Farang insurance dilemmas building up

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Farang insurance dilemmas building up

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:What the government might do, though, is add a requirement for a medical insurance policy amongst the documents that have to be submitted each year
I'm surprised they haven't already done that, but so far they have not required evidence of medical insurance.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

To require medical insurance for new retirement visas would be reasonable. However, those who are simply renewing their retirement visa should have grandfather rights (acquired rights) and not be required to show evidence of medical insurance.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Daniel wrote:those who are simply renewing their retirement visa should have grandfather rights
You just used one of my favorite words when it comes to the way things work in Thailand - "should." There are a lot of "shoulds" around here.

The problem is, if Thailand starts requiring people trying to renew their retirement visa to show evidence of insurance, other than complying I don't know what else you could do about it. It would be either comply or you don't get the renewal.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Let's just hope it doesn't become a condition of renewal; this would cause a big problem for many retired expats. Thailand might save a few baht on hospital costs, but ultimately would lose a great deal more from the money spent by these expats, if they were forced to leave Thailand.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Daniel wrote:Let's just hope it doesn't become a condition of renewal; this would cause a big problem for many retired expats. Thailand might save a few baht on hospital costs, but ultimately would lose a great deal more from the money spent by these expats, if they were forced to leave Thailand.
Anyone who has sold up back home to retire here, is not insured and now beyond insurable age will almost certainly have no possibility of retiring back home. The cost of renting even a broom cupboard, the cost of food and so on will make it prohibitively expensive unless he has family with whom he can stay. That assumes he would be welcome and would wish to stay with relatives.

But I wonder if the second part of your post is correct. In theory, the government assumes that those on retirement visas will spend about Bt. 800,000 a year. But that amount need only be in a bank account for three months of each year. I am certain there are many who spend quite a bit less less but find a way of topping up their accounts prior to renewal time. An uninsured expat requiring urgent heart bypass surgery or another similar expensive procedure will likely cost the hospital more than that amount. Then there is the possibility of needing on-going care. Since the majority of the uninsured are likely to be in their late 60s and 70s, the law of averages suggests the total cost could end up being more than the economic benefit of their being able to stay.

Were I ever to find myself in that situation, I guess I'd try to move to a neighbouring cheaper country. Personally I would find it extremely difficult - and depressing - if I had to return to the UK.
Timelord

Post by Timelord »

Daniel wrote:To require medical insurance for new retirement visas would be reasonable. However, those who are simply renewing their retirement visa should have grandfather rights (acquired rights) and not be required to show evidence of medical insurance.
Why! Should only new retirement applicants be show evidence of medical insurance? When those who are simply renewing their retirement visa should have grandfather rights (acquired rights) and not be required to show evidence of medical insurance.

Please inform me by what magic! A person who has an “extension of stay” in the past is less inclined to need medical assistance in the future?

As this subject has been brought about by the Thai health authorities claiming that “foreigners” are costing them too much money because they do not have insurance in place to pay their bills etc.…

It’s not my intention to upset anybody with my next statement, just a matter of fact but!

First time applicants are younger, healthier and have had continues medical support from there countries free services (UK) or by way there companies insurance etc. I know quite a few expats in Thailand most if not all could not afford the high cost of insurance or the cost of medical intervention.

Most first timer’s also have more money than guy’s who have been here a long time, be the fact of just stopping work, better pension, pay-out, or sold house so may have more savings.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Timelord, Grandfathering is not a new concept and is done and accepted worldwide. Your assumption that new retirees are wealthier than the older ones is argumental, especially when measured in "real" dollars. I know many retirees here that have homes, condos, cars, life insurance, stock portfolios, boyfriends, etc. but health insurance in this country may not be affordable but worse yet is not available for numerous reasons. These old-timers are basically self-insured and if seriously ill may return to their home country if they choose. Most foreign countries do not provide health coverage for retirees when living abroad(i.e., UK, NZ, USA). Someone can correct me but I believe bank account /income requirement went from 200,000 to 400,000 and finally to the current 800,000 baht. Undoubtedly, the 800k will be increased someday and I expect to be grandfathered. In my view, to change the rules of the game while still being played is simply unfair.
Timelord

Post by Timelord »

Up2u wrote:Timelord, Grandfathering is not a new concept and is done and accepted worldwide.
I do agree with the notion that “Grandfathering” is not a new concept and is done and accepted worldwide but normally where no ongoing cost are incurred, this is not the case here.

Moreover what happens when new retires get to a stage where health insurance in Thailand gets unaffordable or worse yet is not available for numerous reasons but then are still required to provide such insurance for their extension of stay, what then?

Is this a case of “I’m alright jack” and by then people with “Grandfathering rights” will not be around anyway.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:health insurance in this country may not be affordable
I don't think that's the problem. A close friend is a higher-up with a well known Thai insurance company. She made it clear that the health insurance is affordable to most, but the maximum insurance they make available to foreigners is a payout max of 70,000 baht per year - hardly enough to cover much of anything serious enough to hospitalize you.

That's why most farang I know carry their medical insurance from non-Thai companies.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

fountainhall wrote:
Were I ever to find myself in that situation, I guess I'd try to move to a neighbouring cheaper country. Personally I would find it extremely difficult - and depressing - if I had to return to the UK.
My thoughts exactly.

As far as health insurance. I picked up an annual policy with Liberty Mutual Group (LMG) (Pattaya Office) two years ago which provides 1 million baht coverage per medical incident - no deductible - in-patient costs only - no preexisting conditions - for 32,000 baht/year. Those enrolling over age 65 would pay more. This provides me basic coverage for any fairly significant medical needs, as well as a buffer if anything really major occurred and I needed in-patient emergency care before being fit enough to make the trip home (U.S.) for continued care. This policy is well worth the investment of 88 baht per day just for the peace-of-mind. Hell, that's the price of a cup of coffee and a cookie!