What is the Future for the former Chiang Rai Governor?

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

What is the Future for the former Chiang Rai Governor?

Post by fountainhall »

I believe this issue deserves a separate thread as I suspect we have not heard the last of Narongsak Osotthanakorn. For a fortnight the world has now wtnessed the extraordinary level of team leadership he provided. He has often been addressed as the Governor of Chiang Rai Province. In fact he is now the former governor. As reported in the Thai media last week,
he has been moved to neighbouring Phayao. The transfer is not seen as a promotion as Chiang Rai is a bigger and more important province.
The transfer of governors is not unusual. This week 11 have been rotated. But speculation is now rife as to the reason for this particular shuffle. Khun Narongsak has clearly been a bit of a thorn in the side of the central government.
Mr Narongsak has been Chiang Rai governor since April 2017 and he withheld approval for several projects, including the 32-million-baht construction of a Phaya Mung Rai statue on an island in the Kok River, during his tenure. The governor said in March that the budget funds for the statue's construction proposed by Chiang Mai Municipality, and other schemes suspected of corruption, should instead be spent on other, necessary, infrastructure improvements. The proposed statue encroached on the river and had legal problems, he said.

"I will never approve any projects which pose legal questions. I would be better transferred to another place where there are fewer headaches," he said at the time . . .

"I admire him and his work. It was a routine transfer at the Interior Ministry and the decision had been made earlier," the prime minister said. "He has no problems in doing his duty."

Srisuwan Janya, secretary-general of the Thai Constitution Protection Association, on Wednesday urged the prime minister to reconsider the transfer of Mr Narongsak due to his performance in the operation. His strong opposition to some projects in the province with suspicious spending was the reason behind the transfer, according to the political activist.
I wonder what the chances now are of Khun Narongsak being reinstated as Governor of Chiang Rai Province.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politi ... -to-phayao
Josan

Re: What is the Future for the former Chiang Rai Governor?

Post by Josan »

Knowing the Thai's respect for this man before the cave rescue he should be made PM!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

At least he should consider running for Governor of Bangkok. Given the way he led the rescue effort so superbly, perhaps there would then be a chance of the city's recurring problems being solved.
Josan

Post by Josan »

Has Narongsak Osotthanakorn's future been dented because he was the governor in what is considered a Red area of the country?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I very much doubt it. His problem seems primarily that he was sometimes, as I stated earlier, a thorn in the side of the powers that be, pressing for more facilities for his Province and objecting when other Provinces like Chiang Mai spent cash which he considered needlessly.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:objecting when other Provinces like Chiang Mai spent cash which he considered needlessly.
That reminds me of Senator William Proxmire's "Golden Fleece Awards."

Proxmire was one of the few politicians I ever truly admired.
Josan

Post by Josan »

The recent You Tube posted by Captain Swing certainly should be another feather in Narongsak Osotthanakorn's cap!