Phnom Penh

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Jun

Phnom Penh

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:46 pm What is transportation like in Phnom Penh? I still have never been to Cambodia. Most posts I've seen about Phnom Penh talk about the bars, but little else. Can you fill us in with some details - recommended places to stay, restaurants, bars, best way to hook up with boys, getting around, prices - whatever comes to mind.
Well, thanks to Covid border restrictions, I was last in Cambodia in Dec 2018.
I could have gone in 2023, but figured that trying the new Laos railway whilst the Chinese still had covid restrictions on rail traffic was a good idea.

How it Was:
Phnom Penh had some kind of bus network, with a very low frequency. I tried one bus and missed another, as I couldn't translate the number fast enough.
The best way of getting around was "Pass App". Like a local version of Bolt, using Indian Tuk Tuks. Quick, efficient & cheap. The older Cambodian style tuk tuks were also plentiful, but you either need to haggle well or pay 2~3x the price.
The airport was on the outskirts of the city. To get into the centre, I just walk past the tuk tuks in the airport compound and found one on the road, willing to take me to the centre for about $7.

I gather, as with Siem Reap, they are intending to reduce the attractiveness of the destination by building an airport that's too far from the city.

Boys were on the apps. Some asked for about $40 or $50, but there were also lads asking for nearer $20. Which I believe is more like it, on the basis that Cambodia is cheaper than Pattaya. There were a handful of bars, but only Toolbox was to my liking.

It looks like several bars have relocated since my last visit.

I will update with 2024 information later, but other board members are welcome to beat me to it.
Jun

Re: Phnom Penh

Post by Jun »

How it Is:
Airport: Still astonishingly efficient. Where else can you go from being on the plane to outside the terminal in 20 minutes, complete with a checked in bag? I did have the e-visa.
Then walk a very short distance past the taxis and tuk tuks in the airport compound, onto the road outside the airport and catch a cheaper tuk tuk into town for $7.
If you already have "Pass App" installed on your phone, that's likely to be even cheaper for a tuk tuk. This is the local "Bolt" equivalent, except it works far better.

There is a bus service from the airport, but it has about 30 stops, none of which is outside my hotel. The tuk tuk wins. I gather the bus might be just over $0.5.

In the city, there is a bus network. The route map just doesn't match what I found on the internet.
I can easily walk or use Pass App to get a very cheap tuk tuk. A very easy way to get around.
Jun

Phnom Penh: Massages and Sauna

Post by Jun »

The gay massage shops here seem to charge $15 or more for a 1 hour oil massage.
More like Bangkok prices than Pattaya prices. The reviews aren't that good either, particularly the genuine looking reviews.
I also suspect they don't have many customers. I've had numerous messages on Grinder from people at 2 of the shops. One wanted $20 for massage and another $30 for extra service.
I'm not paying over 700 baht for the massage.

Meanwhile, there are numerous girlie massage shops advertising $5 oil massages.
I checked some of these on google maps, looking for any indication of some male staff. However, what's really noticeable is the appalling customer reviews, with complaints of theft at multiple shops. Either involving theft from lockers, supposedly with a door on the back side, or having an accomplice crawl under the bed. One reviewer even posted a photo of someone hiding under the bed.

I was quoted $7 for a massage at the sauna, "The Love Spa". Which has a $3 entry fee. That's more like a Cambodia price, however, I had no need to try the massage, as this seems to be the only sauna I know where some of the young lads actually chase after someone of my age. I recommend this place.
The lockers seem secure and there are no reports of theft on google maps.
I suggest showering before going, as the showers are a dark area and if there is any soap, finding it isn't easy.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Visas
I have used an evisa on all my visits to Cambodia.
This is usually approved within 48 hours and entry into Cambodia has always been speedy.

Currency
USD, with KHR for smaller transactions. The KHR seems to be creeping into higher value transactions, with KHR more common for any change under $10.
The ATMs charge several USD per transaction. With the pitiful £300 withdrawal limit from UK banks, I figured I would be losing about 1.5% in ATM fees. I believe Christian PFC finds BRED Bank are the most competitive for ATM fees.
I bought USD from Superrich in Bangkok. The rate was better than mid-market. So converting from GBP to THB and then to USD still only cost around 0.5%.
I got $20 notes, as experience tells me these are easier to get rid of than $50s. I forgot to specify notes in good condition, so was given some with folds and one with a small tear. Some restaurants and my hotel didn't accept the some of the worst notes. I sorted the worst of them and managed to pass these off at convenience stores and Starbucks. Starbucks seem to take anything. [The standard of coffee at independent coffee shops in Phnom Penh was not as good as Thailand, so I made a few visits to Starbucks].

Phone
A SIM card was purchased at the airport, with lots of data and 1 month validity, for $8. Oddly, despite them requesting my passport, it was registered in another name. I popped into Metphone next day and they fixed that in about 5 minutes.

Transport
Use Pass App.
Like Bolt, but cheap, and far better, with an oversupply of tuk tuks. Unlike 5 years ago, it has a choice of Indian or Cambodian styke tuk tuks. The rate for the Indian Tuk Tuks is slightly lower than for the traditional Cambodian Tuk Tuks. The latter have space for more people and luggage.
Most of my fares were under $1.5.
Therefore getting around is far easier than in Pattaya.
Some tuk tuk drivers try offering you a "Pass App" service, then quote about 3x the pass app rate. I always used the app.

Phnom Penh also has a city bus service, with fairly frequent buses. There's an app which shows the routes. On this trip, I didn't try the bus.

Hotels
Some adequate options for around $20.

Costs:
Cheaper than Pattaya: Hotels, restaurants, coffee shops
Similar cost to Pattaya: Gay bars (between Jomtien and Boyztown prices)
More expensive than Pattaya:
Gay massage. $15 and more.Based on past experience and review scores, there's a risk of low quality. Convenience stores.

The gay bars charge around $3 for a beer, so about 108 baht. In the cheapest other bars in town, beer is available for around $0.75 and sometimes $0.5.
This is fine if the gay bar is good, as in the case of Toolbox.
I don't see the point of paying $3 +10% per drink to sit in the dark at POC. Nothing to see.

Boys:
Some are free, just because they like farang. Even at my age.
Money boys will quote between $20 and $100, the latter presumably trying it on. Between $20 and $30 seems to be the going rate.
Grindr is by far the busiest app, followed by Jack'd
Many of the boys on Grindr have jobs, so that cute lad who is pushing for a meeting when you're out at lunch probably won't be available later on in the day.
Lots of boys don't seem to have their real photo on the profile, so ask for it. Another favourite tactic is to send a photo shot from some distance, so the face is occupying about 1% of the picture.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

VERY Useful, detailed information. Thank you Jun.