Moving to Pattaya, looking for translator

Anything and everything about Thailand
JD100

Moving to Pattaya, looking for translator

Post by JD100 »

Hello, I am (called JD), a U.S. citizen planning to retire in Thailand, but currently live in Argentina. However, all set up to move initially to Pattaya, arriving in mid-March 2024.
Outgoing and inquisitive type, energetic, regular user of gym, sauna, and I also practice Meditation and Yoga. Really enjoy Music, Theater, Hiking/Walking, Travel - maybe bowling and/or golf again.
Interested to meet men with some similar interests - for long-term friendships (no tourists or temporary residents please). Any race, nationality, age, etc., but English-fluent please.
Pattaya seems to be a beautiful place, and a ideal location for me to meet and develop contacts with fellow English speakers, both expats and Thai locals.

BTW - I am searching for a native English-fluent Translator, also very adept at technology. Of course I would pay a fair hourly rate for their assistance. Any information you could provide would be most appreciated!
Undaunted

Re: Moving to Pattaya, looking for translator

Post by Undaunted »

Why would you want to leave Argentina for Pattaya, is it because you hope to find more English speakers? Frankly, if not for the language barrier I would be happy to change places with you!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I agree with Undaunted to an extent. Thailand is not for everybody. Many have come to live in Thailand and later became disenchanted. Many are like me in that they love living in Thailand and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. But you won't know which applies to you until you have tried it - for at least 6 months. You'll know by then. In the meantime, make sure you leave yourself an escape route in case it does not work out for you. Don't be burning any bridges just yet.

I also notice you're looking for fluent English speakers. You're making a mistake if you limit yourself to that. Learning to speak at least basic Thai would be extremely helpful. Many Thais do speak English rather well, but finding Thais who are fluent - that's rare. My advice would be for you to enroll in a language school or hire a tutor and learn to speak as much Thai as you can. The more Thai you can speak, the easier things become. In all the years I've lived in Pattaya I think I speak Thai quite well, but certainly nowhere near fluent. It seems to me it is easier for oriental language speakers to learn English than the other way around. And very important, make an effort to learn the tones. The Thai language is much more than just the words. Without the correct tones, many won't be able to understand what you are trying to say.

There are also some very good, sophisticated translation apps for smartphones. Give some of those a try.

Good luck. Keep in mind many farang already living here will be willing to help you.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Any new member should at least be aware that some individuals have been critical of Pattaya for years.
Whilst continuing to live there.
If someone who is not tied to a job continues to live in Pattaya, they must like it better than anywhere else?

For an English speaker, I would have thought Spanish would be a hell of a lot easier to learn than Thai.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

JD100 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:25 pm Pattaya seems to be a beautiful place, and a ideal location for me to meet and develop contacts with fellow English speakers, both expats and Thai locals.

BTW - I am searching for a native English-fluent Translator, also very adept at technology. Of course I would pay a fair hourly rate for their assistance. Any information you could provide would be most appreciated!
John - you won't have to speak any Thai at all to get along just fine...as most expats, even those who have lived in Pattaya for many years, don't speak more than five words of Thai - and can't even pronounce them right.

I'm not sure how much experience you have here in Thailand but most of the working boys (if that's your thing) speak enough broken English to make things work and are almost all adept at technology related to computer applications, smartphones, etc., and live in the universe of social media similar to young people in the West. So finding a translator who can assist you in this area will be easy...plus you have the added benefit of enjoying his other unique qualities for a modest tip (1,500 baht is still the going rate in Pattaya for sex. Translation services are tossed in for free).

I'm also from the U.S. and have been retired here for almost 6 years...best decision I ever made...and nowhere else on earth comes close to comparing to Thailand (especially Pattaya) for a gay man looking for the FREEDOM to be himself...lowest cost-of-living in the modern world...fun, vibrant, and healthy environment...and more available HOT BOYS than Carter has liver pills.

Good luck with your plans as they develop.

Cheers
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:41 am you won't have to speak any Thai at all to get along just fine...as most expats, even those who have lived in Pattaya for many years, don't speak more than five words of Thai - and can't even pronounce them right.
I agree. You don't have to speak a word of Thai in order to get started. Have you been to Pattaya before? If you have been here before I would have thought you already know that. You certainly won't need to hire anyone to be a translator.

From your post I am wondering if you have ever even been to Thailand, let alone Pattaya. Have you?
JD100

Post by JD100 »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:14 am Why would you want to leave Argentina for Pattaya, is it because you hope to find more English speakers? Frankly, if not for the language barrier I would be happy to change places with you!
Thank You Undaunted for your response. to be honest, I'm just starting to use social websites as I'm Not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to technology, or what to say or not to say!
However, to ask your questions briefly it's not a language issue, or even Argentina (wonderful people most welcoming) - but my desire to live in a totally different culture (I have been in Vietnam and Bangkok, but many years ago) than my traditional European heritage, and sense of challenge and adventure.

Anyway, I apologize for stating in my initial message about no tourists, etc. or English fluent only. I realize now had very 'narrow-minded' attitude that several responses helped me see myself, and I am so appreciative. JD
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

JD100 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:25 am to be honest, I'm just starting to use social websites
One mistake you're making is using your real name. NEVER use your real name of these message boards. That's why we all use screen names. Your JD screen name is fine, but it can be dangerous using your real name.

I took the liberty of removing your real name from your initial post.

Ok, then you have been to Thailand, but it has been many years. You will find that much has changed, and not all necessarily for the better. And living in Thailand is vastly different from taking a holiday here. That is why I'm urging you to plan for about 6 months at first, to make sure Thailand really is where you want to be. For many it just doesn't work out the way they hoped. You definitely should keep an escape route in case it turns out living here just isn't for you, but it will take those months to be sure. Don't burn any bridges until you are absolutely sure you want Thailand to be where you make your new life.

Again, the last thing you would need is someone to translate for you. Believe me, communication will be the least of your problems. Dodger is correct in that you can get by even if you never learn a single word of Thai, but I still urge you to start learning to speak Thai anyway. It is an enormous help. I believe those who have never tried simply don't understand how hugely helpful it is. I don't think you need to learn to read Thai, only speak Thai, although learning to read it certainly can't hurt anything. Learning to speak Thai is how I've done it and it makes quite a difference. I have never had a need or even a desire to try to learn to read it.

There are apps on which you can point your smartphone camera at written Thai words and they will be translated to English. Google Lens is very good at that. The only times I have ever needed to use it are once in a while in grocery stores reading labels.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I agree with GB that you need to stay awhile before you make a permanent move as he said not everything has changed for the better.

More shopping malls……relatively good private healthcare also not so inexpensive anymore, stricter visa requirements and talk of a tax on monies sent into the country, inflation but relatively small as compared to western countries, a completely changed gay scene from years ago and depending on your perspective it can be worse or ok, excellent choices for Thai and international cuisine, the quality of tourists has definitely declined, crime is still relatively low, the beaches in Pattaya are nothing to write home about.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:22 am a completely changed gay scene from years ago
Definitely. Totally changed. Years ago there was an almost exclusively gay part of Dongtan Beach, where there were boys galore, all hoping to hook up with a farang. Now, ever since hookup apps became popular, that part of the beach no longer resembles exclusively gay and it is rare to see any boys at the beach at all unless they are there because a farang they hooked up with brought them there. The boys dislike getting dark skin from the sun.

Years ago you probably would need at least 3 or 4 nights just to visit all the gay go-go bars. Most have closed. Now you could visit the few that are left easily within a couple hours.

In short, if you are going to Thailand expecting to find things the way they were years ago, I'm afraid you'll be in for a bitter disappointment and you'll be wondering what the hell happened.