International Driving Permit IDP

Anything and everything about Thailand
billyhouston

Re: International Driving Permit IDP

Post by billyhouston »

Having recently renewed my Thai car and motorbike driving licences and not having watched the online video (DLT said this was not necessary in my case!) I was nevertheless required to watch a 45-minute video at the DLT. It was variously informative, amusing and contained one particular error. It referenced an International Driving Licence instead of a IDPermit. I had a private 'snigger', but left it at that. It may be of interest to those from UK that you may drive on your Thai licence in the UK, provided that you passed your test in the UK. I was given 3-years validity in UK and 6-years in Thailand..... don't ask!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I've been driving both motorbike and car (pickup truck) since my very first holidays in Thailand and wouldn't think of going without this convenience.

I routinely rented a motorbike for my 3 month holidays which allowed to me travel anywhere, at any time that I wanted - resulting in me going to more places in an ordinary day than I would if I were relying on public transport.

As far as renting a car went, the very first trip to Isaan via a bus was the last time. Too dangerous for me. The bus was poorly maintained with a large crack in the windshield right in front of my seat - and driving over the mountains in those days was dangerous enough without worrying about your bus driver falling asleep at the wheel.

After that I always rented a pick up truck for my journeys North - felt a lot safer being in control of the steering wheel,,,more comfortable...more freedom to stop or take side trips...and was worth every satang that I paid for the rental. Not to mention the fact that getting a blowjob while your traveling is much easier. Always gotta watch those priorities... :lol:

I purchased my own motorbike and pickup truck a few years before retiring over here. Drive everywhere. I couldn't (or wouldn't) want to live without them.

Once you learn how the Thais drive, which, aside from the fact that half of them are insane, is different than in the West, you're as safe as can be expected. I drive slow and cautious...never aggressive...allow plenty of space between me and the guy in front of me...don't trust a single one of them when it comes to lane crossings/merging's, etc...never drive after dark...and carefully plan trips when driving long distances during the peak holidays to avoid heavy traffic.

For tourists who are here on short holidays (a few weeks rather than months) I think using public transportation is the way to go. It takes time to learn how to co-exist on the roads in Thailand with a large percentage of totally insane drivers around you, and
evan an International Driving License has its risks. I was advised years ago that unless you have a Thai drivers license you could find yourself standing on shaky ground in the event you have an accident.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Why should you be in trouble without a Thai driving licence?

Even the police themselves say you must have a valid non Thai licence for the type of vehicle AND an International Driving Permit.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

gerefan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:27 am
Why should you be in trouble without a Thai driving licence?

Even the police themselves say you must have a valid non Thai licence for the type of vehicle AND an International Driving Permit.
According to the law you shouldn't be in any trouble at all, but, this being Thailand, things get interpreted different ways - by different people - at different times - for different reasons...commonly translating down to talking about $$money$$ during the process.

I've heard many stories over the years about farang getting in road accidents involving a Thai and the farang driver often (not always) comes out on the bottom end of the deal if all he's holding is an international license and/or license form his home country. This is the reason (the only reason) I switched from carrying an international license to a Thai drivers license years ago when I was still holidaying over here.