Jack'D Scammers

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Jun

Jack'D Scammers

Post by Jun »

Jack'D has relatively few users, but does have the advantage of not having intrusive advertising. I suspect the reason for it being not widely used is the buggy performance of the app about 5 or more years ago.

Yesterday I was contacted by a profile with a cute looking photo and claims of being in late 20s. In the UK, but a considerable distance away from me.
We chatted for a while and then he wanted to move the conversation to WhatsApp or Telegram.

The moment we moved onto Telegram, he started trying to push some crypto "investment", with guaranteed daily returns of 6%. An obvious scam.
In my view, the entire crypto industry is a scam, but the guaranteed daily returns part removes all doubt.

I have reported his profile on Jack'D, but the app has no facility to include a screenshot from the obviously linked Telegram conversation.

It's relatively common for people to ask to move the conversation to a chat app, but I think it's usually due to faster and more reliable responses on the chat apps.
This is the first time I've encountered a scammer.
Gaybutton

Re: Jack'D Scammers

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:29 pm he started trying to push some crypto "investment", with guaranteed daily returns of 6%.
I had the exact same type of scam tried on me. Mine was on Hornet. The guy pushed very hard. I knew it was a scam, but I was having a good time stringing him along until he finally figured out he was talking to the wrong potential victim.

The smarter scammers, if they get any money out of you at all, will tell you that you just won 4 times your investment and really send it to you. Then they play for greed because now the victim thinks he can trust the scammer. If you invest a lot more, imagine how much you'll win quickly and easily.

There really is a big winner - the scammer.

"If it's too good to be true, it's not true."
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:51 pmI knew it was a scam, but I was having a good time stringing him along until he finally figured out he was talking to the wrong potential victim.
I did some of that. He was asking if I might invest & I was replying "firstly show me how to calculate the intrinsic value of this".

The other thing you get on Jack'D is occasional random messages from someone in Africa. Not only are they several thousand miles away, but they are usually enormous guys, so even if they were genuine people living close to me, I would have no interest. A clone of an 18 year old Marcus Rashford might stand more chance.

Meanwhile, it seems like Grindr have finally got some control over the spammers on their site.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:55 pm The other thing you get on Jack'D is occasional random messages from someone in Africa.
I get those, but not from the apps. I get Emails - usually something like a promise from Dr. Umleke Kaloonga who wants to put 30-million dollars into my bank account to help him get that money out of whatever country he says he's from. He's probably really some unshaven, unwashed scumbag living in a broken down tenement in the Bronx - drinking a warm beer from yesterday with a few cigarette ashes in it and sitting on a chair with springs popping through the cushion and dumping cigarette ashes into an ashtray that probably hasn't been emptied since 1966.

Best not to respond to these people at all. Just delete the message without even opening it. I responded once by telling him to send the money to me via Western Union and I'll put it into the bank for him. Next day I started getting an average of 5 similar messages a day, often more, and it went on for over two years before It finally stopped. I still occasionally get those messages, but I just delete them. In other words, they also sell lists of Email addresses from people who sent in some sort of response. Don't make that mistake. It gets very annoying.

I guess they must still get people to fall for it and see their bank accounts wiped out. Otherwise, why would they continue sending out this junk?

If you ever do fall for it, don't expect your bank to reimburse you or help you in any other way. There is a big difference between having money stolen from your account and voluntarily giving out your banking information to these people.

It's hard for me to believe that in 2023 there still are people who fall for these scams despite many years of publicity and warnings, but apparently there are people - intelligent people - who get roped in.

I guess the scammers know what P.T. Barnum knew: "There's a sucker born every minute."
Jun

Post by Jun »

I remember another obvious scammer who claimed he had an arrangement to use rooms at a local hotel "short time", but with advance payment by bank transfer only.
In the unlikely event of having such an arrangement, I'm sure cash would be preferred.
Just in case that was not obvious enough, this guy was operating with some super secure Swiss e-mail provider.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The scammers always seem to be able to come up with something new.

NOTE: This is my favorite scammer video. It is VERY loud. I suggest turning your volume way down before viewing the video. I'm sorry, but this is the only complete episode of this that I could find that also would appear on the board.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Jack'D did suspend the scammer profile.