Mid-Feb Trip Mini-Report

Anything and everything about Thailand
ก้นconnoisseur

Mid-Feb Trip Mini-Report

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Since I often enjoy reading trip reports I thought I’d try at least a short one as I usually haven’t much time to post. Here goes:

Hot Weather

On deplaning to get on a bus on the tarmac to the terminal I got three steps down the stairs and thought “Wow, feels like summer”. This was a continual thought throughout my stay. The humidity stayed low enough most of the time to make it manageable but afternoons could be quite hot. From what I see as forecasts it looks like this may be the new normal. Nighttimes were pretty good though.

Hot Guys

Let’s get to most reader’s main interest.

Jomtien: First night I was there some birthday event or something was going on towards the end of the soi. They had a karaoke machine and people (men) got up and sang a song, often not very well (I heard My Way 3 times). The whole soi was mobbed with farang and guys working the bars. It was incredibly loud, I’m sure you could hear it as far down as the beach. My guesthouse only had a room facing the soi that night. Even with earplugs firmly in place it was impossible to sleep before 2 a.m. (grrr!) From the looks of things on most nights this area is doing very well.

BT: Don’t spend much time up there anymore but did a mini-tour once. Drink in Dreamboys, typical group of guys, not very busy. Peeked in Vassa and Toy Boys as doors were open, lots of twinks. Drink in Cupidol which was very busy and had a large crowd onstage in tidy whities (rather like a wet dream), many very nice.

Sunee Plaza: Cannot understand why so many keep chalking this area up as fading history. As Mark Twain said “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” I counted 12 places that are ongoing concerns. Yes, it’s not like 10-15+ years ago but it is very much alive. Nice Boys, my favorite, busy and always a party like atmosphere and mix of guys. Winner, again fun atmosphere and steady business and good mix. Eden, a new discovery for me, run buy a very nice, friendly, cute guy named Kone (pronounced Gone). Pleasant, relaxing atmosphere and the best drink prices in town @ red wine 100 baht.

Hot Food

Salt and Pepper is my favorite dinner spot with good food and good prices. Mr Z is very friendly. They have a new waiter who is very cute and I think increasing their business. Deli Diner, also good food but be prepared for your food to come out pretty slowly, even for Thailand. There is an adorable waitress there. Seems like a family business. Also, the open air restaurant on the corner of SuperTown or whatever they call Jomtien now, across from the new Chinese restaurant/guesthouse. Consistently good food and available late night after most else has closed. Spring Onion is also a gem.

Great Service

Based on thread by travelerjim on the Sawatdee board I went to a new nails shop near Tuckom and got a pedicure. Had never done this before as I thought it was a woman’s thing. Was very happy I did. The girl did a great job and my feet really needed it. Nails Design is the name (I think), right across from the Grand Day Night Hotel. I also always get a haircut at Jaeb barbershop on the street just outside Tuckom area as you walk towards the soi to Yensabai condos . They do a great job there for 100 baht and many cute guys go there for haircuts.

So those are my highlights and hope it’s useful to some as I’ve often gotten useful info from other’s reports on this message board.

Happy Travels!
Gaybutton

Re: Mid-Feb Trip Mini-Report

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you for posting your report. I know many will find your information useful. I'm glad you had a good time. Come again soon.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

nuconnoisseur

Great report.

I love an optimist - always seeing the half full glass of water and making the best of it.

One point I got from your Report is the fact that "yes" things have slowed down since the hay bday in PTY but there's still a lot of fun venues, boys galore, and something for everyone if they just open their eyes.

Thanks.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:always seeing the half full glass of water and making the best of it.
"Some people say the glass is half full. Some people say the glass is half empty. You know what I say? I say the glass is too big."
- George Carlin
riverdee50

Post by riverdee50 »

salt and pepper heard the name before cant remember where it is guys....help
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

Thank you for the great report. Very much appreciated. If you are willing to share I would be interested in hearing more about the hotel where you stayed.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

riverdee50 wrote:salt and pepper heard the name before cant remember where it is guys....help
Are you familiar with Pattaya? Salt and Pepper is very close to Bordeaux Restaurant which you can google for location. Salt and Pepper is on Soi next to Tuk Com. Facing Tuk Com, follow the soi on the right and keep walking until you come to Salt and Pepper on the left side.
riverdee50

Post by riverdee50 »

Thank you. I know where I am now
SP55

Post by SP55 »

You are mistaken about Vassa bar since it has been closed a year or so. You probably refer to Kawaii boys agogo.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Thanks for quoting the master George Carlin in my thread Gaybutton. I’m a big fan.

Yes, windwalker got it right. Salt and Pepper, near Tuckom, is a great restaurant. Been there for years and always consistently good.

Btw, I left a couple of places off. Elephant bar was great for bargain happy hour drinks served by two cute and friendly waiters.

Jomtien Night Market is worth a short songthaew ride for a variety of freshly cooked food and cheap, cold draft Chang beers. Pirate Bay, on the beach next to the old Bondi building does a great burger IMHO. They also have a gorgeous new waiter (IMHO) who seems to work later in the day.
SP55 wrote:You are mistaken about Vassa bar since it has been closed a year or so. You probably refer to Kawaii boys agogo.
Yes, that’s it thanks. My eyes were on the stage not the sign LOL. As I noted, I’m not that familiar with BT anymore.

Asia Traveler wrote:If you are willing to share I would be interested in hearing more about the hotel where you stayed.
No hotels. First few nights were at a guesthouse in Jomtien Plaza called Siam House run by a friendly couple. Then I moved to a condo I booked on booking.com. Was supposed to stay at Jomtien Condotel but they moved me to another building close to Jomtien Complex.

Dodger wrote:One point I got from your Report is the fact that "yes" things have slowed down since the hay bday in PTY but there's still a lot of fun venues, boys galore, and something for everyone if they just open their eyes.
Spot on Dodger. From the angle I sat at the bar in Eden looking out on the soi it looked very full and almost like the old days in that condensed area of the soi. I looked so good I took a picture of Kone with the soi in the background.