Yet Another Immigration Question

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Yet Another Immigration Question

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:He was told that after January 1 Immigration will no longer accept the income verification letter.
If that turns out to be correct, it would make perfect sense for immigration to stop accepting the letter as of January if that applies only to UK citizens since their embassy will stop issuing the letter in December. I doubt immigration would want to accept an income letter in February or March if it was issued in December.

I would also like to know why most of the information we're getting is coming from every source except immigration. It would be nice if immigration would be kind enough to publicize what they are going to do.

However, no matter whether that applies to all nationalities or only to UK citizens, we still need to find out what immigration will accept in lieu of the letter.

I wonder why your friend asked a farang who works there rather than one of the immigration officers who deals with the retirement visas. To me, without that kind of input, we're still dealing only with speculation and rumor.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

These people with their constant fears and rumors of change in immigration polices are not helpful at all quite the opposite.....The original claim was that of the British embassy who took it upon themselves, what the fuck does it have to do with what and what not the U.S. embassy does :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:what the fuck does it have to do with what and what not the U.S. embassy does :!:
My advice is not to worry until there is something to worry about. For Americans, so far there is nothing to worry about.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

From the interview with the lady at the British Consulate, it seemed clear that it was Immigration which raised with her the issue of proof. It was not the other way around. Although not American and using the Bt. 800,000 route, it seems to me at least plausible that Immigration has not singled out the Brits for this new procedure. That would hardly make sense (although in Thailand sense is not always a factor in official decision making!) if one country is targeted, there has to be at least a possibility that the net will be widened to include others. Although there may be nothing to worry about, surely it might perhaps be wise for those using the pension affidavit letter to start thinking what they MIGHT do IF the procedure were eventually to spread. Better than being totally unprepared.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Unless you are a Brit I wouldn't worry!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Has anyone noticed that not one word about any of this, at least nothing I have been able to find, including nothing about the UK embassy's move, has appeared in any of the Thai mainstream media?

I would think if immigration is planning any major changes, we'd at least see something about it in the media. And other than the post from the American Embassy Liaison person, I haven't seen anything on the USA embassy web site either.

It would be, to put it mildly, helpful if we can get definitive, reliable answers as to what is going on, what we can expect, and if any embassies, even if it's only the UK embassy, stops issuing proof-of-income statements, what immigration will accept as proof in lieu of the embassy statement.

It's the lack of reliable information, or even any information, from the proper sources that is causing anxiety.
DragonMaster

Post by DragonMaster »

With all the speculation and chicken little responses flying around, here’s something on my “I don’t get it list”.
Why don’t one of you ask to speak with Pol. Col. Songprode Siri sukha the next time you go to immigration and just ask him. He is the Chief of Immigration for Chonburi and won’t bite you. While you’re at it, make a list of questions and concerns and give it to him for clarification, i.e. the questions about recent activity for renewals of permission to stay. GB next time you go for your 90 day report, you could do this and provide the official answers to your members.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

DragonMaster wrote:GB next time you go for your 90 day report, you could do this and provide the official answers to your members.
Yes, I could. Meanwhile, what's wrong with you doing that?

My next 90-day report isn't due until December. I think people are in need of answers before that. Anyone going to immigration for any reason could get the same answers I could get.
DragonMaster

Post by DragonMaster »

Gaybutton wrote:Yes, I could. Meanwhile, what's wrong with you doing that?
I suppose I could, but I’m not going back until the end of November, besides, I don’t have the all powerful Iron Fist. :lol:

Whoever decides to take up the challenge should really ask the boss, and not one of the farang volunteers at the front or you’re still likely to get a questionable answer.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

DragonMaster wrote: I suppose I could, but I’m not going back until the end of November, besides, I don’t have the all powerful Iron Fist.:lol
You didn't need an "iron fist" to take the Krazy Dragon to its knees. Lol