Bar Reports

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Bar Reports

Post by Jun »

Space Hair Bar (Phnom Penh)
I think this is still in the same location as 5 years ago.
This is a bar with large and very well fed waiters. Fine for people who like that kind of thing.
Beer $3, with salted nuts. I bought one. I should have kept walking, like I did 5 years ago.

Blue Chilli
The sign outside advertises drag shows and the new location is up some stairs covered in a red carpet. That's the limit of my research.

Toolbox is the pick of the crop here.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Asia Traveler wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:38 am I generally avoid Phnom Penh these days as it is a bit too busy for me but I would recommend Rambutan Resort. It is a gay owned hotel and the building next door is Arthur and Paul another gay hotel which is more fancy and upscale.
You're right about upscale:
Montree

Post by Montree »

A bit off topic but it is about Cambodia.

When I first visited Cambodia with my Thai boyfriend in 2007 we were met at Siem Reap airport by our guide “Som” who had been recommended by a Vietnamese friend. My boyfriend is always very keen to tell anyone and everyone that we are are a couple so he had told Som we were gay within minutes of our meeting. Som responded that he heard of gay people but had never met a gay couple before because “there were no gay people in Cambodia!”.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Montree wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:01 am never met a gay couple before because “there were no gay people in Cambodia!”.
A few years ago a kindly soul by the name of Ahmadinejad informed us of the same thing regarding Iran. Of course, in Iran if they catch them, they hang them. Cancel my trip to Tehran.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

They’re all working in Pattaya! I interact with Cambodians more than Thais now. I’m trying to learn some basic Kmer but it’s just as difficult as learning Thai to me.
Some similarities like soke sabai but it’s difficult.
I wish they shared the same numbers like Lao does. Thanks to that I can say I speak some Lao.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Rocket wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:03 pmThey’re all working in Pattaya! I interact with Cambodians more than Thais now.
Agreed. Typically, over 80% of the boys I meet are from Cambodia or Laos.
Rocket wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:03 pmI wish they shared the same numbers like Lao does.
The written Thai numbers are almost identical to the Khmer numbers. Spoken numbers seem to be different.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:07 pm Agreed. Typically, over 80% of the boys I meet are from Cambodia or Laos.
I'm not surprised. Even before Covid it was mostly foreign boys working in the bars. Thai boys seemed to have lost interest, probably because there simply were not enough customers to make it worthwhile for them and they gravitated to the apps.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:02 am I'm not surprised. Even before Covid it was mostly foreign boys working in the bars. Thai boys seemed to have lost interest, probably because there simply were not enough customers to make it worthwhile for them and they gravitated to the apps.
The Thais probably have other career options as well, whereas I doubt many Cambodian or Lao lads can get well paid jobs.

I also prefer skinny lads, without facial hair or tattoos. I suspect these requirements decrease the proportion of Thais in the mix.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:57 am I also prefer skinny lads, without facial hair or tattoos.
I've gotten to the point that a few small tattoos no longer bother me, but any facial or body hair - for me that's verboten. And I also don't mind earrings, but piercings anywhere else - also verboten.

I think you, me, and most reading this can afford to be selective. After all, no matter where they come from, fortunately there is no shortage of boys on the apps.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:12 pmAnd I also don't mind earrings, but piercings anywhere else - also verboten.
I agree on that. Thankfully it's a much rarer problem, so I didn't even mention it.

I'll overlook leg tattoos, or perhaps discrete tatoos elsewhere. Anything which covers much of the torso or the neck is a no no.
Tattoos seem to be more accepted in Thailand, even to quite a high leveL
I think they’re an abomination.