Life in Thailand - Test Results

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Life in Thailand - Test Results

Post by Dodger »

I started planning/preparing for retirement 5 years prior to that magic date to make sure I had all bases covered and now find myself extremely grateful that I dedicated the amount of time that I did. Working in my favor was the fact that I knew without question that Thailand was the place I wanted to retire and after spending nearly two decades of routine holidays in Thailand I had all the information I needed for retirement planning purposes.

Similar to what most people do - my planning included; long-term financial considerations, health & safety considerations, logistics (where to live based on the lifestyle I wanted for myself after retirement), transportation needs, bank account(s), health insurance, visa maintenance, living arrangements (buy versus rent), and of course risk management as it pertains to all of these things.

I spent 5 years planning, and have now completed 5 years of living here full-time which I’ll refer to as the “test phase”. Fortunately, due to a lot of planning and a good tail wind, I’m happy to say that overall things have worked out remarkably well with no regrets.

My love affair with Thailand spans a little over two decades now with no signs of slowing and I still, as I’ve been saying all these years, contend that there’s no better place on earth for a gay man to hang his hat than Thailand. The cost-of-living is one of the lowest in the modern world…good health care…lots of sun…lots of skin…lots of boys and boy bars…plenty of places to take exotic side-trips, and, most importantly, the opportunity for the like-minded to enjoy sexual relations and romance with guys, who, before experiencing Thailand, only existed in your dreams.

One thing I’ve learned is that there’s a significant difference between coming here as a routine sex tourist for holidays and living here full-time. This is something I considered during the planning phase once I determined the type of lifestyle I wanted after retirement. I wasn’t interested in “going native” and living out in some remote jungle village (been there–done that), nor did I want to remain a bar-runner/boy chaser bouncing around from one penis to the next any more (been there-done that too). The vision of how I saw myself living after retirement became crystal clear to me after a while.

I chose the “Little House on the Prairie” lifestyle to force myself to focus more on health than I did before…small town (Bang Saray) on the sea…sidewalks roll-up at 10:00 PM…clear skies (and water)…and nothing but the sounds of the oceans waves and birds chirping at night…but also close enough to the gay scene in Pattaya when so inclined, etc. The perfect choice for me. Admittedly, having a terrific partner like Jai makes this all work. He’s a dream (literally) and I’m so fortunate to have hooked up with him.

My visits to the bar scene are rare, and when I do visit it’s mainly to rub elbows with friends - pinch a few cute butts - and just enjoy the camaraderie. Other than that, the best of anything I can experience is waiting for me back at home. This is probably the most pronounced difference between “tourist” and “resident”. When you live here year-round “time” is not a concern…and I think a lot of expats realize this shortly after they retire. There’s no more counting down the days on the calendar for that dreaded departure date – when paradise comes to an end and reality takes its place.

It’s also common for expats to have their own cadre of regular boys they spend time with who they can just call on the phone when in the mood, and/or have live-in Thai boyfriends, versus having to rely on the bars or apps. The best example of this is when you go to gay scene like Jomtien Complex and see the majority of expats more interested in just socializing than they are boy-chasing. In short, boy-chasing is for the tourists. Expats don’t have to chase.

Pitfalls to Avoid:

- Don’t plan anything until you can actually visualize the lifestyle you want after retirement
- Never implement the plan until you’re sure you meet the financial income requirements.
- Don’t ignore the aging factor as your needs will inevitably change with time.
- Forget living in the boonies. You’re an old gay man from the West – not Tarzan.
- Obtain a good Thai health insurance policy before age 70 if possible.
- Don’t squander all of your hard-earned money on #14. Just tip for sex and be done with it.
- And, as my old friend Carolina Jim would say, “Never fall in love with a whore”.

Mai pen rai
Gaybutton

Re: Life in Thailand - Test Results

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you for such a totally excellent post. I agree with every word you wrote. The only thing I can think of to add would be one more line in your "Pitfalls to Avoid":

- Don't burn your bridges until you have lived in Thailand for at least 6 months to a year, preferably the year. That should be enough time to be certain living in Thailand is what you really want, but leaving yourself an escape route in case it doesn't work out.

One thing though, Dodger - stop pinching my butt . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thanks Dodger. An outstanding post.
Dodger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:10 pm It’s also common for expats to have their own cadre of regular boys they spend time with who they can just call on the phone when in the mood, and/or have live-in Thai boyfriends, versus having to rely on the bars or apps. The best example of this is when you go to gay scene like Jomtien Complex and see the majority of expats more interested in just socializing than they are boy-chasing. In short, boy-chasing is for the tourists. Expats don’t have to chase.
I guess even the expats need to slowly replenish their shortlist of boys due to turnover? I suspect most use the apps.

Even as a tourist, I had a shortlist of regulars.
If I look at the top 5, after a few years of seeing them, all has changed in the last 12 months:
Two have gained a BF, so are not available
One is in Myanmar (despite being from Cambodia)
One is back home in Laos
One is still here, but I'm not as keen

Fortunately, my list was longer than that and I've enjoyed adding some new names to it on this trip.

I suppose the expats still get to replenish their boy shortlist gradually, so less chasing.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:12 pm ........I suppose the expats still get to replenish their boy shortlist gradually, so less chasing.
I think you're right.

When I was here as a tourist I was like a kid at a carnival - running as fast as I could from one ride to the next in an effort to experience every ride in the park before it was time to go home. But once the park became home there was no need to run anymore.

This begs the question: For the retired gay man just how many different sex partners does he have to have to be fulfilled?

Each person has his own answer. We're as different as the leaves on a tree.
Jun

Post by Jun »

One perfect sex partner is probably enough. Or several very good ones.

How did you evaluate your choice of accommodation?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am How did you evaluate your choice of accommodation?
After deciding to purchase a condo versus rent I made a list of criteria, i.e., avg. annual maintenance cost per square meter (for the sub-district), distance to beach (in meters), distance to Pattaya, shopping, restaurants, health clinic, distance to closest hospital, temple for tamboon, ease of public transportation, etc.

I spent years looking at sub-districts and properties spanning from Siracha up north and as far south as Rayong. I wanted to stay close to the eastern seaboard and preferably south of Pattaya to be in the path of the EEC (eastern economic corridor) investment. Bang Saray met all these criteria.

I had a list of criteria for the condo itself with a preference for a tranquil area with a view of nature. We got extremely lucky. The view from our balconies is nothing but forest, mountains (Sattahip Highlands), and ocean.

Note that a lot of consideration was given to the EEC project. Since moving here neighboring Utapao Airport has expanded from domestic to international flights, the new 4 lane highway which spans from Pattaya to Rayong is nearly complete (it was like building the pyramids), construction of the new rail system linking Suvarnabhumi and DM Airports to the eastern seaboard is also planned for completion this year as part of the EEC development. The new railway will have 7 stations: Suvarnabhumi Airport - DM Airport - Siracha - Pattaya - Nong Nooch (Bang Saray) - Sattahip - and Rayong. When complete we'll be able to hop the train at Nong Nooch and be in Bangkok in less than an hour (so they say).

There was a lot to consider - but I had plenty of time on my hands during my long holidays - there was no rush - and I really enjoyed the research... exploring...and learning along the way.

Cheers
Jun

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:51 pm After deciding to purchase a condo versus rent I made a list of criteria, i.e., avg. annual maintenance cost per square meter (for the sub-district), distance to beach (in meters), distance to Pattaya, shopping, restaurants, health clinic, distance to closest hospital, temple for tamboon, ease of public transportation, etc.

I spent years looking at sub-districts and properties spanning from Siracha up north and as far south as Rayong.
You sound more thorough than me and I thought I was pretty careful with due diligence before any big commitment.
How does this annual maintenance cost work?

As for that railway, I've seen no sign of construction underway, despite visiting DMK, BKK, Pattaya station and every rail station to the south of Pattaya this year.
Elsewhere in the country, railway upgrades usually involve years constructing enormous elevated stations, typically in the wrong location.
After several years of watching these being built and finished elsewhere, I'm not aware of a single fast train service, never mind high speed.
For example, after massive expense on elevated tracks and stations, I gather the Bangkok to Hua Hin service is slightly faster and is now as fast as the bus.

So I suspect the EEC passenger railway upgrade is some time away and a fast train is even further away.

At the DMK end, I suppose they could use the red line. Except the station is so far from the international terminal, that it's quicker to go by bus.
Apparently they are even planning to advertise the red line, because it's not popular for going to DMK.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:36 pm ........How does this annual maintenance cost work?
Co-owners of condominiums in Thailand must pay their shares of the annual operating costs, e.g. staff salaries, utilities (for the building), trash removal, maintenance costs, etc.

The average annual fees vary a lot within each respective province, as well as between districts and sub-districts within a given province.

As an example; the average annual fees in Chonburi for instance range between 37 - 62 baht per Sm2. Typically the properties which are more upscale (especially in places like Pattaya), closer to the ocean, newer, with more amenities, etc. are at the higher end of the average.

Location is everything!

Hope this helps.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:29 am The average annual fees vary a lot within each respective province
And also vary with individual condos. If I were interested in buying rather than renting, I would talk to a few owners instead of the office. That way I think you would get a more accurate picture about how much owners are actually paying.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thank you.
Even 62 per square metre in annual maintenance costs doesn't seem too bad to me, although the larger your apartment, the worse value it seems.
What size apartment is typical for expats ?
What are typical total costs?

Is the rubbish removal paying for the handsome young men in the blue and white uniforms to come around in their truck and take it all away? The ones I see in Pattaya are quite attractive.