MJ's Smokehouse - apparently out of business

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
Gaybutton

MJ's Smokehouse - apparently out of business

Post by Gaybutton »

I wanted to place an order with MJ's Smokehouse, but their web site is gone, sending an Email gets rejected, and when I tried their telephone number I got a recording, "The number you have dialed does not exist."

I have no idea what happened or why they disappeared.

Big-C Extra is carrying corned beef rounds, but when I tried one it came out virtually flavorless.

Does anyone know where to get corned beef and/or pastrami now?
Undaunted

Re: MJ's Smokehouse - apparently out of business

Post by Undaunted »

Sorry to hear this, Scott was really a nice guy but he had his hands full caring for his dad who had Alzheimer’s, as for corned beef and pastrami I think you are shit out of luck!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:as for corned beef and pastrami I think you are shit out of luck!
For corned beef that may not necessarily be true. There are recipes online for making and brining corned beef at home. I've never tried it before, but if all else fails, that's what I'll do and pray it comes out good.

For pastrami you're probably right that I would be SOL. I don't have a smoker and I'm not planning to buy one.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Gaybutton wrote:
Undaunted wrote:as for corned beef and pastrami I think you are shit out of luck!
For pastrami you're probably right that I would be SOL. I don't have a smoker and I'm not planning to buy one.
You could always try this!

https://thaiartisanfoods.com/blog/recip ... -pastrami/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:You could always try this!
Thank you very much.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Never mind smokehouses & corner beef, what Pattaya could do with is a few more vegetarian restaurants.

It currently has one, last time I went there they were turning away everyone without a reservation as they were full. These smaller Isan cities each have several of them.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:Pattaya could do with is a few more vegetarian restaurants.
A Google search for "vegetarian restaurants Pattaya" yields several restaurants that serve vegetarian items, but if you're looking for strictly vegetarian restaurants in Pattaya, there are three that I know of. Probably the most convenient for people staying in the Boystown-Sunee Plaza area is the Five Star J restaurant, on Pattaya Tai, just at the junction of Pattaya Tai and Third Road.

The other two are both called "Flying Vegetable." One is on Pattaya Klang, a few blocks before you get as far as Big-C Extra and another one on Pattaya Nua.

Of course, virtually all the Thai restaurants serve vegetarian selections.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Flying Vegetable photos on google maps show fish and other non-vegetarian stuff in the dishes.

The Five Star J veggie restaurant is the one where demand is so high, they were sending people away if they hadn't reserved a table. Smaller places like Udon Thani and Ubon Rachathani seem to sustain several veggie restaurants.

Some of the struggling restaurants might do well to look at the success of Five Star J and put some proper vegetarian options in the menu. Offer something with more substance than stir fried veg, and they might just get a few more customers.