Major fire at Pattaya tourist attraction - Floating Market

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Major fire at Pattaya tourist attraction - Floating Market

Post by Gaybutton »

Breaking News: Massive fire raging uncontrollably at Pattaya’s 4 Regions Floating Market

By Pattaya Mail

September 7, 2023

A massive fire is raging uncontrollably at the 4 Regions Floating Market in Pattaya. The Chonburi Provincial Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said that the fire erupted at 7:50 p.m. this evening.
Fueled by strong winds, the blaze swiftly engulfed the iconic floating market. Firefighters and emergency personnel are facing the daunting challenge of accessing the fire within the market’s confines. Their efforts focused on containing the flames from the front to prevent it spreading.

Preliminary reports suggest extensive structural damage within the floating market, accompanied by reports of sporadic explosions from witnesses at the scene of the inferno. To further complicate matters, rain began to fall in the area, adding complexity to the already grim situation.

The exact cause of the fire is still unknown. Pattaya Mail will keep you updated as new details emerge in the ongoing battle to manage this fiery crisis. At this moment, the firefighters’ paramount concern is the safety of all individuals in and around the affected area.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/breaki ... ket-440101
Gaybutton

Re: Major fire at Pattaya tourist attraction - Floating Market

Post by Gaybutton »

50-million baht is roughly equivalent to US $1,430,000.
________________________________________________________________________________

Fire Causes Severe Damage to Pattaya Floating Market, Estimated 50 Million Baht of Damages

By Goongnang Suksawat

7 September, 2023

A severe fire has damaged the Four Regions Floating Market in which the total cost of damages is initially being estimated of at least 50 million baht. The fire is believed to have started at a wooden restroom building. There are no significant injuries or deaths reported as of press time

The Pattaya City Police were notified of the fire at 8:30 P.M. on Thursday (September 7th) at the Four Regions Floating Market on Sukhumvit Road. Police, firefighters with about 20 fire engines, and The Pattaya News arrived at the scene to find the fire heavily ablaze. As of press time, the fire was largely under control although small pockets of flames and embers remained.

Staffers at the market told the Pattaya News that at 7:00 P.M., they were finishing work and were heading back to their homes. There were some sparks before the fire started in the middle of the market at the wooden toilets before the fire spread. At this stage, the cost of damages is being estimated of at least 50 million baht. Many Floating Market employees/vendors were seen by reporters desperately trying to rescue their belongings and stalls from the flames while firefighters ordered them to evacuate the market and move to safety.

There were reports of slight injuries from employees escaping the blaze, but nothing serious, according to Pattaya City officials. Some vendors reportedly jumped into the water to escape the flames and swam to safety, as the market has many canals and lakes surrounding the market areas.

The Pattaya City Mayor Poramese Ngampiches arrived at the scene shortly after the fire began and set up a command centre along with senior firefighting officials to determine the exact cause of the fire and provide support to those affected.

The Pattaya Floating Market is a major tourist attraction of about 60 acres in the area and comprised of four different regions, primarily composed of bamboo and wood. The market has hundreds of vendors and stalls and normally has thousands of tourists a day, mostly Asian or domestic Thai tourists. However, as the fire took place after closing time there were limited numbers of people present at the tourist attraction.

The park also contains a number of elephants who were seen being led to safety by handlers earlier in the night.

This is a developing story and The Pattaya News will provide further updates as they become available.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/09/07/f ... f-damages/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Pattaya News wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:00 pmThe market has hundreds of vendors and stalls and normally has thousands of tourists a day, mostly Asian or domestic Thai tourists.
Seems like I'm not the only farang tourist who has little interest in visiting a floating market built & staged for tourists ?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

It was a tourist trap….in more ways than one!!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Floating Market burnt down. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt.

I wonder how many reading this never bothered going there. I wonder how many will miss it.

I went once. I'm sorry it burnt down, but nothing about it appealed to me at all - a true tourist trap. When I went, there were many tourists there, mostly Chinese. My guess it catered to Chinese much more than anyone else and I believe it was yet another venue built with Chinese tourists in mind, but not with much consideration for safety. Don't building inspectors actually inspect and check for fire safety? I hope it was not another case of authorities looking the other way. But in my opinion there is no valid reason for the place to have been a fire hazard.

For it to burn with such intensity and spread so rapidly, it's a good thing hardly anyone was there at the time. If it had happened in the middle of the afternoon, we might have been looking at yet another major tragedy.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:06 amI wonder how many reading this never bothered going there. I wonder how many will miss it.
As you might infer from my previous post, I've never been & I won't miss it.

I've also not been to any near Bangkok. I presume some of those at least have authentic heritage, so I wouldn't rule out doing it one day. Even if those might be still surviving for tourists ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:21 pm I've also not been to any near Bangkok. I presume some of those at least have authentic heritage
Authentic floating markets are mostly a thing of the past. There may still be a few authentic ones around, but I have no idea where to find them, although, speaking only for myself, I doubt I would be interested anyway.

Police intensify investigation into cause of Pattaya Floating Market Fire

By Pattaya Mail

September 9, 2023

Investigators from the Nongprue police station accompanied by officers from the Chonburi Police Forensic Science department along with engineers representing the Four Regions Floating Market, made an on-site inspection on Sept 8, one day after the devastating fire, to collect vital evidence at the scene and interview eyewitnesses, including market workers and night-shift police officers.

These individuals provided consistent accounts that the fire originated near a carving and aluminum workshop adjacent to the Northern Zone Exhibition Hall just before the incident. They reported hearing an explosion and witnessing a sizable fireball, which rapidly engulfed other areas, making containment challenging. During the incident, one person, identified as Mr. Dhanupol Phongpheng, a 37-year-old shop owner at the market, sustained injuries. He attempted to retrieve his belongings but was overwhelmed by smoke and subsequently transported to Pattaya City Hospital. Currently, he is stable and under close medical supervision.

Pol. Col. Tawee Kudtalang, Superintendent of Nongprue Police Station, informed reporters over the phone that initial actions involved dispatching investigative officers to gather statements and evidence. The cause of the fire remains undetermined at this stage and awaits further examination by the evidence collection team. It is yet unclear whether the fire resulted from negligence or was purely accidental.

In the meantime, management at the Four Regions Floating Market decided to replace fabric awnings with solid, opaque screens in the affected area. This measure aims to restrict public access and safeguard the scene from view, citing concerns about evidence security and potential property damage. Media access will be granted once the evidence collection process is complete.

The Four Regions Floating Market has temporarily closed to tourists. Management representatives are collaborating with insurance companies and have established registration desks for affected shop owners. While insurance coverage is in place, precise coverage amounts are pending confirmation. As investigations progress, additional details will emerge, and the market management will provide media updates as they become available.

Story and photos: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/police ... ire-440292
Jun

Post by Jun »

Pattaya Mail wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:34 pmIt is yet unclear whether the fire resulted from negligence or was purely accidental.
One could argue that there's no such thing as a purely accidental fire.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:50 pm
Pattaya Mail wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:34 pmIt is yet unclear whether the fire resulted from negligence or was purely accidental.
One could argue that there's no such thing as a purely accidental fire.
I tend to think this fire is a result of negligence, poor planning, shoddy workmanship, and incompetence rather than thinking it might be an act of arson.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:31 pmI tend to think this fire is a result of negligence, poor planning, shoddy workmanship, and incompetence rather than thinking it might be an act of arson.
I agree and nevertheless, none of those causes should be dismissed as an "accident".