Planning a Longer Holiday

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Planning a Longer Holiday

Post by Jun »

Does anyone have any advice for factors to consider when planning a longer holiday, of several months ?

It's something I expect to do within a few months & hopefully many times thereafter. This trip will include Thailand & at least one other SE Asian country.

Trip Duration.
Insurance
I note the insurance choices seem broader if <90 days. In fact, the insurance comparison sites I uses have choices of 30, 45 & 90 day policies. So a trip of <90 days gets under that threshold. Beyond 90 days, a little more research is needed.

Visas.
Apparently I can get a multiple entry Thai tourist visa for £125, valid for 60 days & then extend it by 30 days for a fee. Since I'm not actually planning to spend the entire trip in Thailand, it may be easier to forget the visa & just spend the £125 on air fares, with the advantage that I don't need 2 trips to the Thai Embassy [my passport is NOT going in the post].

What else am I missing ?
gerefan

Re: Planning a Longer Holiday

Post by gerefan »

I guess you are English as you quote £.
I get a 90 day visa from the UK Embassy in London before I leave here. It costs £50 plus £10 postage back the me. It is a single entry visa. I assume the £125 one you are talking about is a multiple entry one. I don't think you need this if you intend going somewhere each 30 days.

You don't need to go to the Embassy in Thailand to extend a Visa. It can be done in Pattaya at the Immigration Office in Jomtien, but you need to check how much longer they will give you. I believe it is only 14 days on a Single Entry Visa. Its a pain in the ass too.

This year I stayed 4 months as an experiment (usually I only stay 3) so did a border run to Cambodia to get the extra 30 days. A real pain in the ass. If you fly somewhere instead you will find yourself probably having to stay overnight (flight timings) so the costs can quickly add up (unless you are going there anyway). Think of taxis at both ends, Hotels, food away, drinks etc. Following my 4 month stay I decided that 3 months is actually more than enough.

You may want to stay in a Condo. Not a problem but pick the location carefully. 3 months in a hotel is a bit much!

I know some people wont hire (or even get on) a motor bike but I find one really useful. Legally you need a UK Motor Bike licence and an International Driving Permit. Most people don't seem to bother, but if you get stopped in South Pattaya (highly likely) you will be fined about 400 Baht. The owners don't check.

I cannot advise on Insurance.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Jun wrote:What else am I missing ?
The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) is valid for entry into Thailand as many times as you want during its validity period - 6 months from date of issue (the date is shown on the Visa as "Enter by" date). Upon entry, you receive a 60 day permission to stay which can be extended for another 30 days at Thai Immigration for a fee of 1,900 baht if you do not wish to leave during the 60 days. At the end of your permitted stay (either the 60 days or extended 90 days) you must leave Thailand. When you re-enter, you will again receive a 60 day permission to stay which can also be extended another 30 days. If you should leave and re-enter Thailand a day or so before the "Enter by" date, you would again receive the 60 day permission to stay (+30 days if wanted) - thus, staying in Thailand for up to 90 days past the expiration date of the Visa.

The METV offers the most flexibility in that you can enter and leave Thailand whenever you want, you don't have to stay the full 60/90 days that you are permitted upon entry. For example, if you arrived and decided to travel to another country after 45 days, visit the other country(ies) for a few days/weeks, and then return to Thailand, you will get another permission to stay of 60 days that can be extended another 30 days - so long as you enter Thailand before the "Enter by" date shown on the Visa (after that date, the Visa is no longer valid for entry).

That said, I would suggest either the METV or a regular Tourist Visa (TV), which is less expensive and far less paperwork to obtain. As with the METV, you get a 60 day permission to stay that can be extended a further 30 days at Thai Immigration. When you visit another country, you could apply at the Thai Embassy/Consulate for another single entry TV - again getting the 60/90 day permission to stay when entering Thailand. If one of your trips coincides with returning to Thailand for less than 30 days, then you don't have to bother with another TV - as you can get 30 day permission to stay without a Visa (Visa Exempt) - if passport holder from one of the 40+ countries including UK, USA, Europe. This 30 days can also be extended for another 30 days for a fee of 1,900 baht at Thai Immigration.

The caution is if you should plan to use Visa Exempt entries -- if you have 2 or more almost back to back, expect closer scrutiny by Immigration upon entry, requirement to show money, evidence of lodging reservation, and onward travel tickets - in some cases, especially at Don Muang Airport in Bangkok, entry has been denied as they think you are using the Visa Exempt entries to work (this also goes for getting several TVs back to back or using TV, Visa Exempt, TV, etc.).
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I cannot add to the Visa suggestions as I am on a retirement visa. Before that I was always in and out of the country for not more than 2 weeks on the 30-day visa free entry.

On insurance, perhaps you should consider countries where you might consider visiting and check if there are any specific health recommendations. In general I expect you'll be advised to get a tetanus/diptheria shot before departure, as well as Hepatitis A and B and typhoid vaccinations. Also consider a polio booster. But please check with your doctor first.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Choose the single-entry tourist visa (SETV) or the multiple-entry tourist visa (METV), whichever suits your needs. You must have one or the other to begin your trip. If you attempt to depart your home country without a valid visa and don't have a ticket for an onward flight within 30 days then your airline will most likely deny boarding.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thanks for the advice everyone.
fountainhall wrote:On insurance, perhaps you should consider countries where you might consider visiting and check if there are any specific health recommendations. In general I expect you'll be advised to get a tetanus/diptheria shot before departure, as well as Hepatitis A and B and typhoid vaccinations. Also consider a polio booster. But please check with your doctor first.
I generally check recommendations on UK government websites & quite often on those of an other government, or even the WHO.
In one case, I had anti-malaria tablets packed for a trip to Burma. However, after not-encountering any mosquitos in Mandalay, I did a little research & found out both Mandalay & Bagan are free from malaria. The tablets are still in the back of my fridge.

Also, I've had some vaccinations in the Thai travel clinic at the following location. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/vacc ... 13.7657091

Obviously it's necessary to consider how long these need to become effective, however in a lot of cases it's fine & is cheaper than in the UK for anything not available free on the NHS. Which is most of the travel vaccinations.