Serious air pollution in Bangkok - Again

Anything and everything about Thailand
gerefan

Re: Serious air pollution in Bangkok - Again

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:04 pm They can blame Myanmar and farmers all they want. They might be a contributing factor, but doesn't it strike anyone as odd that every year the bulk of it lands right on top of Bangkok? Maybe there is just a little bit more to it . . .
A few minutes on Google will tell anyone that Thailand is currently under the effect of the North East Monsoon and has been for some time. As is usual for this time of year.

So the winds for the last week have been North Easterly and blowing any pollution from Myanmar directly AWAY from Thailand.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-s ... _366840015

TIT
Jun

Post by Jun »

Usually one glance at the AQI map tells us that most of the pollution in Thailand is generated in Thailand. Particularly when viewed in conjunction with some wind direction data and common sense.

Currently the pollution is bad near Bangkok, but not so bad near the Myanmar border.

This is just another way of saying what Gaybutton and Gerefan just said, but the Thai authorities choose to pretend otherwise & blame the neighbours.

https://aqicn.org/map/thailand/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I suppose it's worth a try. My grandmother would have recommended chicken soup . . .

Thai herbs: Nature’s secret weapon against deadly PM2.5 dust

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

January 18, 2024

Whilst Bangkokians battle with the silent killer, the potent PM2.5 air pollution, the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine unveils a game-changing solution to combat the notorious dust particles threatening the health of residents in the capital city.

Amidst rising concerns over the long-term health impacts of PM2.5 exposure, Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin, the face of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, reveals the secrets of four Thai herbs that promise to shield your lungs and heart from the invisible menace.

“Thai herbs have been scientifically proven to be effective in treating respiratory symptoms, as well as inflammation in internal organs caused by the fine dust slipping through the body’s screening mechanism.”

Highlighted as the frontline defender against fine dust pollution, the quartet includes little ironweed, laurel clockvine, Indian gooseberry, and turmeric. Dr Taweesilp prescribes little ironweed tea, also known as Ya Dok Khao, as a potent remedy for respiratory irritation, cautioning those with heart and liver conditions to consult physicians due to its high potassium content.

For detoxifying benefits, Dr Taweesilp recommends laurel clockvine or Rang Jeud, available in both tea and capsule forms. The Indian gooseberry, or Makham Pom, stands out for relieving inflammation and coughing, with its versatility in consumption—fresh, dried, or boiled into a soothing beverage.

Turmeric, celebrated for its culinary role, plays a dual role in reducing swelling and easing joint pain. Its active compound, curcumin, acts as a shield against air pollution-induced cell damage. However, caution prevails as Dr Taweesilp advises against its use for those with gallstones, reported The Nation.

Beyond herbal remedies, Dr Taweesilp underscores the significance of a well-balanced diet across five food groups, with a special emphasis on seasonal fruits and vegetables. More information can be found on the department’s Facebook page.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... pm2-5-dust
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Unless these magical Thai herbs can stop people from being allowed to pollute the air - they're useless.

Another Fred Flintstone solution. Gotta luv it!
Jun

Thailand: 10 million sought treatment for pollution-related illnesses in 2023

Post by Jun »

Thailand: 10 million sought treatment for pollution-related illnesses in 2023.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68487230

That's one in seven. Still not enough for them to do anything about it.

Not that I can say much. I had some Filtrete in my luggage and didn't fit it to the aircon until reading this article.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I haven't spotted the 10 million pollution related illnesses article in the Bangkok Post. The source NESDC document definitely refers to it. "the impact of PM 2.5 on public health, with 10.5 million cases of pollution-related diseases reported in 2023".

Either I missed the Bangkok Post article or they don't consider it important. I would have thought it justifies both reporting and some editorial comment.

Hidden within an article on PM2.5 Health Insurance, is a reference to 9.2 million air pollution related illnesses:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... ess-policy

Perhaps insurance is deemed more important than fixing the problem at source?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know if the article appeared in the Bangkok Post, but the following has appeared in several sources:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68487230
Jun

Post by Jun »

PM2.5 readings at approx 9:00 am
My bedroom 14 (with filter in aircon)
Living room 190 !!!! And it smells like it.
Communal hallway also around 190
Balcony 40

WHO safe limit 25
I suspect someone is cooking (burning) food at some uncivilised hour within the building

My neighbour across the corridor has some seals around the sides and top of his door frame. The largest gap is at the bottom of my door, so I've invested 44 baht in a seal for that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

My favorite part of the article says:
groups have called on the government to consider recognising these provinces as disaster areas. However, the government is reluctant to do so, aware of the potential long-term impact on tourism if the areas gain a reputation for poor air quality.
Apparently it is a disaster area. If the powers-that-be won't label it that way, what kind of reputation do they think will result if they ignore calling it for what it is and tourists start getting sick from the pollution? Trying to deceive tourists and residents is not my idea of the way to deal with the problem of reputation. And with plenty of negative publicity already out there, isn't it a little late to start worrying about and prioritizing reputation?

Again, it seems obvious to me they need to figure out everything contributing to such serious air pollution and aggressively put a stop to it. Maybe that's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but nevertheless it needs to be done, whatever it takes.

Northern Thailand braces for severe air pollution crisis

by Alex Morgan Alex

21 March 2024

Northern Thailand, specifically the provinces of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Mae Hong Son, are bracing for severe PM2.5 air pollution. These areas, surrounded by mountains and hills, have previously been rated as the most polluted globally.

The pollution crisis has strained the public healthcare system and forced locals to invest in air purifiers and face masks for protection. While some residents can afford private health insurance, many cannot.

Opposition political parties, medical professionals, and civic groups have called on the government to consider recognising these provinces as disaster areas. However, the government is reluctant to do so, aware of the potential long-term impact on tourism if the areas gain a reputation for poor air quality.

The fiscal budget allocation delay, from October 2023 to likely the following month, has intensified the debate. Opposition parties argue that declaring Chiang Mai a disaster area would grant the province additional funds to control the forest fires causing much of the pollution.

However, the government and some locals argue against this. They worry that insurance companies could refuse claims from incidents within the disaster area and that the reputation could deter tourists from visiting Thailand.

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin stated that the government must protect the tourism industry and that the decision not to declare these provinces disaster areas was taken after extensive discussion with relevant agencies.

Air pollution

Punlop Saejew, president of the Chiang Mai Tourism Council, echoed these concerns, stating that a disaster declaration would likely decrease tourism flow. He reported that between March 1 and March 16, Chiang Mai saw over 52,000 tourist arrivals via direct flights, generating at least 1 billion baht (US$ 28 million) for the province, particularly for the tourism sector supply chains. Punlop fears that without tourists, operators could accrue debts, leading to a surge in non-performing loans.

Punlop has suggested alternative approaches, such as the introduction of a Clean Air Act to deal with the PM2.5 haze. He urged all stakeholders to cooperate in implementing appropriate regulations, including severe punishment for offenders and rewards for those adhering to the rules.

For example, farmers who avoid slash-and-burn farming should be supported by the government, he suggested. Punlop also proposed a fundraising scheme to establish a fund to reduce air pollution, with investors being incentivised through tax reductions.

The pollution problem has also been flagged by Kamonsan Srivirach, chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce of Phayao, and Thomas Wilson, president and chief executive of Allianz Ayudhya Assurance. Kamonsan believes that declaring Chiang Mai a disaster zone requires careful thought due to the potential impact on tourism, but acknowledges the benefit of increased disaster mitigation and healthcare funding.

Wilson stated that pollution is a significant issue for Thailand, caused mainly by forest fires and crop burning in the northern region and heavy traffic, factories, and construction in Bangkok.

The implications for the private insurance industry have been less significant than the public health impacts due to the variance in insurance penetration rates in the north compared to Bangkok. Insurance penetration rates are higher in Bangkok due to greater income levels and industry education, meaning the impact on respiratory disease claims is likely to be higher in Bangkok than in the north, reported Bangkok Post.

However, Wilson suggests that both public and private measures should be explored to address the issue, including stricter enforcement of forest burning bans, encouraging remote work, and reducing electricity use.

https://thethaiger.com/news/business/no ... ion-crisis
Jun

Post by Jun »

The political response is a disaster area.

Rather than bicker over how they classify this, how about passing some rules to ban crop burning and some rules to cut back on urban pollution as well?

Then they need to consider how to enforce the rules, which is tricky without an effective police force.

As for tourists, well I'm unlikely to go anywhere near Chiang Mai due to the pollution, irrespective of how they classify it.
Not only is there the health risk, but my next trip up there ought to include some countryside, but what's the point if I can't see the views through the haze ?