Best Breakfasts

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

Best Breakfasts

Post by Gaybutton »

On the "Poisidon Buffet Breakfast" thread, some are saying the quality of the breakfast at Poseidon, in Jomtien Complex, has gone downhill. Years ago, I greatly enjoyed the breakfast at the Lek Hotel in Pattaya, but in my opinion it went downhill a long time ago and stayed that way.

We've had "best breakfast" topics before, but I think it's time for a new one. Where are the best breakfasts? And let's not limit it to Pattaya. I hope those of you familiar with other cities in Thailand will also tell us about good places to go for breakfast.

For example, in Chiang Mai, my favorite breakfast is at the Art Café. I've always greatly enjoyed it, but I'm not familiar enough with Chiang Mai to be able to recommend other places. In Bangkok, I used to enjoy the breakfast at O Ho, mainly because it was pretty good and right across the street from the Malaysia Hotel, which is where I like to stay. But now O Ho no longer exists and I think the breakfast at the Malaysia is lousy, and I don't know other places to go for breakfast in Bangkok. In other popular areas such as Phuket, Ko Samui, Ubon Ratchathani, Khorat, and Hua Hin, I don't know where to go at all. And those of you familiar with other areas along "roads less traveled by" might know of good places. I hope those of you who can make recommendations for restaurants in those areas (and it doesn't have to be just breakfast) will participate on this thread.

In Pattaya, all three Continental Bakery restaurant locations have always been very good. Several friends have tried the breakfast at Rich Man-Poor Man and gave it a thumbs-up. I've always liked the Eggs Benedict at Le Café Royale in Boyztown. If you have the money to spend 800 baht plus on breakfast, the Marriott is excellent. The Sunday brunch at Casa Pascal is incredibly good. I've always enjoyed Papa David's in Jomtien and now there is a second branch of Papa David's on Soi Khaotolo out here on "The Dark Side." Greg's Kitchen on Second Road at Soi 4 in North Pattaya serves a good breakfast. At Dongtan Beach, the Bondi and The Sea Falcon are very good.

What are your favorites?
lvdkeyes

Re: Best Breakfasts

Post by lvdkeyes »

I have to disagree about Continental. At one time they had a very good breakfast. The last two times I ate there it was not good at all. The French toast was abysmal and French toast is not a hard dish to prepare. I have stopped going there. Purple Space Monkey is good, also Linda's in Jomtien on Thrappaya Rd.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:Linda's in Jomtien on Thrappaya Rd.
I yield to your opinion about Continental. It's been several months since the last time I ate there. Actually, since I started using your American Sausage recipe, I rarely go out for breakfast anymore. I'd rather eat at home, although for me, breakfast is usually a cup of coffee.

I stopped going to Linda's. As far as I'm concerned, Linda's has priced itself out of the market. If I'm in that area when I want breakfast, I'd rather go to Poseidon. Despite the fact that some are saying it's not as good as it used to be, it's still better than most places, in my opinion. But I haven't tried the breakfast at Rich Man-Poor Man yet. That's next on my list for places I have yet to try.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I agree that Linda's is overpriced, but the quality is good.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

TOQ, on the Poseidon thread, mentioned breakfast tacos at Purple Space Monkey. I didn't notice breakfast tacos on their breakfast menu, but could have easily missed it. He does have Huevos Ranchero on the breakfast menu along with chicken fried steak and eggs. So far, I've had the biscuits and gravy (twice) and the pancakes (once). The bf has had the American breakfast each time. No disappointments with breakfasts.

My next trip for breakfast, I may decide on the the western type omelet, then again there is the Huevos Ranchero, then again there is the . . ., and the . . .

I don't usually go out for breakfast, but when I do, it will most likely be at the PS Monkey (one thing I like, they open at 8am - owner says if you get there by 7:30am, they will at least get you started with coffee and take your order, which will be prepared once the kitchen is ready).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:they open at 8am - owner says if you get there by 7:30am, they will at least get you started with coffee and take your order, which will be prepared once the kitchen is ready.
One of the reasons it's rare for me to eat breakfast is I'm simply almost never hungry in the morning. But another reason is I enjoy eating with friends much more than I enjoy eating alone. For me, if it's 9:00am, it's already too late for breakfast. But tell that to my friends. They almost never want to hear about breakfast until at least 10:00, 11:00, or noon - or even later. That's far too late for me, so most of the time if I want breakfast, I eat at home.

Also, most of the restaurants I like for breakfast and are open at the hours I prefer are far from me. So just getting to them reminds me of the following:

let me tell u

Post by let me tell u »

There are only a few good real English breakfasts in Breakfast in Pattaya: Papa David’s Jomtien, then Yorkies North Jomtien Road, then Maggs, Threpasit Road. Dusit Thani Hotel North Pattaya, Cascade restaurant and then Shenanigans Jomtien breakfast and all day menu wonderful also take away with free delivery as well.

http://www.shenanigansthailand.com/PDF/TakeawayMenu.pdf
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

let me tell u wrote:Papa David’s Jomtien
As I said above, there is a second branch of Papa David's over here on "The Dark Side" on Soi Khaotolo. Same menu, same food, and I actually like it better than the Jomtien location. I think the Soi Khaotolo location has a much better cook.
let me tell u

Post by let me tell u »

Really how interesting, Id love to try it, now how do you get across the sukumvit most dangerous road in Thailand, Id love to live to eat it ;)
same same

Post by same same »

let me tell u wrote:Shenanigans Jomtien breakfast and all day menu wonderful also take away with free delivery as well.
Thanks for the link LMTU. I have only visited Shenanigans once, and on that occasion I just had a Guinness. Shenanigans is definitely on the list of places to eat on my next trip.

Cheers