John McCain dies at 81

Gaybutton

John McCain dies at 81

Post by Gaybutton »

John McCain was one of the few Republicans I admired. He's one of the few who stood up to Trump and stood for what he thought was right. His biggest mistake was choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate. If it wasn't for that he might very well have been elected President. And he might have made a good one. He certainly would have been a hell of a lot better than the one we have now.

John McCain, military hero and Senate "maverick," has died at 81

John McCain, the military hero who had a long career as a "maverick" Republican senator, has died, his Senate office confirmed on Saturday. He was 81.

In a statement, his Senate office said he died at 4:28 p.m. on August 25, surrounded by his wife Cindy and his family.

McCain was diagnosed with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer, in July 2017. On August 24, McCain's family said that "with his usual strength of will," he had chosen to discontinue treatment. Though McCain had "surpassed expectations for his survival, … the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict," the statement said.

In September, the Arizona senator told Lesley Stahl on "60 Minutes" that he didn't believe the diagnosis changed him, and while he sometimes felt moments of fear, he hoped a simple legacy would endure.

"As soon as I get that [fear], I say, 'Wait a minute. Wait a minute. You've been around a long time, old man. You've had a great life. You've had a great experience,'" McCain said. "I want – I want – when I leave, that the ceremony is at the Naval Academy. And we just have a couple of people that stand up and say, 'This guy, he served his country.'"

Full Story: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-mccai ... e-updates/
fountainhall

Re: John McCain dies at 81

Post by fountainhall »

A true hero, a compassionate man who showed great courage. He embodied all the fine qualities that Trump lacks.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Would like to see if Trump says anything about McCain's death.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

GB...you took the words right out of my mouth.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

CNN: Meghan McCain and President Trump release statements on the passing of John McCain, Arizona senator and former Republican presidential candidate.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... nr-vpx.cnn
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Would like to see if Trump says anything about McCain's death.
He did. It was his usual "thoughts and prayers" bullshit. If he thought about it at all, I doubt it lasted more than a few seconds. And Trump praying? Right . . .
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've always respected Senator John McCain even when I disagreed with his political position. Sadly, the Republican Party has lost one of its rare members who, on occasion, actually had a conscience and voted using it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote:I've always respected Senator John McCain even when I disagreed with his political position.
Unlike the current occupant of the White House, to paraphrase the old Smith-Barney commercial, John McCain gained respect the old fashioned way - He earned it.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Presidents Bush and Obama will give eulogies at the funeral. VP Pence will attend, President Bones Spurs has not been invited.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/ ... ssion=true
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Vietnam remembers Senator John McCain

ASEAN+ August 27, 2018

By Viet Nam News
Asia News Network
Hanoi

Colonel Tran Trong Duyet - prison commander - pays tribute to John McCain

Senator John McCain, who helped lay the foundation for a cooperative Vietnam - US relationship, passed away on Saturday (US time) at the age of 81.

Tributes to the politicians were paid yesterday including one from the man who was in charge of the prison where he was held for five years.

McCain served in the Vietnam war, joining the Rolling Thunder air campaign in 1967, bombing targets in the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (northern Vietnam). His plane was shot down on October 26, 1967 and McCain was taken prisoner. He was returned to the US in an exchange of prisoners in 1973.

During his time he was held at Hoa Lo Prison, now a museum which McCain has visited many times.

The prison was being run at the time by Colonel Tran Trong Duyet.

Speaking to Vietnam News yesterday, he said: “I had a lot of time meeting him when he was kept in the prison.

“At that time I liked him personally for his toughness and strong stance. Later on, when he became a US Senator, he and Senator John Kerry greatly contributed to promote Vietnam-US relations so I was very fond of him.”

“When I learnt about his death early this morning, I felt very sad. I would like to send condolences to his family. I think it’s the same feeling for all Vietnamese people as he has greatly contributed to the development of Vietnam-US relations.”

Returning from Vietnam, McCain joined politics and was one of the first to campaign for normalisation of US-Vietnam relations through promoting humanitarian issues such as removing unexploded devices left by the war, searching for missing-in-action personnel, supporting people with disabilities caused by the war, and detoxifying areas polluted by dioxin.

In 1994, the US Senate approved a resolution sponsored by McCain and Kerry, calling to end the economic sanctions against Vietnam, paving the way for improving relations between the two countries a year later.

Following the normalisation of bilateral ties, McCain and Kerry visited Vietnam many times to address the issue of American missing-in-action soldiers (POW/MIA).

Senator McCain also supported the Vietnamese community in the US, serving as a bridge between them and the US authorities as well as the Vietnamese Government.

He has a very special position in the history of the Vietnam-US relationship, said Vietnamese Ambassador to the US Ha Kim Ngoc.

Ngoc added that he had opportunities to work with McCain as his interpreter during the US Senator’s working trips to Vietnam.

During those trips, Ngoc noted the Senator’s strategic vision, leadership and high political determination for the normalisation of Vietnam-US relations despite the major internal obstacles.

"It can be said that Senator McCain is a symbol of the Vietnam-US reconciliation process during which the two sides overcame their past as old enemies to normalise and develop bilateral relations.

“McCain enthusiastically supported and made untiring efforts for the Vietnam-US comprehensive partnership,” Ngoc said.

Along with Kerry and other senators like Patrick Leahy or Jim Webb, McCain was at the forefront of the normalisation and enhancement of Vietnam-US friendship and co-operation, he added.

At the most difficult time of bilateral relations when many still expressed suspicion or were against ties between the two nations, McCain, Kerry and other senators played a decisive role in the irreversible process of normalisation, Ngoc said.

“Even during his illness, McCain still paid attention to Vietnam-related issues such as bilateral cooperation, the East Sea issues and the catfish programme that affects poor farmers in the Mekong Delta region.

“With the support of both the Republican and Democratic Parties in the US Congress, our comprehensive partnership will continue thriving for the benefit of the two countries.”

At a meeting with the Senator in Washington DC on January 21, 2016, Vietnamese Ambassador to the US at the time, Pham Quang Vinh praised the Senator for his great contribution to the friendly and cooperative relations between the two countries.

In reply, McCain said he always attached importance to the US-Vietnam relations, and for him, Vietnam has an important position and role in the region.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30353031