Tarntawan Closing?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Bangkokian

Re: Tarntawan Closing?

Post by Bangkokian »

gerefan wrote:I suspect the whole lot will be demolished and re-built...mark my words
WHY do you suspect this? Does the hotel and apartment block have the same owner?
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Yes. And Dick's Cafe....both of them.

Latest post on Sawatdee suggests that it's only the apartments that are closing. I'll know for sure soon enough because I'm about to confirm my arrival at the hotel next week at the hotel and I shall pop the question.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

No has commented on Moana Inc. terminating leases/contracts on all the residents of Tartawan Apartments. Some had two year contracts! One old fella I know has lived there for 10 or more years. This is legal in Thailand? I think not but if the parent company moves out of Thailand then legal remedies might not be worth the effort and expense.

As for the Tartawan Hotel if you have made a booking via Agoda you have some protection if the hotel suddenly closes. They have prepared for this contingency and don't pay the hotel until after your booking date and you get a full refund. It happen to me once. As for the inconvenience, you're stuck with that.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I mentioned in my last Trip Report that I had never witnessed Tarntawan Place being so slow, and assume that the holding company is selling the Tarntawan Apartment building (next to the hotel) as a means of offsetting the loss in total business revenue. Personally, I would be surprised if Tarntawan Place was also being sold as rumored. If so, it would be a sad moment, as they have always been one of the best managed gay friendly hotels in Bangkok.

I booked my arrival night stay at Tarntawan on October 2nd and received the same discounted rate that they have been offering for the past 4 or 5 months. I will talk to Lucas and the staff who I have known for years to try to get the straight dope.

The massive increase in Asian tourists (mostly Chinese) and decline in farang tourists (including gay tourists in general) has created a major shift in the dynamics in the Thai service industry. The Chinese book a lot of rooms and tours, but don't spend any money at the bars or restaurants which I believe is forcing the change that we see now. Dick's Cafe, which was always packed with customers in years gone by is practically vacant, as the constant stream of Chinese voyeurs walk by holding hands. Evan the Pat Pong Night Market is feeling the pain, as most of the crap they sell at their stands are made in China which of course is of little interest to the Chinese tourists.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

The land is probably worth more than the buildings. The same can be said for the entire Soi Twilight. No one in the Soi is doing any real business and they are paying rent, if someone offered them enough money surely they'd leave.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Oliver wrote:Yes. And Dick's Cafe....both of them.
I was asking about the land and buildings ----- not the businesses that lease them.
Sorry if I was not clear.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

I wrote to the Tarntawan Place Hotel about a booking in December and received this reply...

"Moana Hotels & Resorts will stop managing the Tarntawan Place 30 September 2016. The owning company will continue running the place under a new management and new name. Current reservations (with or without deposit) will be honoured.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

My reservation for September and February have been confirmed. Will the new management be as welcoming to gay guests? Many of the staff there have been employees for years; I hope their jobs are secure.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

I'm registering today as a member primarily in gratitude to Trongpai (for making this timely post) and Gaybutton (for maintaining this forum). Although I've been a reader for many years I never before registered because I didn't think I had anything unique to contribute. I have, however, benefited a lot from the contributors here and on the other boards--some now history--and most of the now defunct blogs.

It happens that I planned, in the next few days, to make reservations at Tarntawan for an upcoming trip. The news left me with a sense of sadness that I couldn't have predicted. It's been nearly 15 years since I made my first trip to BKK and Tarntawan was my first stop. I've been returning a few times a year since and always stayed once or twice at TP each time. The reasons are not unlike many others: predictability, security, convenience, acceptance and familiarity with staff.

As I reflect on those early visits, I realize just how much I miss them because the changes have been so profound. The first bar I visited was Balcony and the mix was probably half farang and half Thai and there weren't a lot of open stools at the bar. It was on my second trip that I managed to find Babylon. I couldn't believe my good fortune; I felt like I had shed 20 years.

Although I've been a loyal Soi 4 patron, I abandoned my Babylon excursions seven years ago. As the number of Thais dropped off and the number of farangs blossomed, I had to acknowledge that it no longer represented the reason I travel 8,000 miles.

Along with many others, I lament the closing of so many venues in BKK and Patts. While I agree that apps and social media share responsibility, I think others factors are responsible. Among them, obviously, is the rocketing number of Chinese visitors who seem (as Trongpai notes) travel in packs and seem to be there primarily for the entertainment. Sort of a Thai version of Vegas, I guess. But that factor doesn't explain the waning number of western visitors. Surely costs have risen but they have everywhere. And farangs (particularly the younger) benefit from the apps at home. And there's the sense that Thais are generally less welcoming to foreigners of many stripes.

I believe the many TP loyalists will agree that the place was getting tired but management was doing its best to keep it clean and welcoming. The new owner(s), however, will likely undertake a general refurbishing, including the mechanical systems. Plumbing, which probably causes most of the issues in older buildings, will probably be high on the punch list. New baths and decor will certainly be on the menu. But they'll wait until low season to begin, I would think.

I doubt that new management will be any less welcoming to TP's previous clients than most other hotels in Silom. However, if I was going to take over a new property there I would certainly want to grab a bigger slice of the Chinese business so that may change the overall atmosphere. I doubt there's going to be a significant staff turnover in the near future. And though it appears that the hotel will continue to be open I don't see it retaining its current character if the changes we've seen in BKK and Patts are predictive.

I just checked the Agoda site. If you attempt to search for TP beginning Oct. 1, the name Tarntawan Place doesn't exist. So we can assume the first thing we'll see is a new name. It also seems probable that the new owner is an established group of local hotel operators who are well experienced doing business in Bangkok.

Now I intend to pour myself another drink and put on some jazz CD's (if you remember CD's you remember Tarntawan).
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Agoda is still listing Tarntawan Place - and Tarntawan Place is still taking reservations for October and beyond.

https://www.agoda.com/pages/agoda/defau ... ecommended