Real Exchange Rate Info

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Real Exchange Rate Info

Post by Jun »

My usual source of available exchange rates in Bangkok appears to be broken (link). The drop down menus don't work, at least on Android.

This used to be a good site for comparing banks and exchange rate companies. Does anyone know of an alternative?

https://daytodaydata.net/
Daleinpattaya

Re: Real Exchange Rate Info

Post by Daleinpattaya »

I can ASK SIRI on my iPad. Right now it is 35.88 Thai baht to US$1.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thank you. However, I'm actually asking about a source of AVAILABLE exchange rates from providers, rather than a theoretical mid-market rate that we usually cannot get from money makers.

It is, of course, easy to find mid-market rates via XE.

The link in the opening post used to be a reasonable source for offered exchange rates. Until it broke.
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

It's a pity that it has become so hard for farang to open a Thai bank account. A few years ago, Kasikorn told me that they require at least a one year stamp in your passport. Prior to 1 January, when things got even tighter, I was given 'third degree' by Kasikorn when I sought to open another account to move money from an internet facing account. I've been a customer for more than 20 years, have two accounts and, in addition, a credit card (not a basic one either!) They kept demanding more and more documents and in the end, rather than give up after three hours, I caused a scene by insisting. You seem to spend a good deal of time and money in Thailand and it's a shame that they make it harder and harder to open an account. 23 years ago, I got my first account with a 30-day exempt and a hotel address.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I opened my Kasikorn bank account about 15 years ago, also with a hotel address. All of my Thai baht goes through that via Wise.

However, in this case I was looking to buy some USD notes in Bangkok.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

billyhouston wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:19 pm It's a pity that it has become so hard for farang to open a Thai bank account.
I agree. It was the same for me many years ago when all that was required to open a Thai bank account was showing your passport, the 30-day exempt, and a hotel address. No questions asked.

The past few years the least difficult bank to try opening an account with was Kasikorn Bank (K-Bank). From your post it is obvious that even K-Bank has made it very difficult, if not impossible. Meanwhile, to get the retirement visa you have to have a Thai bank account.

Isn't that nice? You can't get the retirement visa without a Thai bank account and you can't get a Thai bank account without the retirement visa.

Even so, most of us are well aware that whatever one bank branch tells you, another branch of the same bank often tells you something entirely different. I wouldn't give up on trying to open an account with K-Bank, or any other bank for that matter, unless at least 3 branches turn you down.

The main reason why the rules have become so tight is to prevent money laundering. Once again, I see it as punishing the vast majority of perfectly innocent people in their effort to stop the few criminals, if there even are any criminals trying to use Thailand to launder money. I certainly can understand trying to prevent criminal activity, but I think the banks have gone over the top with their rules. And I think many would agree that no matter what the laws and rules are, the criminals will find a way around them.

However, all is not lost - at least not yet. If you can't successfully open a Thai bank account on your own, the visa services can still do whatever they do and get Thai bank accounts for their clients. My advice is for anyone who goes frequently to Thailand or contemplating retiring to Thailand, get a Thai bank account while you still can. My guess is sooner or later the rules will get tighter still, to the point that even visa services won't be able to get a Thai bank account for their clients.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:27 amThe main reason why the rules have become so tight is to prevent money laundering.
Gaybutton wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:27 amIf you can't successfully open a Thai bank account on your own, the visa services can still do whatever they do and get Thai bank accounts for their clients.
The rules are to prevent money laundering, but going via an agency and making a payment to grease the wheels circumvents these rules. Therefore replacing money laundering with corruption. TIT.

One Khmer lad I know has managed to open a Thai bank account in the last couple of years.
I did start asking Lao and Cambodian boys if they had opened a bank account. I quickly learnt not to ask about this, as the answer always involved asking if I would like to send them money
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:51 am I quickly learnt not to ask about this, as the answer always involved asking if I would like to send them money
Whether they have a bank account or not, if they manage to get their hooks into a farang willing to send them money, they'll come up with ways to receive it.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:27 am
......Isn't that nice? You can't get the retirement visa without a Thai bank account and you can't get a Thai bank account without the retirement visa.
Funny how all roads lead to an $$Agent$$.
Lotusleaf

Post by Lotusleaf »

Jun wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:10 am My usual source of available exchange rates in Bangkok appears to be broken (link). The drop down menus don't work, at least on Android.

This used to be a good site for comparing banks and exchange rate companies. Does anyone know of an alternative?

https://daytodaydata.net/
I found this site which offers something a bit similar albeit not as simply presented:

http://cashchanger.co/thailand/city-bangkok