New Pattaya Traffic Police Chief vows to relieve congestion

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

New Pattaya Traffic Police Chief vows to relieve congestion

Post by Gaybutton »

I truly wish him success, but I'm not holding my breath. Even if he does succeed, I hope for once new enforcement won't fizzle out and completely disappear after a few days. We'll see.

Not that he's looking for my advice, but from my experience another major source of problems is the tour buses. I can't complain when they're driving a bus load of tourists, but it's the empty buses parking just about anywhere they feel like that causes problems. It's not just a few tour buses doing that, but literally dozens and dozens of them. I hope he tackles that problem too.

New top traffic cop aims to tackle Pattaya congestion

May 25, 2018

Pol. Maj. Arut Supanon said in a May 19 interview he plans to have traffic cops start working 30 minutes earlier – at 6:30 a.m. – so they are on the job around schools when the morning rush hits.

Pattaya’s many schools are a major chokepoint for morning and afternoon traffic and, with more opening soon, more needs to be done to control the flow of cars and motorbikes around them, Arut said.

“Pattaya’s current problems all come down to drivers who don’t obey the rules,” Arut said. “In addition to Thai residents, many foreign visitors and expats who are not familiar with Thailand’s traffic laws often hold up others.”

He plans to re-deploy officers to the most congested areas, meet with school management to enlist their help in controlling traffic, create specific drop-off/pickup zones at schools, and ensure his officers are strictly enforcing all the rules.

https://pattayaone.news/en/new-top-traf ... ongestion/
fountainhall

Re: New Pattaya Traffic Police Chief vows to relieve congestion

Post by fountainhall »

I wish the Bangkok Police authorities would do the same with schools in Bangkok - especially the kindergartens and primary schools. Unfortunately I have four relatively near me and at certain times of day traffic is clogged only because the rich mothers in their fancy cars come to collect their offspring. They don't give a damn at the inconvenience they cause to other drivers or those in taxis. One of the worst is the primary school on Sathorn Soi 1 very close to Sathorn. I am rarely out in the mornings but around 1:00 pm and then again between 3:00 and 4:00pm traffic extends almost a kilometer back way beyond the Malaysia and Ibis Hotels. Across the road and in Q House are perfectly good car parks. When I pass the latter I almost always see plenty of spaces. Why these women can not spend a few baht to park their cars instead of causing massive tailbacks beats me. And why the police let them get away with it, beats me even more. But then I expect a traffic cop has little leverage with a hiso wife!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I agree, GB, the tour buses parking are a nightmare. However, as long as they are serving the Chinese mainlanders do not expect any change!!!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:as long as they are serving the Chinese mainlanders do not expect any change!!!
Unfortunately that is exactly what I expect - nothing. Just a few days ago, on Third Road I saw a huge open area. I don't know whether it's meant for buses to park there or construction is soon going to take place there, or what, but a lot of buses had parked there and there was plenty of room for more buses. Meanwhile there were still at least a dozen buses parked on Third Road, some right in front of that area.

Pattaya does have areas that could easily accommodate the parked, empty tour buses, but as far as I know there are no regulations to force the buses to park in those areas rather than parking on the streets. It seems like an easy enough problem to solve, but so far - el zilcho.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

THat open area has been open for months and months.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:THat open area has been open for months and months.
If it has been open that long, it stands to reason that most of these bus drivers would know about it. Meanwhile many buses that easily could park there still park on the street anyway.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Maybe the owner charges and the bus drivers don't want to pay.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

From the flyover at 3rd road up the hill on Thappraya Rd. every evening both sides are bumper to bumper with parked tour buses, the big space that has been mentioned on 3rd road is partially filled in the evening with buses, I have also seen the buses attempting to make U turns on 3rd. road and on Pattaya Tai. the buses effectibely shut down one lane of traffic nitely.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"