Pumpkin

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
windwalker

Re: Pumpkin

Post by windwalker »

Now here is a real easy and good pie crust which I have used.

EASY WESSON OIL PIE CRUST
2 c. sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. Wesson oil
1/4 c. cold whole milk
Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Pour oil and milk into one measuring cup, but do not stir. Dump into flour mixture; mix with fork until cleans side of bowl. Form into ball; divide and roll between two pieces of wax paper.

Not sure just which Wesson Oil you use. Probably any vegetable oil would work.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

My pumpkin pie is just out of the oven and it looks picture perfect. I tasted the filling before I baked it and I am pleased with it. We will see how my guests like it Thursday.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I am not overly fond of pumpkin pie (everyone has their own tastes), but when I was living in US and preparing Thanksgiving Dinner, I made a sweet potato pie (just replace pumpkin with sweet potato) - when I visited family (another state) for Christmas, they always asked me to bring a sweet potato pie and my walnut banana pie (same recipe as used for pecan pie, but replace pecans with walnuts and layer banana on bottom of crust before pouring in the filling).

After moving here, I was going to make a sweet potato pie for a Christmas dinner, but discovered the Thai sweet potato is totally unsuited - always came out mostly dry and crumbly - this was before Villa Market opened. I did note later that Villa had imported sweet potatoes as well as canned - but I haven't had another reason to make a sweet potato pie - Richard Burk at Amor used the Thai sweet potato when he did his holiday dinners, I didn't find them very appetizing (my only complaint as I otherwise thoroughly enjoyed his holiday dinners).
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I saw the US imported sweet potatoes at Villa, but opted for canned for my nut and brown sugar topped sweet potatoes when I saw that the imports were 224 baht/kg.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

How much for the canned?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was 130THB.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Gaybutton wrote:
windwalker wrote:The traditional pumpkin seen at Halloween makes a terrible pie. Not worth all the effort.
I didn't know that. I always thought that's the kind of pumpkins they use for pumpkin pie. I'm more ignorant than I thought. What kind of pumpkins do they use?
Here in the US the variety often used for pies are called sugar pumpkins. They're smaller by half than a jack-o-lantern pumpkin, and the flesh isn't as thick. Jack-o-lantern pumpkins tend to be much tougher and less flavorful. I baked two pies this year, substituting my own sugar pumpkin puree instead of the canned product, using the old "Libbys" canned pumpkin label recipie.

I hope everyone over there had a great Thanksgiving. My day here is just getting going.