Annual Flu shot

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: Annual Flu shot

Post by windwalker »

2lz2p wrote:My last flu shot, courtesy of the US Air Force was in November 1965 -- Not a good experience
We have come a long way since 1965, 2lz2p! I didn't even feel the flu shot I recently had. :P

But 80,000 deaths were reported in 2018 likely because the flu shots were not so effective.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/27/17910318/ ... break-shot
Jun

Post by Jun »

The "Spanish" flu epidemic about 100 years ago killed more people than the first world war if I am not mistaken (& the numbers are not my main purpose for raising this).

Anyhow, apparently the death rate among younger people was much higher for that.
One of the better theories is that older generations had previous exposure to similar kind of viruses, so were more able to fight it off.

I haven't looked into the science much, however I do wonder if taking the flu shot every single year means you might have more resistance to multiple types of virus when a very severe type of virus pops up again.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

rocket wrote:I received the shingrix vaccine a few weeks ago
Where did you get it and how much does it cost?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:Where did you get it and how much does it cost?
Just for info, I had the old single shot shingles vaccination at BNH in Bangkok two years ago. It cost around Bt. 8,000 including the physician evaluation. I was told that version was especially effective and would last for 10 years. I know that rocket has started on the new 2-shot vaccine.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

rocket wrote: Btw, I received the shingrix vaccine a few weeks ago and it was very painful. My arm was sore for a few days and I had flu like symptoms. But I’m glad to have gotten it but not looking forward to the second shot in March.
It must be that these "shots" affect people in different ways. I had the Shingrix vaccine and didn't notice any symptoms. So maybe the second shot in March will be better.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Shingles vaccine is around $AU220 in Australia. My friend had shingles and recommended the vaccination whatever the cost. Still not 100% prevention but i decided to have the vaccination in Australia.
Jun

Post by Jun »

aussie wrote:Shingles vaccine is around $AU220 in Australia.
Which brand of shingles vaccine is this ? The Shingrix one looks good.
gera

Post by gera »

fountainhall wrote:
Gaybutton wrote:Where did you get it and how much does it cost?
Just for info, I had the old single shot shingles vaccination at BNH in Bangkok two years ago. It cost around Bt. 8,000 including the physician evaluation. I was told that version was especially effective and would last for 10 years. I know that rocket has started on the new 2-shot vaccine.
This is actually not correct. The new vaccine is much more efficient
https://www.pharmacistanswers.com/artic ... difference
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

gera wrote:This is actually not correct. The new vaccine is much more efficient
I don't doubt that at all. I merely gave the price I had paid for the old vaccine since price was being discussed. I added what I was told by the doctor. Next time I see her i will ask if she has changed her mind!!
aussie

Post by aussie »

Jun wrote:
aussie wrote:Shingles vaccine is around $AU220 in Australia.
Which brand of shingles vaccine is this ? The Shingrix one looks good.
Zostavax in February 2017. I did not research, had the vaccine the doctor suggested.