Hong Kong Celebrity Chef relocated to Pattaya

Restaurant Favorites Throughout Thailand
-And favorite recipes and recipe requests-
fountainhall

Hong Kong Celebrity Chef relocated to Pattaya

Post by fountainhall »

Neither a review nor a recipe; merely a news item.

A new addition to the Pattaya dining scene is now open, "Harlan Goldstein’s Comfort" - although it is likely to be at a price. One of Hong Kong's foremost chefs over the last 26 years, Harlan Goldstein, has moved to just outside Pattaya by Mabphrachan Lake. On leaving Hong Kong, he was given a golden handshake of US$3 million, part of which he has used to set up the new restaurant.
The menu features 34 dishes – the best of the recipes Goldstein has picked up in 38 years of world travel, he says. From Italy there’s pappardelle with mushrooms, truffles and slow-cooked egg; from Mexico, pulled pork tacos; from America, slow-cooked Sriracha glazed pork ribs; and from Thailand, crispy soft shell crab with yellow curry and roti. He adds there will also be daily specials.

“The dining scene in Pattaya is like Hong Kong 30 years ago,” he says . . . Goldstein also says that he is happy to be back in the kitchen, unlike in Hong Kong where he was managing several restaurants at once.
http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/food-drin ... urant-thai
Gaybutton

Re: Hong Kong Celebrity Chef relocated to Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

Sounds good to me. The lake is in my area. The article says he planned to open March 28, so he ought to be open by now. When I get a chance I'll go out there and see if I can find it. I'll also take a look at the menu. If not too expensive, I'll give it a try.

I'll try to remember to get the GPS coordinates and post them once I find it.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Apologies! I have just looked for a map. It appears the location of his home is near the lake but the restaurant itself is close to the Royal Cliff on Kasetsin Soi 2. The SCMP article does not mention this. It also gets the name wrong. It should be "Comfort by Harlan". Here's the website which includes a map and menus.

https://www.comfortbyharlan.com
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:the restaurant itself is close to the Royal Cliff
Thanks for clarifying that before I went out to the lake on a wild restaurant chase. I looked at the menu on his web site. The prices seem reasonable enough, but the menu choices don't particularly impress me. I'm sure I'll get around to trying it, but I'm in no hurry.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

We tried Comfort last night. We both had the cheese burger with white truffle mayonnaise. 230 gm and delicious. Will go back again for sure.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

lvdkeyes wrote:We tried Comfort last night. We both had the cheese burger with white truffle mayonnaise. 230 gm and delicious. Will go back again for sure.
I agree as three of us ate there last night and we all had the cheese burgers. I thoroughly enjoyed my burger and fries but the others didn't share my enthusiasm, not so much for the food but for the atmosphere. It was Saturday night and we made a booking. The staff is super friendly, asks your name, shakes your hand, speaks good English but our problem was the excessive noise and loud music. Everyone at our table was shouting to be heard. It is an open kitchen which only adds to the noise. The place is a little funky, graffiti in the toilets with pens furnished to bring out the poet in all of us.
Chris from Beertopia was there and he sadly announced there would be no more hotdogs as his Bangkok supplier has died.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Here's an article and YouTube video about Comfort by Harlan. Didn't realize he was that crude. Might explain the noise issue.

https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/06/04 ... n-pattaya/

lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I tried it twice. The food is good, but the noise level is so loud I couldn't wait to get out. I will NEVER go back.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I see that he is a "self proclaimed" celebrity chef....of a cheeseburger, Lol.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:I see that he is a "self proclaimed" celebrity chef....of a cheeseburger, Lol.
Why does that somehow remind me of Niddy's Nook?