Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

No Problem For Nazi Symbols in Thailand

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: No Problem For Nazi Symbols in Thailand

Post by Gaybutton »

This shop is in Pattaya, according to the article, but I've never seen it. The article doesn't say where it is.

It's bad enough that someone is selling Nazi symbols, but I'm wondering where the vendor got it from and, better still, who's buying any of it. Some of Trump's "fine people" perhaps?
Montree

Post by Montree »

It's a small stall that moves about. At the moment he's in front of the Avenue Mall most nights. Sometimes he's nearer the Royal Garden Plaza. There's Nazi stuff as well as Soviet Era memorabilia and other junk. There's a small bronze head of Hitler but I didn't see any banners at the moment. In the past he's had Putin banners that match the Nazi ones as well as Lenin and Stalin.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The swastika is an ancient sacred symbol venerated in Buddhism. It would be rather hard to ban it in a country like Thailand. Not sure, though, why its non religious use on a Nazi flag still renders it acceptable.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Years ago I was in a Sunee beer bar and a boy was at the next table and he was wearing a wristband with a swastika on it not the reverse buddist one but the nazi one I asked him if he spoke English he said a little then asked him to join me and bought him a drink. I began to tell him some of the history behind the nazis he listened as best he could and it became obvious to me this was for him merely a fashion item it also became obvious to me that in the process of his education he new nothing of the second world war not even Japans involvement during the war in Thailand. I asked him if he completed the Thai version of high school he replied yes.....Draw your own conclusions!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I am not in the least surprised at that young man's lack of knowledge of history and am sure it is quite common in Thailand - sadly.

As for the swastika, it is actually used facing both left and right in Buddhism and other religions, although straight rather than at an angle. There is a very prominent right facing one on a tall building in Taipei and I saw this in China

The right facing version was also adopted by the US 45th Infantry Division since it was used by many native American tribes, but then dropped when the Nazi bandwagon started in earnest.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I think it is fairly common knowledge, at least to educated westerners, that the hooked cross symbol existed long before anyone ever heard of Nazis. However, the ones being sold in Pattaya clearly show images of Hitler and Nazi symbolism.

Don't underestimate Thais. They know who Hitler was. Many may not know very much about Hitler and the Nazis, any more than many westerners know about Hirohito and Tojo, but they do know who he was.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:Many may not know very much about Hitler and the Nazis, any more than many westerners know about Hirohito and Tojo, but they do know who he was.
Even though I was at school in the UK in the late 50s and 60s and so much closer to the events, I doubt if at that time we were taught about the war in the Pacific other than the Japanese were the bad guys. Certainly I think I would have drawn a blank if you had asked me who Tojo and Hirohito were! Our lessons in history were almost exclusively Euro-centric with a few vague details about North America. When it came to geography, I doubt if more than one lesson was devoted to the whole of Asia. Had you asked me to pinpoint Hong Kong on an outline map of Asia when it was first suggested I apply for a job there in early 1979, I would initially have been clueless!
Jun

Post by Jun »

The use of the symbol in Asia predates Hitler and there is no reason at all why people on the other side of the world should stop using the symbol because of European events over 70 years ago.

The flags are, of course, a different matter, with obvious Nazi connections. Not ideal, but do remember free speech has upsides & downsides.
I also believe it's perfectly legal to buy this sort of gear in many European countries. There just isn't a great demand for it.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote:The use of the symbol in Asia predates Hitler and there is no reason at all why people on the other side of the world should stop using the symbol because of European events over 70 years ago.
No one has advocated this :?: