Finally New BTS Trains for Sukhumvit Line - but ...!

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Finally New BTS Trains for Sukhumvit Line - but ...!

Post by fountainhall »

This week 22 new Siemens manufactured trains were handed over to the BTS authorities. These will come into operation in December. Will they finally reduce congestion on the Sukhumvit Line where the BTS has consistently refused to add a fifth carriage to their trains? Well, unlikely! It just so happens their introduction will coincide with the opening of the eight new stations on the southern extension of that Line. So my guess is congestion in the carriages, especially during the extended rush hours, is likely to remain as bad as ever!

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/brand- ... mvit-line/
Bangkokian

Re: Finally New BTS Trains for Sukhumvit Line - but ...!

Post by Bangkokian »

Now, for two days, it has been chaos on the Skytrain system. Trains arriving every ten to fifteen minutes and then waiting up to ten minutes at each station.
It took me more than one and a half hours to get from Sala Daeng to Phrom Phong yesterday evening.
The official explanation is that they are installing a new signalling system.

According to the Bangkok Post, delays can continue until Friday so if you are planning an important date --- leave extra time so as not to be late or consult the BTS Twitter feed.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Siam station at rush hour must be downright dangerous!

I totally fail to understand why, knowing the chaos that will result from this work, there were not very large notices at all BTS stations last week to inform the travelling public. I was on the BTS about six times and saw nothing.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

fountainhall wrote:Siam station at rush hour must be downright dangerous!
Yes, on Monday, it was so dangerous that stations were closing their entrances leaving people queuing in the street.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

It is now known that the reason for the massive delays was an interruption to the signalling system on the Line. These run on the 2,400 MHz spectrum and were allegedly disturbed by operators using the 2,300 MHz spectrum. The two companies using this are state-owned TOT and mobile operator DTAC! Naturally these companies have denied their use of 2,300 MHz has anyhing to do with the Sytrain problems! TOT senior executive vice-president Rangsan Channaruekul even suggested mobile phones could be part of the problem!!

How true this is, I have no idea, but from tomorrow the Skytrain system will change to the 2,500 MHz spectrum. Services should be back to normal tomorrow. Those who used the Skytrain during the days when major delays occurred will have the cost of their journeys refunded.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... or-weekend