Think my boyfriend took my passwords

Anything and everything about Thailand
bkkguy

Re: Think my boyfriend took my passwords

Post by bkkguy »

Jun wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:22 pm Writing your exact password down on a piece of paper is not best practice. Some kind of coded list makes more sense.
this is what password managers were invented for - they can generate a unique password for each site that is not easy to guess and does not need to be easy to remember based on some system because the password manager handles all this at login to a site or app

of course you are creating a single point of failure for your password security so you need to choose the software carefully and protect access to the password database by third parties like visiting bar boys, but the good ones are well documented, easy to manage and work across multiple systems - windows, mac, android, iPhone/iPad, etc

fortunately many sites are moving away from insecure systems like passwords and two factor authentication so the problem may be on its way out
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:34 pm many sites are moving away from insecure systems like passwords and two factor authentication
What is replacing those?
Jun

Post by Jun »

bkkguy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:34 pm this is what password managers were invented for - they can generate a unique password for each site that is not easy to guess and does not need to be easy to remember based on some system because the password manager handles all this at login to a site or app

of course you are creating a single point of failure for your password security
The single point of failure is why I don't use password managers, at least for banking, other financials and my e-mails.

I do allow the browser to save passwords for less critical sites (such as this one) & don't apply the same password system as I do for the critical sites.

I'm interested to know if the boyfriend took the list, so look forward to hearing the conclusion.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:37 pm
bkkguy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:34 pm many sites are moving away from insecure systems like passwords and two factor authentication
What is replacing those?
It’s called a passkey. You just put in a PIN code from your device and the site you are trying to access has the matching info that only matches your device. I’m trying to create one now on a very sensitive financial site, but it failed. Probably because I have to turn on the passkey feature on my device.

It eliminates phishing scams and stolen passwords. However if you lose your device, to me your back to trying to prove you are who you say you are. It’s still new.

And thankyou, I hope I find the paper tomorrow. Today I looked through his stuff when he went for dinner but I couldn’t find it.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Jun wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:20 pm I'm interested to know if the boyfriend took the list, so look forward to hearing the conclusion.
Tomorrow I’ll probably know for sure. Then I will confront him in a way that will not humiliate him and hopefully he returns it. But frankly I think he will just deny taking it.

I’m thinking he took it but got scared I’d find it on him and he threw it out.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Rocket wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:15 am I’m thinking he took it but got scared I’d find it on him and he threw it out.
He would throw it out rather than just putting it back? Seeing your situation from the outside looking in, I just am not coming up with any reason why he would take it, especially if he knows you refer to it. I hope whatever takes place when you confront him won't end your relationship if it turns out he is innocent. Then again, the very fact that you suspect him tells me you don't really trust him in the first place. That, in itself, is a problem.

I hope it will be an "all's well that ends well" for you.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Experience shows when I lose something, it's never been taken by anyone else in the house.
It's always a case of me misfiling it or it falling down behind somewhere.
If it's important and a search doesn't find it, the next step is a major tidy up exercise.

Of course, some people might be damn sure they are more organised than me.
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Very true! I found car keys in the freezer once!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

KeithAmbrose wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:33 pm Very true! I found car keys in the freezer once!
Once I found mine in the trash bin outside. I'm lucky I thought to look there before the trash collectors emptied it and took it away. I've never figured out how the keys got there, but obviously I did it myself.

Just as bad, I searched my house from top to bottom for at least a half hour trying to find my reading glasses. You know where I finally found it? I was wearing it the whole time. What makes it even worse, that was not the only time it happened.

I don't worry about things like that too much because we all manage to do things like that every so often. Here's George Carlin pointing out a few more things we have in common:

So, don't be too surprised if you find that list and your boyfriend had nothing to do with it.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:35 am
Rocket wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:15 am I’m thinking he took it but got scared I’d find it on him and he threw it out.
He would throw it out rather than just putting it back? Seeing your situation from the outside looking in, I just am not coming up with any reason why he would take it, especially if he knows you refer to it. I hope whatever takes place when you confront him won't end your relationship if it turns out he is innocent. Then again, the very fact that you suspect him tells me you don't really trust him in the first place. That, in itself, is a problem.

I hope it will be an "all's well that ends well" for you.
The way the list was made was not very neat, So maybe he thought I just jotted down passwords on an envelope and I wouldn’t miss it. We’re always together so when I went swimming by myself is when it had to have happened. I’m almost always in the bedroom, he stays in the living room, so he wouldn’t have had a chance to put it back without me seeing him do it.

As far as trusting him, he bringing his uncle to meet me in the bar and approve of me gave me the sense he was a good person. His explanation for being hiv and hep c positive make me question his honesty.
I’m negative and told him I have to be careful and take certain measures. He gets very defensive. I asked him how he got hep c, as it’s difficult to obtain thru sex. He claims a dirty Covid vaccination needle gave it to him. I highly doubt it, more likely sharing a tooth brush or razor. But then again it happens. In Egypt many thousands got it from the health providers using the same needles over and over. He doesn’t appear as an intravenous drug user.