Best Summer Month to go to Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
stkyricesf

Best Summer Month to go to Pattaya

Post by stkyricesf »

In my 20 years, I have always gone to Pattaya in the months of November through April. The supposed cooler months. However, I am now thinking of trying the months of June through October. I understand this is the monsoon season, however, does anyone recommend a particular month during this time period to go? I just feel the need to travel.
Captain Swing

Re: Best Summer Month to go to Pattaya

Post by Captain Swing »

Like most, I prefer to go in Nov. or Dec., but I have been to Pattaya in both July and August (two separate trips). Neither was unbearable. Somewhat hotter, and probably a little rainier, but not much. Maybe I was lucky, but no real "monsoon" type rains--just a couple afternoon thunderstorms, which, of course, you might encounter in the winter too. From what I read, Sept. and Oct. can be considerably worse. I think you can have an enjoyable trip in either July or August.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

I live in Pattaya and June, July, and August are my favorite months. It's generally cooler than March through May, and there are a lot fewer tourists getting in the way. If it rains it's no big deal. The rare all-day rain is much more likely to happen at the end of rainy season in October.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

stkyricesf wrote:I understand this is the monsoon season
Many people have the wrong idea about what monsoon season is really all about. Before living here, so did I. I had always thought monsoon means you're going to get constant torrential rains that can last for days.

WRONG!

What happens is torrential rains do occur - on occasion. They hardly ever last longer than 45 minutes to an hour and hardly ever more than once in the day. It usually does not rain later a second time.

Unless you're in an area prone to flooding, an hour later you wouldn't even know it had rained. Other than that, the rains are no different from any place else. In summer "regular" rains are more frequent than in winter, but rarely are going to ruin your day.

In other words, you should have no qualms about buying your tickets, packing your bags, and c'mon. The boys are waiting.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

There are slightly more Europeans in August..... vacation time back home. October is the wettest month of the year but that too can vary slightly from year to year. My friends often come in July.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

I’m just trying to work out my summer trip now. I could do either July or August.

July has a glut of holidays at the end of the month (27th – 30th). Is this a time when bars are closed for days and you can’t buy booze for days on end?

August has the Queen’s BD and Mother’s Day (12th/13th). Is this a time when the Thai’s go back home and things are deserted? I was once in Thailand in August at that time and found that transportation was very difficult to book (i.e. trains, buses, etc.)

Any observations on these would be appreciated.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ก้นconnoisseur wrote:Is this a time when bars are closed for days and you can’t buy booze for days on end?
The bars will probably be closed only July 27 and 28. And often a few bars open anyway. It all depends on the whim of the powers-that-be, and you never know what orders they might impose on the bars at the last minute.

You can always buy liquor in advance of those holidays and make advance arrangements for a "visitor" or use the gay hook-up apps.

For bar closure dates, see: http://www.boomboomme.com/resources/holidays/thailand/
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

ก้นconnoisseur wrote: Is this a time when bars are closed for days and you can’t buy booze for days on end?
'Bank holidays' are usually only for one day but occasionally two can be adjacent.
Strictness has changed in the past 4 years.
Royal birthdays do not have prohibition.
Holy days are now strictly adhered to.
It seems that the methods of prohibition vary with the attitude of the local police. Pattaya usually seems to be more strict than Bangkok.
I can only speak for Bangkok and the Bang Rak district. On the 'no alcohol days' bars are allowed to open for soft drinks and food only.
On these days the prohibition starts at midnight on the previous day till midnight on the day itself. Some bars think it is not worth opening on these days. Better to check with the bar itself.
These alcohol restrictions apply equally to stores like 7-11s and even supermarkets (some 'corner shops' might be daring).
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:What happens is torrential rains do occur - on occasion. They hardly ever last longer than 45 minutes to an hour and hardly ever more than once in the day. It usually does not rain later a second time.
The only other point worth noting is that you can usually tell when it will start to rain heavily. I made the mistake of going out for an appointment yesterday expecting to get a cab on the main road. The wind had got up and dark clouds were moving in quite fast - both sure signs of rain. I only made it half way to the road before the heavens opened and the heaviest rain this year started pouring down on Bangkok. Despite a North Face waterproof knee-length jacket with a hood and waterproof shoes, I was sodden by the time I got a taxi. I also had an umbrella but they are not much use in that volume of rain. Within an hour the sun was shining again! Just be prepared for occasional heavy showers late at at night when you are bar hopping.