Pattaya tests new type of home mosquito trap

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya tests new type of home mosquito trap

Post by Gaybutton »

With all the rain Pattaya has had this year so far, an unfortunate result is mosquitoes. Pattaya is trying to fight the mosquitoes in an effort to curb Dengue Fever, a disease you definitely don't want.

I don't know how serious the problem actually is. I've never had Dengue Fever and I know only one person, a farang, who got the disease. That was several years ago. He is fine now.

Nevertheless, whether the disease is a serious problem or not, nobody likes mosquito bites. I hope this works. If it becomes available for anyone who wants it, I plan to try it. I use a couple mosquito control devices and they are effective to a degree, but definitely not effective enough that I never get mosquito bites.

Have you ever noticed there is always just one mosquito in the room when you're trying to sleep, but you can never get him? How do they do that?

For details, see: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya ... ses-216658
RichLB

Re: Pattaya tests new type of home mosquito trap

Post by RichLB »

One method that seems to work is a couple sprigs of lemon grass in a room. Seems mosquitoes hate it and flee when they smell it. Anyway, it's worked for me.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote:I don't know how serious the problem actually is. I've never had Dengue Fever and I know only one person, a farang, who got the disease. That was several years ago. He is fine now.
If you didn't mean me GB, then you should know you can add one more to those you know that has had it.

It has been a few years since then and I had a moderate case. For most, it is an unpleasant and painful experience (they don't call it "break bone fever" for no reason), but runs its course over a few days - mine started with headache and fever, the rash and pain came about 3 days after the fever started. As I understand it, it takes about 7 days from being bitten to the first symptoms. I spent a few days in the hospital, but I know others that had it and did not go to see the doctor. Except for the elderly and children, in most cases it is not life threatening, unless of course you get the hemorrhagic type which can be fatal from internal bleeding. In my case, it was reported to the City authorities as required. A few days after returning home, a notice in Thai and English was in my mail box saying the area had been sprayed.

If not aware of it - a word of caution - do not take aspirin or ibuprofen for the headache - take Tylenol instead. If you by chance have the hemorrhagic type, taking such blood thinners can make any bleeding worse.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:I know others that had it and did not go to see the doctor. Except for the elderly and children, in most cases it is not life threatening
If they did not go to see a doctor, how can they be so sure it was Dengue Fever?

As for the danger to the elderly, guess what - many of us are now officially "the elderly."
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Add me to your list.......Several year ago I thought I had the flu and only wanted to sleep, had no appitite....as I was getting worse I managed to get to the hosptal, the doctor sent a blood sample to be tested for the type of dengue I had he told me there was no cure, I was admitted stayed a few days....blood confirmed it was non hemoragic degue, all I was given was fluids, soft foods and I continued to rest.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: all I was given was fluids, soft foods and I continued to rest.
I'm sorry to have to add you to the list. I hope this gadget they've come up with will really work.

How long did it take for you to fully recover?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:How long did it take for you to fully recover?
Just about 10 days
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote:
2lz2p wrote:I know others that had it and did not go to see the doctor. Except for the elderly and children, in most cases it is not life threatening
If they did not go to see a doctor, how can they be so sure it was Dengue Fever?

As for the danger to the elderly, guess what - many of us are now officially "the elderly."
Mostly because they said they or someone close to them had the symptoms but did not go see a doctor - a couple of folks told me they did visit the doctor where it was confirmed, but decided against being hospitalized (not necessarily a good idea, but one they chose).

In my case,the Doctor did a blood test, which confirmed dengue fever, but not the strain - a sample had to be sent to Bangkok for analysis to determine the strain. In my case, some medication for the pain was forthcoming on the day I arrived - none needed after that; so I spent a few days in the hospital getting fluids, but felt fine.

As I recall, a while back there were news article regarding a famous Thai (musician, singer, actor ?) that had dengue and was hospitalized, but left against doctors' advice. Apparently he had the hemorrhagic variety and was, if I recall correctly, hospitalized again, but too late and he died.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:decided against being hospitalized (not necessarily a good idea, but one they chose)
Famous last words: "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

Next thing ya know:

My own feeling is once you reach the age at which Thai boys start calling you "papa", people think of you as old, people consider you to be among the elderly, you're retired and on a pension, you're eligible for a "senior citizen" discount - whatever - if something is wrong, go to see a doctor. If the doctor wants to hospitalize you, go to the hospital.

Why do people not do that? Does it make them feel macho? Is it to save money? A lot of good that will do at the funeral.

Obviously people will do what they want, but as for me - if something is wrong beyond a headache or indigestion, I'm in the doctor's office. And I don't wait around to see if it's going to get better on its own.
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

Every time I go to SE Asia I worry about insect bites. So far I've been pretty lucky. I was in southern Cambodia several years ago on a tour and the driver and guide came to pick me up to take me back to PP. Once in the car the driver started it up and it was like a big swarm of mosquitos were awakened. Apparently he had left the car windows open overnight and the bugs made it their home. Spent the whole ride swatting the bugs, certain that I was going to end up with a tropical disease. But I survived without any that I know of.

I was just reading about dengue. According to the Thai travel clinic 90%+ of cases are "mild". Some are asymptomatic altogether (probably more than anyone knows about since there are no symptoms in those people). But even a mild case doesn't sound like much fun.

These traps sound like a good idea. Of course eliminating their breeding places as much as possible is a good idea too.