Mexican food "Mikes"

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
DeE

Mexican food "Mikes"

Post by DeE »

I sometimes hesitate to plug places, but if you are like me and sometimes like to indulge with Mexican food, Mikes Mexican gets the job done.

http://www.mikespattaya.com/

I have been to most of the Mexican places (Red Palm / T.Reefs / Blue Parrot) but I tend to eat more often at Mikes.

Maybe because there is never a parking hassle and the food is consistent----you either like it or you don't.

Staff is prompt and friendly. The owner has never come over to our table and introduced himself (seems a bit lost in his beer or computer) but that isn't a problem because I am not there for conversation with the owner---I am there for the food and environment.

I also like the fact there is a comment form on every table with a pen or pencil that works.

Not cheap prices---but about the same to the other places listed above.

If you have never been or if it has been a while, I'd recommend it if you have a Mexican craving while in Pattaya/Jomtiem.

Cheers,

DeE
Gaybutton

Re: Mexican food "Mikes"

Post by Gaybutton »

Several of my friends and I also regularly enjoy Mike's. And before the posts and PMs start coming in to tell us it isn't authentic Mexican food, we're well aware of that, but we enjoy the restaurant anyhow.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I, too, have eaten at Mike's several times and really like it. When people criticize the dishes as not being authentic Mexican food I always wonder what they're talking about. I've discovered that "Mexican food" as we Americans define it is actually regional to what part of the states you are in. Tex Mex is slightly different from Cal Mex and neither can be found in Mexico itself. So, Mike's is as authentic as any other place in town. My only complaint with Mikes is their sauce. It's very tasty, but they use the same sauce on everything and it makes it tough to differentiate between an enchilada, chile relleno, chimichanga, etc, somtimes.

By the way, the OP left out a couple other places in town with decent Mexican food. Check out Sam's Mexican and American Grill in Jomtien and Purple Space Monkey on soi Chaiyaprok.
DeE

Post by DeE »

RichLB,

You are so right---Sam's and Space Monkey are also decent places that will provide that "Mexican Fix" when necessary.

Off topic: Not sure how many of you travel up-country, but I live in Udon Thani. If you find yourself in the Udon Thani area there is a place called "The Book House" http://www.thebookhouseandcoffeeshop.com/ across from Nong Sim lake that has an assortment of really good Mexican foods available only on Wednesdays.

No matter what Mexican item you order, they provide bowls of sour cream/salsa and guacamole (more than I have be able to finish). All the food here is good from breakfast to dinners.

Not a gay establishment but gay friendly for sure and the owner is very pleasant. He just moved into the new location about a week or so ago so the website isn't up to date with the location nor does the site talk about the Mexican Wednesdays....I believe it is a work in progress.

Back on topic: Bangkok has Mexican food available and one place I have heard good things about is a place called Sunrise tacos. Anyone eaten there? Good/bad?

Disclamer: Don't look at Sunrise Taco website if you're hungry for Mexican food...Could be dangerous ;)

http://www.sunrisetacos.com/
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

When I am in Bangkok, I often eat lunch at Sunrise Taco in Siam Paragon. You can build your own taco or burrito. However, I usually go for their Caldo De Res (Mexican Beef Soup) - it is a clear broth with veggies and usually a chunk or two of meat (like pot roast type). I was introduced to it by a Mexican co-worker when I lived in San Antonio, Texas. Their guacamole is good and served with plenty of tortilla chips. Some friends have told me they have seen a sign just across the road from Mignon's in Jomtien Complex that says a Sunrise Tacos will be opening there soon.

I also like Mikes - but instead of the usual Mexican stuff, I like a pork dish he serves. It is served on a circular type tray dish with the pork (tender chunks in a gravy sauce) in the center and the dishes surrounding it has the rice, beans, etc., etc. -- pork is very tender. It is very good, his mneu shows:
"Carnitas" 290 Baht
Slow cooked, then roasted and shredded pork shoulder, served with 2 six inch flour tortillas, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, a small salad, rice and beans.
DeE

Post by DeE »

Just saw this on the TV site----decided to post it for you all---personally I can't wait to try it. I'm sure the food quality will be as good or better than our other choices here in Pattaya.

From another site and posted here:

Gil here, owner of Sunrise Tacos Pattaya. Please permit me to weigh in, introduce ourselves, and let you all know what's up.

No other food to my mind invokes the same emotional discussions regarding what is, and what is not "authentic." I cannot answer this. I can say though, that we import our own 100% organic white, yellow and blue corn in kernel form from the U.S.A. We then grind it, add water and salt, and hand work it. Each tortilla is then HAND pressed and turned into one of the most tastiest corn tortillas I have ever had. We import all avocados fresh, we make all our own salsas each morning, our margaritas are made daily from real fruit, etc., I am hoping that these efforts help us to develop a loyal expat crowd, just like our loyal crowd in BKK. From our recent experience opening at Terminal 21 (we are packed daily), we also appeal to the young and hip Thai crowd, who hanker for delicious, fresh and unique tastes at very competitive prices. We hope to capture a portion of this crowd also in Pattaya, as there are not a lot of places for the mainstream Thai crowd to experience a modern and fresh concept restaurant. Being on the main road also, we hope to get our share of tourists when they visit the beaches of Jomtien.

We chose Jomtien for several reasons - easy parking, and easy access for the resident expats or full time Pattaya residents. Although we looked at over 60 locations on Beach road, parking and access is troublesome, even more so during events (e.g., music festivals). Rents there are sky high also, with tea money the norm.

The Jomtien area also has one of the highest concentrations of condominiums in a small area, making home delivery a viable supporting revenue opportunity. We are located directly at the entrance to Jomtien Complex, just before reaching Shenanigan's on the right. A large corner unit. The surrounding road construction is mostly complete, adding appeal to this area which we are hoping will begin to take on a popularity of its own as Pattaya proper gets more and more crowded. Many long-term expats that I know dread the idea of trying to "dine out" anywhere near Walking St or Beach Rd, or even 2nd road. Next year, we will open in North Pattaya also.

Regarding the restaurant itself, we have 2 full time kitchens on site, with a unique margarita bar off to the side of the main dining room. The build out is looking fantastic, with an unusual split level hung ceiling in modern colors. The restaurant is 75% glass enclosed, and will incorporate the latest in back-projection technology of printed photos of our food. Booths are over-sized of course. We have approximately 75 seats, and booths and tables that can sit full families. The bar will serve a full a full drink menu, including hand-blended and machine blended margaritas. Of course, we are continuing our trademark free salsa bar (9 different types, made daily).

Our opening date is approximately Nov 20th, 2011. A lot depends upon the completion of the build out. All of our staff is now training full time at multiple Sunrise Tacos locations in BKK, and we will follow the recipes originally created by our 2 native Mexican head chefs. Recently, we also consulted a Mexican head chef residing in China, who flew into Thailand to meet us and consulted on our food. He did not make one change recommendation, which we took to mean that we are on the right track.

Final note - we are 90% thru completion of a mobile Mexican food truck also. It is a full sized long bed Toyota with a camper house on top. It will travel all over Pattaya and East Pattaya serving nachos, supreme nachos, quessadillas, burritos, tacos, and of course, margaritas. The mobile unit has hot and cold running water, full cooking capability, fridges, etc., so please keep an eye out for our mobile Sunrise Tacos unit coming near you! You can PM me here of course for any further information. It will be available for catering, birthdays, wedding events, home parties, etc. of course. We also have a full catering service for the extended menu.

Thank you everyone,

Kind regards,

Gil
Owner - Sunrise Tacos Pattaya
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

This sounds extremely promising.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I tried Mikes in Pattaya once and found it so-so. It might just come down to my personal tastes but I like Tacos Sunrise more than any other Mexican restaurants that I have tried in Thailand.

I noticed the Terminal 21 staff had Taco Sunrise Pattaya t- shirts, the above post now explains that. The staff and I guess it was the owner, a big farang, was very nice and service was impeccable.