Real Exchange Rate Info

Anything and everything about Thailand
pong

Re: Real Exchange Rate Info

Post by pong »

Restricting to BKK-even though I believe they now-or 1 of the 3 at least- also has a ''saakaa''=branch in Patters:
superrichthailand.com. A diligent google search will in the end show up all.
Very best rates as posted-for cash only- at their head branch beside the BigC opposite WTC=WorldTrade, there are 3 different ones: orange. green and blue+white, most Thai believe the greenone has best rates, though I never noted any difference, the orange one has many more branches, incl besides the building where ARENA is in along Silom-these offer slightly, very slight worse rates.
No prob at all to also buy other ASEAN currencies there-in fact I remember, years ago, I got slightly more cash CHINese CNY from them as exchanging str8 in China itself! and ditto last nov for a short trip to Taiwan.
IN-well hidden on higher floors, also a few offering about same in MBK shopping centre
Jun

Post by Jun »

I walked across the road from the Green Superrich HQ to an Orange Superrich and saw the same rates.

Some unknown "Happy something" shop in MBK had a marginally better rate advertised than the Green Superrich.
Problem#1: I had to talk through a glass window in a noisy location
Problem #2: The sum they showed me I would get didn't correspond to the advertised exchange rate. Obviously I put it through the calculator on my phone first.
This kind of BS is very rare in my experience of Thai money changers, who are mostly an honest and reliable lot. So naturally I left Happy????.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:29 pm The sum they showed me I would get didn't correspond to the advertised exchange rate.
Wouldn't that be illegal - advertising one rate, but giving you less than advertised?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:46 pmWouldn't that be illegal - advertising one rate, but giving you less than advertised?
I've no idea what Thai law says.

All I know is the Thai forex companies I've used have been very competitive, honest, straightforward and totally reliable in counting the money.
These days, I mostly use Wise. Before that, I would bring enough cash for up to 3 months and have it all converted to baht in one go. Thousands of £. Too many brown notes to count, so I just watch it through their counting machines. Not a single baht missing when I paid it into Kasikorn an hour later.

I'm not going to worry about one exception in the MBK centre. Particularly when it never got as far as me getting the cash out.