The Temptations in Back Pockets

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

The Temptations in Back Pockets

Post by fountainhall »

Walking along Sukhumvit yesterday, I found myself behind a group of Thais including this guy. Smallish and very slim, I guessed he was about 30. What I noticed more, though, were the wallet and phone sticking well out of the back pockets of his jeans. There's even a credit card also very obvious. I wonder how many times he might have had those stolen. Walking like that in New York, London or most other major cities, I can't imagine he'd last more than a day or so before they vanished. The old trick of one guy pushing you and another helping you back on your feet is enough of a distraction so you do not feel your pockets being picked. Come to think of it, how does he get on on the MRT and BTS, assuming he uses them?

Gaybutton

Re: The Temptations in Back Pockets

Post by Gaybutton »

It looks like he already might have lost something. What is that blue object next to his left shoe?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

You are lucky he didn't notice you taking the pic of his ass, as to what cities his wallet and phone would be lifted, I think on any given evening if his wallet and phone were sticking out of his rear pockets and he began to walk down Patpong from Silom to Suriwong one or both would be gone by the time he reached Suriwong.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I had not noticed that blue item until I transferred the photo to my computer. Since we had just made it half way across the expressway exit before Soi 1 and I was immediately behind him, he certainly had not dropped whatever it is. As for taking a photo of his ass, he was chatting intently with his friend and we were waiting to get across the two remaining lanes. Being right behind him, he was never going to see me taking the pic. Mind you, those behind me probably did!
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Bangkok Dangerous, one clunker of a movie. I met an extra from that soi Cowboy scene and he told me that Cage was never actually on the street. Cage was added by scowling (acting?) in front of a green screen. There's a lot of that in this film as the 2006 coup sent Cage and his entourage leaving Thailand before the shoot was complete. Two years of a lot of cut and paste to put together a film that just should have been trashed.

I'm surprised that you found a Thai carrying a smart phone in his pocket. The usual posture is to hold out the phone at chest level, text and scroll while walking forward and only occasionally looking up. What's really scary is they drive and use their phones while in a forward motion.
Jun

Post by Jun »

In central Barcelona, those pockets would be guaranteed to be empty within seconds.

In London, he would probably survive longer than in Barcelona. Possibly even a few hours or days.

In Bangkok, well I get the impression pickpocketing isn't a common problem. The fact that he leaves the stuff in the back pockets suggests he's not had an issue & doesn't know of people who have.

This kind of picture can also be seen in Tokyo, where I imagine the items are hardly ever stolen.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

In Chatuchuck market as well as the night market and the Tues. and Fri. Pattaya market signs are posted warning to beware of pickpockets somehow I doubt they are there to add to the atmosphere and not to forget the notorious pickpockets that work the baht buses in Pattaya.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:not to forget the notorious pickpockets that work the baht buses in Pattaya.
And the lady boys along the Pattaya City Beach walkway.
aussie

Post by aussie »

I have seen visiting Asians with I Phones and wallets in their back pockets in DJ Station Bangkok of all places which is a pick pockets paradise. I left there one night very late and a boy selling flowers outside pushed the flowers in my face and had his hand in my pocket at the same time. I guess he was trying to take my wallet or phone but both are attached to a chain connected to my trousers so he was out of luck on that ocassion.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

I'm always surprised by ' beware of pickpocket' signs.
Most people immediately put their hands to check that they still have their wallets thereby indicating to any nearby pickpocket where they store the wallet.