retirement tips

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: retirement tips

Post by Jun »

Some of my UK banks have a facility on the website for me to tell them when I'm going on holiday.

I've not had a problem on holiday, although the stupid idiots have blocked transfers to the same investment account I had at broker 3 times in 5 years, despite it being the destination for many other successful transfers in the same period.
Another credit card company phoned be because I had made 2 "unusual" tranactions. These were insuring my car, 12 months after the last time I did it and topping up my mobile phone account (the same phone they phoned me on). Their algorithm needs more work.

Stupidity is not limited to banks. Google can follow me and my phone everywhere I go during a month. This still doesn't stop them temporarily blocking access to may e-mail account and sending stupid alerts because the same phone is logging in from an unexpected location. The same location they have monitored me travelling to.

Getting back on topic, the nearest I can get to a retirement tip.
Review your credit card needs a little while in advance of quitting your job. Then when it comes to the application form & the question about expecting your income to fall in the next 12 months, you can say no & the credit limit is likely to be more favourable, as it is based on your salary Or that's how it looks in the UK.

Now, I don't ever borrow on credit cards, however if there is ever a proper emergency, some headroom is nice. I like back up plans to add robustness.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Jun wrote:Stupidity is not limited to banks. Google can follow me and my phone everywhere I go during a month. This still doesn't stop them temporarily blocking access to may e-mail account and sending stupid alerts because the same phone is logging in from an unexpected location. The same location they have monitored me travelling to.
This stuff with email accounts drives me nuts! For years I have been in Hong Kong and Taipei each at least 4 times a year - almost always staying at the same hotels. Yet each bloody time Outlook blocks access to my account "in the interests of security"! If they were new locations for me, I might understand. Yet each time I then have to go through a stupid and quite lengthy procedure to prove that I am who I am! I have tried every which way to avoid this pain in the neck to no avail. It never happens with yahoo!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:each bloody time Outlook blocks access to my account
While I realize it would be a pain to do, why not switch to an account that doesn't block you? Once you've made the switch and informed whoever you need to inform, no more getting blocked.

If it were me, the question I would be asking myself would be which one would, in the end (pun intended), would be the lesser pain-in-the-ass.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:why not switch to an account that doesn't block you? Once you've made the switch and informed whoever you need to inform, no more getting blocked.
You are absolutely correct. Apart from laziness, what has stopped me up to now is the quite large archive of previous mails, many of them work related. So occasionally I need to refer to some correspondence in that archive.