Bread Machine Recipes

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Bread Machine Recipes

Post by Gaybutton »

In the "Where To Buy A Bread Maker" thread ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3533 ) I posted the following two bread machine recipes that are my two favorites. Maybe I'm not the only one around here who uses a bread machine. If you have favorite bread machine recipes, please post them:

Rye Bread
Ingredients:

1 cup water
½ cup milk or buttermilk
2¾ cups bread flour
1 cup Rye flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons Caraway seed
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ teaspoons yeast
1½ cups chopped onion

Select BASIC setting and LIGHT CRUST

Apple Blue Cheese Bread
Ingredients:

¾ cup apple juice
½ cup crumbled blue cheese
1 2/3 cup bread flour
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast

Add the apple juice and cheese together.

Use Whole Wheat setting and LIGHT CRUST

For both recipes, add the ingredients in the order listed.
lvdkeyes

Re: Bread Machine Recipes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Here is one that you mix in the bread machine and then bake in regular oven.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread
1-1/2 lb loaf

¾ cup milk
1 egg
3 tbsp. butter, cut up
3 cups bread flour
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
¾ tsp salt
1-1/4 tsp yeast
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. butter, softened
Sifted powdered sugar

1. Add the first 7 ingredients to the machine according to the manufacturer’s directions. Select the dough cycle. When the cycle is complete, remove dough. Punch down. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a small bowl stir together the walnuts (pecans), brown sugar, and cinnamon; set aside.
3. Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into 14x9 inch rectangle. Spread with the softened butter and sprinkle with filling. Starting from both short sides, roll up each side into a spiral toward the center. Place, rolled side up, in the prepared loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 30 minutes or until nearly doubled.
4. Bake in a 350 º oven for about 30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I forgot to mention one other aspect of bread machines I like. They have timers. That means you can put in the ingredients and set the timer to have the bread ready whatever time you want it to be ready. Quite often I'll put in the ingredients and set the timer to have the bread ready about the time I wake up in the morning. There's nothing like waking up to the aroma of bread baking and having a freshly baked loaf, still hot, waiting for you just in time for breakfast. On my machine you can set the timer up to 12 hours before you want the bread to be ready.

I tried the Cinnamon Swirl recipe that lvdkeyes posted above. I didn't have any walnuts or pecans, but I did have almond slices. I toasted those and added about a half cup of raisins to the filling as well. It came out perfectly and it was was fabulous accompanied by a cup of freshly brewed coffee.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Here is another one for you to try:

Bread Machine Pannetone -Italian Christmas Bread

1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup rum
3 teaspoons yeast
3 cups bread flour
5 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup lukewarm water
1 stick ( 1/2 cup) butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon or orange zest
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
3 tablespoons candied fruit cake mix

Place the raisins in a small saucepan with the rum and heat gently. Remove from heat and let soak at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days. Drain raisins well. (Save the now-flavored rum for other recipes, or discard).

Add ingredients in the order specified in your machine's sweet-bread instructions. For example, in my machine you would put the yeast in first, followed by the flour, sugar and salt, then add the wet ingredients -- water, margarine, egg, vanilla and almond extracts and lemon or orange zest.

Spray inside top of the bread machine globe with cooking spray in case bread rises to the very top -- this will keep it from sticking. Start machine. At the beep that indicates the time for adding stir-in ingredients, add the raisins, nuts and candied fruit. Set for the cycle given for sweet dough. Allow bread to cool completely before slicing. Makes about 18 servings.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Here is another one for you to try
It looks great, and I ain't gonna wait for Christmas to give it a try. What is candied fruit cake mix and where is it sold? I might substitute something else for that if I can't find it. Also, most of these bread recipes that call for raisins never have enough raisins for me. But this one looks like it has plenty.

One thing I don't understand about bread machines: They all seem to want the ingredients added in a specific order. I always follow those instructions, but do you know why ingredients have to be added in order? I can understand why the liquid goes first, followed by the flour, but since it's all going to be mixed and kneaded anyway, what difference does the rest of it make?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Candied fruit mix is any mix of candied fruit like you find in fruit cake. They have it at the Flour and Butter shop on Sukhumvit.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bread Machine Oatmeal Bread

1¼ cup room temperature water
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup oatmeal
2 cups flour (either all white, 1/2 white 1/2 wheat, or other combo)
2 teaspoons yeast

I tried this recipe for the first time today and it came out really good. It's now on my "A-List" of bread machine recipes.

Most of the oatmeal bread recipes I found were for sweetened breads, using honey or molasses, but I was not looking for a sweet recipe.

I used the Hahne brand small-leaf oatmeal, which is readily available in grocery stores. I usually buy mine at Makro.

I don't think it has to be canola oil. I didn't have any, so I used soybean oil instead and the bread came out just fine.

I made mine with the regular bread flour to see how it was going to come out. I might try some flour variations later on, but I'm quite satisfied with it the way it came out with bread flour alone.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I got into an experimental mood and decided to see if I could come up with something that could be made in a bread machine and would be similar to cornbread. I managed to come up with two recipes that both worked. I liked the way they came out. I used the basic idea of my rye bread recipe from the post above. If you'd like to give them a try, here they are:
________

For both of these, make sure you're using corn meal, not corn flour. The only place I've found corn meal in Pattaya is at Villa Market.

GB's Bread Machine Cornbread

Ingredients:

1 cup water
½ cup milk or buttermilk
2¾ cups bread flour
1 cup corn meal
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ teaspoons yeast

GB's Bread Machine Corn-raisin bread

I gave this a try and it worked. I used a full cup of raisins. Raisin bread never has enough raisins to satisfy me, but this came out just fine with a full cup. Next time I might try it with even more . . .

1 cup water
½ cup milk or buttermilk
2¾ cups bread flour
1 cup corn meal
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ teaspoons yeast

1 cup raisins - to be added when the bread machine reaches the cycle for adding additional items. If you don't wait for the proper time to add the raisins, they'll be torn to shreds and you won't get whole raisins in the bread.