalker, you are absolutely right about jack o lantern pumpkins. This will be my first attempt using Thai pumpkin. I have made the puree and it tastes good, so I think the pie will turn out good. Fingers crossed.

Making pie crust in Thailand is a bit tricky because of the heat, but with a one crust pie like pumpkin pie it is not such a problem. Here is what I do:

For a 9-inch pie
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cups shortening (I use Best Foods margarine that comes in a tub)
4 tbsp ice water or very cold milk

Mix together the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two table knives until it is the size of small peas. Sprinkle the water or milk over the mixture and work it together until it forms a ball. Don't over-work the dough. Flatten to a disc. Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes. Spread a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment on the counter top, place the dough disc in the center and cover with another sheet of plastic or parchment. Roll out the dough to fit your pan, allowing enough dough to come up the sides and have some for forming a crust. If your dough it too stiff, whack it with a rolling pin to make it more pliable. When it is the size you want remove the top plastic or parchment and lift the dough using the bottom sheet and place it in your pan. Gently ease it to fit the pan. For your crust by cutting off any excess dough and fold the dough under all around. There are numerous way to do the crust. I like to use my index finger and thumb of my right hand and place it on the rim of the dough and with my index finger of my left hand push between the fingers of the other hand to form a sort of "U" shape. Continue all around the pie. I simpler, but less attractive, way is just to use the tines of a fork to crimp all around the rim. Put the pie shell in the freezer for 1 hour.

Preheat your oven to 350 F.
After the pie is chilled, put a piece of parchment in the pie shell, pour in 2 pounds of dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the parchment and beans and bake another 10 minutes until the crust had dried out and begins to color.

For the filling:
8 ounces cream cheese
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt, and beat until combined. Add the sugar, eggs, 1/2 and 1/2 and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon and ginger and beat until incorporated.

Pour the filling into the warm prepared pie crust and bake for 50 minutes or until the center is set. Cool on a rack to room temperature. Server with a generous amount of sweetened whipped cream.