Rival taxi disputes

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Rival taxi disputes

Post by Gaybutton »

There has been several reports of fights, sometimes very violent fights, breaking out especially if a taxi is picking up passengers in what a rival taxi service claims is their "territory", although I know of nothing official establishing their territories. As far as I know, the "taxi mafia" handles that. At least until recently, that seemed to be good enough for everyone.

One thing the powers-that-be can do is make the metered taxis and motorbike taxis abide by the same rules and at the same prices as Bolt and Grab. Also, I don't know why the "taxi mafia" isn't doing what Bolt and Grab do by providing online apps that bring the taxis right to your door and you know in advance what the price will be. If they are not doing that, then unless a "regular" taxi happens to be right there when you want one, why on earth would the customer use anything other than Bolt or Grab, especially considering their prices are always less than "regular" taxis charge, sometimes much less, and often you don't even know what the "regular" taxi fare is going to be until you get to your destination? With Bolt and Grab you know the fare even before ordering the taxi. The app tells you - and tells the driver.

If they are not making themselves as customer friendly as Bolt and Grab - and I think Lineman also offers taxi service - then it seems foolish for them to think customers are going to choose them. It was one thing, up until just a few years ago, when those taxis were virtually a monopoly and the only service in town. Now they have competition. So, they better start competing instead of violent brawling.

Pattaya City Officials to Further Address Issues Between Rival Motorbike Taxi Companies

By Adam Judd

2 September, 2023

Pattaya City officials have addressed a number of signs going up around the area warning Bolt and Grab drivers that they cannot pick up passengers within a hundred meters of an Orange Vest motorbike taxi booth.

According to officials, the rule is not a law and is rather a “Gentlemen’s Agreement” between the rival companies. Customers should not be penalized or placed in the middle of disputes over this agreement, and officials warned that doing so can hurt tourism. Ultimately, customers have the right to decide which service they want to use.

Grab is mostly following current rules and regulations, added officials, but Bolt has agreed to meet all the rules by November. This includes that all drivers must have transport licenses, plates, insurance, registration, be registered with the city, pass a criminal background check, and pay city fees and taxes. Additionally, they want Bolt drivers to have vests/jackets and clear identification cards with all their legal information above similar to other companies.

Pattaya City officials have also suggested that Bolt have registered and taxed stands and physical locations like orange vest motorbike taxi booths, but this is unlikely to happen.

After all Bolt drivers are properly registered and licensed, the Gentlemen’s Agreement will likely end and the services will, according to officials, be able to co-exist.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/09/02/p ... companies/
gerefan

Re: Rival taxi disputes

Post by gerefan »

“Pattaya City officials have also suggested that Bolt have registered and taxed stands and physical locations like orange vest motorbike taxi booths, but this is unlikely to happen.”

Do Pattaya City “officials” have any idea?

The whole point of Bolt Taxis is that they come to you. I use them and they drive right up to my condo door if I need one from there. If I am out and about they also come directly to me.

The idea of having stands (with dozens of taxis parked) is clearly ridiculous in a busy city like Pattaya. Am I likely to walk hundreds of metres just to find one? No way.