Television Addicts

RichLB

Television Addicts

Post by RichLB »

Ok, I admit it - I like television. I'm curious for you downloaders out there (or folks who live where the shows are aired) which shows you like. Here's my list and I hope those of you who have discovered other good offerings present your favorites.

REALITY SHOWS
Survivor
The Amazing Race
American Idol (returns 1/21/2012)
The X Factor (US)
The Apprentice (Not airing yet)
So You Think You Can Dance (not airing yet)

COP/CRIME SHOWS
Against the Wall - A daughter in a police family joins Internal Affairs
Blue Bloods - A family of police interact and solve crimes
Harry's Law - Kathy Bates plays a ghetto store front lawyer
Leverage - A great revenge show (returns (11/26/2011)
Person of Interest - A machine identifies crime perps. or victims

COMEDY/NEWS SHOWS
The Daily Show
Real Time with Bill Maher

OTHER SHOWS
Glee - If you don't know what this show is about, you hate TV
Haven - A city where weird phenomena occur
Merlin - Merlin is an early twenties/teenager and helps young Arthur
Torchwood - Beats me how to describe this show
Fringe - A great series, but watch from the beginning to
know what's going on.

Well, that's my list. Does anyone have any favorites of their own?
painai2

Re: Television Addicts

Post by painai2 »

I must be a TV hater, because I don't like Glee nor American Idol. Actually, I watch Thai TV Channel 5 everyday until noon. It has a good variety of news, entertainment, talk, latest trends, cooking, everything. Plus, watching Thai TV helps your knowledge of the Thai language. I look at watching English language programs as an escape, I try to limit how much I watch TV in English.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

One funny show is Tosh.com on Comedy Channel if you can get it. Tosh is a stand up comedian who has a lot of gay remarks and outrageous almost all the time.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I have heard of some of those programs but most I don't have a clue what they are and not sure I want to know. I do like many of the series on the History Channel, Discovery and Explorer. The Kennedy's docudrama series was excellent. On the 18th this month they are going to run all 8 chapters. If you don't have UBC and the History Channel, I've seen them out in DVD's.

The HBO (?) series Boardwalk Empire is good. I don't think it's been on UBC yet, but season one is out in DVD.

Thai TV is good for understanding Thai but I can't take too much. The soaps are beyond stupid, melodramatic and the acting stinks. The talent shows are painful for me to watch and the comments just stupid fill. I don't like their western counterparts either. The news is OK but some of the on-the-scene reports are as dumb as what the West feeds to the masses.

Thai TV and movie stars (actors) don’t live like anything like the life's of their Western counterparts. You see them in the BTS, in local gyms and in modest restaurants. They don’t go around town in limos and don’t have entourages. They don’t live in Beverly Hills style mansions. They are employees of the various production companies and have never taken the route American actors did starting in the 20’s with Chaplin, Pickford and other’s to get control of their product. Louis B. Mayer would fit in quite well.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I agree with Trongpai. I don't watch television anymore. Occasionally, I buy or rent a movie from iTunes, or I watch a blu-ray from Netflix. TV journalism stinks in any country. Having worked with talent all my life, watching a talking head just makes my stomach turn. They can't talk and move a teleprompter knob at the same time. They have to have someone do it for them. I get my news from other various sources, but never the idiot box.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I watch from time to time, but not many shows will have me set aside time specifically to watch them. My list is therefore pretty barren -

REALITY SHOWS (rarely watch most of them, other than)
So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 was great with some amazing choreography and dancing

COP/CRIME SHOWS
Blue Bloods
Damages - I found its constant flipping back and forth confusing at first, but then became hooked. Hope we will see more than the 2 series that have been aired here so far.

COMEDY/NEWS SHOWS
The Daily Show

OTHER SHOWS
Have seen none from RichLB's list! But I think there should also be Drama and Historical/Factual sections. If so, my recent ones would be -

DRAMA
Downton Abbey (Maggie Smith - exquisite!)
Boardwalk Empire (season 1 was aired here on HBO - the first few episodes of season 2 are also out on DVDs available on Silom)
Mildred Pierce

HISTORY/FACT
Asia's Monarchies
AIr Crash Investigation
History of Christianity (Channel 16 in BKK) - boring presentation but some fascinating facts and visuals
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Were it not for the sport channels I'd never have parted with any money for UBC and on the sport subject I find it curious that they don't show the Thai National team in the likes of football when they are on. Plenty of Euro and World Cup qualifiers on the past week but not the Thai matches. Same when they had their big tennis tourney in Bangkok last month, again no coverage yet plenty of coverage of most other tennis events.

Anyway, as for the rest of it, even if I could speak Thai I doubt I'd flick on a channel with any of their progs on it. Looks dreadful to me.
If I'm having a "nothin' else to do" moment I'll watch the rehashed Criminal Minds, Law and Order type stuff but there's currently only two I try to definitely catch.
Walking Dead is one though so far Season Two has slowed to a crawl.
Terra Nova the new "big thing" is the other. Hoped this would be decent but so far I'm not really convinced. It's got to pick up or it'll be lucky to get any more than two seasons, regardless of how much they've spent making it.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I agree about Sports - I do watch soccer, tennis and golf quite a lot.

One point re the History/Fact programmes. I find some of the pronunciation of English by supposedly native English speakers appalling. There is a series that seems to be continually rerun called "The Finest Hours of the 2nd World War". It's a Spanish production, but there is an American narrator who constantly mangles the English language. In the most recent episode, just a few of the mistakes were - e.g.
Ceylon pronounced Say-lon
New Caledonia – New Cal-sed-on-ia!
Malayan – Ma-lie-an!
Yamashita – Ya-ma-shee-ta – instead of Ya-ma-shta
Archipelago – Arch – instead of Ark

How do these people actually get any work?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Among other channels I watch TLC a lot. I do have to agree with Fountainhall about pronunciation:

Janet Tsieh pronounces her name as Shay not Te see ah as the announcer says.
Guad Venegas should be Gwad Ve NA gahs not God VEN e gahs

There are a few more that I can't recall at the moment.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I, too, am a sports nut. Until it was blocked in Thailand, p2p4u.net carried about every event (college, pro, and off the wall sports, too). You can most probably still get it in other countries (Thailand's objection was that too many people were gambling on the events). To feed my addiction, I actually bit the bullet and purchased a program called Satellite Direct for $50 over the internet. It works pretty good, but I'm still fiddling with it to figure out how to make some of the channels (there are over 2000 of them) expand to full screen. You might want to check it out.